help select the right tool

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm writing from Italy and I like to prospect for gold in the Ticino river that goes from the swiss alps to the "padana" plain.

In this river (in all the plain) we have a deposit of gold made by flat flakes of gold that range from 3mm to very fine powder, the distinctive character is that are flat flakes, no nuggets or any other shapes.

I use to prospect the river with a keene sluice, but I have 2 problems:

1 - sometimes there is no current flow in the good spots
2- this area is a park that extends all the river long, I have the permit but the laws prohibit to use mechanical equipment so I cannot use an high banker with a pump.

I was thinking to build a gold cradle (a rocker) did you have some experience with this machine ??

Upvote 3

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi I'm writing from Italy and I like to prospect for gold in the Ticino river that goes from the swiss alps to the "padana" plain.

In this river (in all the plain) we have a deposit of gold made by flat flakes of gold that range from 3mm to very fine powder, the distinctive character is that are flat flakes, no nuggets or any other shapes.

2- this area is a park that extends all the river long, I have the permit but the laws prohibit to use mechanical equipment so I cannot use an high banker with a pump.

I was thinking to build a gold cradle (a rocker) did you have some experience with this machine ??

Try a "rocker pan" design like this one. This one isn't made any longer by the manufacturer that I bought it from, but it shouldn't be too difficult to make something similar. You don't need moving water at all.
1660903025492.jpeg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't even use a 12vdc electric bilge pump and no water flow, then a good old rocker box with a loose canvass apron might be your only choice...

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would a gravity fed hose to a header box (think highbanker) be allowed under the rules? You wouldn't need much of a vertical drop as you are looking for volume of water not pressure. A 2' drop over say 50' in a light weight flexible 3" hose could work.

OP
OP
giuhalftrack

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would a gravity fed hose to a header box (think highbanker) be allowed under the rules? You wouldn't need much of a vertical drop as you are looking for volume of water not pressure. A 2' drop over say 50' in a light weight flexible 3" hose could work.
The law prohibits mechanical tools so I think pump of any kind will fall in this category, unfortunately the laws here have many shades of grey...

OP
OP
giuhalftrack

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't even use a 12vdc electric bilge pump and no water flow, then a good old rocker box with a loose canvass apron might be your only choice...
cannot find the video of the rocker on your channel can you provide a direct link to it

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Do this search on this forum as follows: "rocker box/gold cradle". Lots of good info and.... Post #9 has a link for plans for a river rocker.

Good luck.

hardrock dave

Oct 10, 2021
Angels Camp, Ca.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You can build a small dam across the waterway with local rocks and have your self a small pond if allowed.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The law prohibits mechanical tools so I think pump of any kind will fall in this category, unfortunately the laws here have many shades of grey...
Since there is no pump, no mechanics of any kind, it shouldn't be a problem. Just place a hose up stream and siphon like sucking gas out of a tank

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 10.16.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 10.16.55 AM.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
giuhalftrack

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since there is no pump, no mechanics of any kind, it shouldn't be a problem. Just place a hose up stream and siphon like sucking gas out of a tank
interesting idea for some spots :thumbsup:

OP
OP
giuhalftrack

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can build a small dam across the waterway with local rocks and have your self a small pond if allowed.
yes in certain spots i can but I'm now focused on dead branches of the river

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions