Help to identify sauce bottle

olympuslonnie

Apr 30, 2022
I found this sauce bottle during an archaeological dig. Does anyone know any information about the maker or the brand?
Thanks!
IMG_7553.jpeg
IMG_7923.jpeg

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell you anything but that it's an early BIM peppersauce.....Looks like a rolled lip, but hard to tell from here. Too bad it is not a whole one.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you assisting a university sponsored dig? Just wondering because I have been involved in this work over the years and we always put a photo scale in every picture taken whether in situ or at the lab. Just wondering, that's all.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and sorry for my bad manners....welcome to T net from sunny Florida. Please show us more!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have it, any chance we could look at the bottom?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard olympuslonnie! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

OP
OP
O

olympuslonnie

Apr 30, 2022
If you have it, any chance we could look at the bottom?
Here is a picture of the bottom. Obviously not from the same bottle. This online listing provided no other information other than a date range from the 1850's to the 1930's.
s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
O

olympuslonnie

Apr 30, 2022
Are you assisting a university sponsored dig? Just wondering because I have been involved in this work over the years and we always put a photo scale in every picture taken whether in situ or at the lab. Just wondering, that's all.
Yes, it is a university-sponsored project. I have scale photos that were taken on a camera, but I just snapped these with my phone.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply, coming up with a maker or brand may be a tall order, but I can tell you it is an older sauce bottle and wouldn't be surprised if it had a pontiled base. Please feel free to post more what's its this is a great place to get answers.Lots of knowledgeable folk here.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the premiere anthropological authority on this site it is my professional oppinion that this artifact dates to no later than the Cenozoic Quaternary period of the Holocene Epoch.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much help if that's not the base of the bottle found. It would vary considerably across the years 1850 to 1930.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with sandchip....there is a huge difference between an 1850 and 1930 bottle. A picture of a base that is not from the recovered bottle is useless for us.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it appears to be clear glass, perhaps purpled with some age, but since it is not aqua I would say post 1900 up to 1920ish. look up "vintage durkee pepper sauce"

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you looking at the bottle in situ with the stretched out neck in post 1...or the base of a different bottle post 7 ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread