Help! What are these 3 mysterious black rocks from Dugway Geode Beds?

brentobox

Oct 22, 2021
I am brand new to the world of rockhounding after having lots of fun at Dugway Geode Beds in Utah, where I found these 3 mysterious (to me) black rocks underneath the soil. I've been trying to identify them and would love some help! My first attempt using a smartphone app suggested 'uraninite' or 'asbestos', so now I am a little paranoid I accidentally brought something dangerous into my house. Unfortunately, I'm still a little lost on the concept of crystal system, luster, cleavage, and fracture, but I'll do my best to describe the characteristics of the rocks based on my knowledge so far!

I am ordering a mineral ID kit, but from what I've scraped together DIY and my limited knowledge, here is what I know:
-Hardness: all 3 rocks is similar, approximately 3.5 on the Mohs scale (scratched by nail, not by copper penny). At least one rock seems to have experienced weathering (bottom left), but it's hard to tell with the others.
- Color: Each rock is jet black, two of them have inconsistent patterns of red polka dots and gray stripes (i.e. one rock has them on all 3 sides, another has them on only one side, etc)
-Streak: Based on my imprecise streak test, they have a white or possibly light grey streak (hard to tell which).
-Shape: Each rock has similar shape characteristics, sort of like lopsided trianges. They have a coarse texture that is almost sharp
- Luster: they are very shiny and sparkle
-Tenacity: brittle
-Magnetism: non-magnetic, or perhaps very very weakly magnetic.
-Acid: did not react with white vinegar, but I did not test their powder (how does one do that?)
IMG_2707.JPG

-Area: These were all found within 20 ft of one another at Dugway Geode Beds, perhaps on top of the soil or 1 ft underneath the surface. We did not find these in the "pit", but approximately 50 - 100 ft away or so. I know that area has tons of rhyolite, but these rocks don't look anything like that! I assume they must be related to something volcanic, though, given the context of the area.

Attachments

• IMG_2708.JPG
    IMG_2708.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2709.JPG
    IMG_2709.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2710.JPG
    IMG_2710.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2711.JPG
    IMG_2711.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 51

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Utah for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to ROCKS/GEMS for more exposure.

Upvote 0

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am brand new to the world of rockhounding after having lots of fun at Dugway Geode Beds in Utah, where I found these 3 mysterious (to me) black rocks underneath the soil. I've been trying to identify them and would love some help! My first attempt using a smartphone app suggested 'uraninite' or 'asbestos', so now I am a little paranoid I accidentally brought something dangerous into my house. Unfortunately, I'm still a little lost on the concept of crystal system, luster, cleavage, and fracture, but I'll do my best to describe the characteristics of the rocks based on my knowledge so far!

I am ordering a mineral ID kit, but from what I've scraped together DIY and my limited knowledge, here is what I know:
-Hardness: all 3 rocks is similar, approximately 3.5 on the Mohs scale (scratched by nail, not by copper penny). At least one rock seems to have experienced weathering (bottom left), but it's hard to tell with the others.
- Color: Each rock is jet black, two of them have inconsistent patterns of red polka dots and gray stripes (i.e. one rock has them on all 3 sides, another has them on only one side, etc)
-Streak: Based on my imprecise streak test, they have a white or possibly light grey streak (hard to tell which).
-Shape: Each rock has similar shape characteristics, sort of like lopsided trianges. They have a coarse texture that is almost sharp
- Luster: they are very shiny and sparkle
-Tenacity: brittle
-Magnetism: non-magnetic, or perhaps very very weakly magnetic.
-Acid: did not react with white vinegar, but I did not test their powder (how does one do that?) View attachment 1986579
-Area: These were all found within 20 ft of one another at Dugway Geode Beds, perhaps on top of the soil or 1 ft underneath the surface. We did not find these in the "pit", but approximately 50 - 100 ft away or so. I know that area has tons of rhyolite, but these rocks don't look anything like that! I assume they must be related to something volcanic, though, given the context of the area.
Welcome to Tnet!!!

Upvote 0

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good description. They definitely look volcanic to me, like volcanic glass (obsidian) with other igneous rock. Don't worry about asbestos, if there's any in there, it's not friable enough to be a danger.
Welcome to Tnet!

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's Rhyolite.

A group of extrusive igneous rocks, typically porphyritic and commonly exhibiting flow texture, with phenocrysts of quartz and alkali feldspar in a glassy to cryptocrystalline groundmass

The geodes at dugway have weathered out of the Rhyolite country rock where they were formed. They were deposited, along with some chunks of rhyolite, when wave action on ancient lake Bonneville eroded the softer Rhyolite country rock and deposited the harder geodes.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread