Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I now have the pics and video of the ceremony. When my techie son has the time, he'll post them.
A sidebar: This story ran in a French magazine and one response to my friends in France, Georges and Eric, was the disclosure of another soldier's ID tag; one from WW I (Private Leroy Hawkins from Danville, Illinois who fought in the trenches of France in the famous Rainbow Division.) He survived The Great War since he was counted in the Federal Census of 1920. Of course all the GI's from WW I have now passed on, but relatives may exist. I'm working on it.
Don....

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story! Glad to have read it. Well done to the finder and to all the parties who helped get it back to the owner.
Also thank you to Mr Schueler for his service to the country!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I ever missed this before but I am in awe of you guys ! This is fantastic. :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:
A big thank you to dudule44 and Don. :icon_thumright:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Birdman:
Many thanks for the kind words; I'll pass them along to my buddy, Georges, in France. Some day soon, I hope to post the video of the Memorial Day ceremony giving that dog tag to First Sergeant Schueler.

Meanwhile, a French magazine wrote a story on this event and, as a result, another 'dog tag' was offered up to Georges, who challenged me to find the next of kin (since all WW I have now 'passed over'). This tag was from WW I. Private Leroy T. Hawkins (from Danville, Illinois). A few days ago, and with assistance from the locals in Danville, we found a living relative of Private Hawkins. Once I'm in possession of the 'dog tag' (I've seen the pic), then I'll post the story on TNet.
Don.......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don your research abilities are AMAZING Proud to know of you SIR :)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Herbert C β€œHerb” Schueler Passed away jan 4 20116 He was 93 All those that helped in finding his Tags and finding him I want to thank you all so very much :) I really like the part where a commander awarded it to him. JUST A GREAT TEAR JERKING EVENT :)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gare,
I'm glad our TN team was able to return his 'dog tag' before he passed.
The vision I keep is his face upon receiving his tag.
I can't imagine all the memories he must have experienced at that moment.
Strangely, seeing his eyes tear up was my satisfaction.
Thanks for your post.
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread