Help! Trying to get to konw the E-trac

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, the snow has finally started to melt here in Michigan. I've been out and about with my new E-trac and have been hunting in the default coin mode. It seems that coins always have a high pitch squeal and jingle in at about 12-40 to about 12-46.

But I have been wondering, will a gold ring sound off in coin mode? What kind of sound would it make, and what kind of numbers would I see on the screen?

Last edited:

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
No, a gold ring can be anywhere from 12 04 up to the 12 30s. I have never found one in the 12 40ish range, that is where you find the silver, 12 45 through 12 47 usually.

You will have to dig alot of foil, can slaw, and pull tabs for rings, unfortunately, because the numbers I mentioned above for gold is where the junk is too.

You have a great detector in your hands. Take the time to learn it, and it will reward you with some of the best finds for your efforts.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marjam is right on! The last Gold ring I found surfaced after I dug 60 of the old style pull tabs that day. Also, it depends on how the ring is oriented in the ground, i.e. if the narrow portion of the ring is facing upward, the numbers will vary on the E-Trac.

There's a free software package called, "E-Trac Emulator" that you can load onto your PC. It lets you see how various coins and rings register on the screen. You can download it from this link, https://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=283.

OP
OP
Woodsy

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great! Thanks, guys, this is the information I've been looking for. So far, I'm finding this machine to be incredibly awesome to hunt with, and during the past two days, I have really fallen in love with it.

It just has an incredible feel and sound to it.:icon_thumright:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two of my best rings (both platinum diamond engagement rings worth $32,000.00) read 12-02 on the E-trac. I also have an 18K gold ankle bracelet that reads 12-01 and many stud earrings that read that too. Those numbers can drive you crazy in a park, so, you may want to self-medicate before you attempt chasing them. At a beach or anywhere you can use a sand scoop, just scoop and go with all non-ferrous targets. At the beach, I use a 2 tone ferrous program with an open screen except for a few false signal numbers that I kill off.

OP
OP
Woodsy

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two of my best rings (both platinum diamond engagement rings worth $32,000.00) read 12-02 on the E-trac. I also have an 18K gold ankle bracelet that reads 12-01 and many stud earrings that read that too. Those numbers can drive you crazy in a park, so, you may want to self-medicate before you attempt chasing them. At a beach or anywhere you can use a sand scoop, just scoop and go with all non-ferrous targets. At the beach, I use a 2 tone ferrous program with an open screen except for a few false signal numbers that I kill off.

Thanks, I have a big park/campground I am hunting and I know there are some rings there. The problem is where? There are LOTS of PULLTABS everywhere and they read about 12-16 to 12-30 on my E-trac so I guess I have a lot of digging to do.

I didnt suspect it would be easy.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodsy, also don't be afraid to dig signals that are in the "20-46" or even higher ferrous numbers. The deeper a coin is, the higher the ferrous number will be because of the mineralized soil that's between the coil and the coin. This beauty was down 10" and the E-Trac displayed "22-46".

P8040088.JPG

P8040090.JPG

OP
OP
Woodsy

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodsy, also don't be afraid to dig signals that are in the "20-46" or even higher ferrous numbers. The deeper a coin is, the higher the ferrous number will be because of the mineralized soil that's between the coil and the coin. This beauty was down 10" and the E-Trac displayed "22-46".

View attachment 1909585

View attachment 1909586

Very nice! I was out with it again today and was experimenting around by digging the other readings. One oddball reading I dug was surprisingly a nickel, but I did bring up a lot of zincs and some foil too, but I am starting to get the feel of this amazing detector. My legs are burning like crazy but I hope to get back to it tomorrow.

I had the privilege of bumping into another hunter today and he was headed to the beech with his Nox 800, he asked if I wanted to join him but I said no because I don't have my sand scoop yet. I checked on him before I left and he showed me a couple of small silver rings that he had found.

It was windy and cold, but Iam glad that I went.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Play with your varibility setting on unit. Try raising from default. Check on a silver dime and compare. You may like higher variability setting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread