Help us hunt for some awesome stuff in NY (western pref) or PA

A

arockkid

Okay, my husband and I have been on a hunt for any kind of gem or fossil or geode (especially geodes) in our area. A geology-savvy student pointed me in a few directions when he came to me for a haircut, but now he's on some funded dig across the country, and his pointers have found me a few trilobites, and brachiopods but nothing really noteworthy.

Most of all, we'd like to find geodes and have no idea where to start. We're willing to travel up to about 4 hours to do some camping with the dogs, so if there is a place that can be recommended, that'd be awesome. The student who was in pointed us to a creekbed nearby and we have been smashing everything in sight to find something, with no luck. Some round stones have 'streaks' through them that are just slightly crystalized. Nothing hollow. Are those geodes? I want to find something that would make my jaw drop, it'd make my day.

And what minerals or things of interest can we expect to find around here? I heard there are places near the Adirondacks, but can't find info anywhere.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Leslie

GabbyGEP

Mar 30, 2005
Platteville, Colorado
Leslie:
I cannot directly help you in your search, but if you contact my friend David Russel at the following email address, he can. He is a rockhound and lives in Batavia, NY. He is also a Vietnam veteran, which is how I know him. If you contact him, mention Gaylord Penton, shipsbarber, in Colorado. he knows where to pick up Herkimer Diamonds in NY area. Good luck and happy hunting.

GabbyGEP(Gaylord)

Upvote 0
J

jd161616

there are tons of locations in central PA...might be a little too far? I have been away for about a year and half now so im not sure what the status is...

ill get back to you on specific sites, but look up central pa sites for minerals and fossils if thats not too out of the question

Upvote 0

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
Herkimer Diamonds can be found and mined at the herkimer diamond mines. they have a campsite near by and its 18 bucks for the day to mine. bring your own tools for smashing open the rocks or you can rent them there. I live only about a half hour from there so if you want a buddy my hubby and i would like to join ya! if you need more info pm me! good luck on the search!!

Upvote 0

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Upvote 0

johnbelly

Mar 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, There are lots of stuff you can found on NY or PA, But Georgia Atlanta is also same for diamond stuff, You have to checkout this place for more stuffs....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread