Lostone9

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2020
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP ORX w/ HF 9" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning TreasureNet friends! Short time lurker, first time poster. Thank you all for such an amazing community to read and expand my journey in metal detecting. The excitement of learning more about the history of my property and the surrounding area is so intriguing! So much inspiration to be found here! Recently I purchased a XP ORX and have been combing the countryside for about 6 months now! I have come across a great deal of interesting finds and so much history from this area. I was hoping to run a few of them across the eyes of the TreasureNet community for some help identifying some. The first item I'm posting comes from a recent (12-6-2020) surface find. Unfortunately, the ground is frozen down about 4" here so I have been using this time of zero snow cover to search for arrowheads and agates. I stumbled across this in my latest hunt. I believe I am near an old "dumping grounds" from an old farmstead. There is a ravine very close by and I have found numerous other items in and around this area. A side note for reference, there is a documented Native American camp located near by. Anyone have any idea on what this is beyond the obvious? Age possibly? I will post some other finds from the same vicinity as well. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0929 copy.jpg
    IMG_0929 copy.jpg
    827.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0924 copy.jpg
    IMG_0924 copy.jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0926 copy.jpg
    IMG_0926 copy.jpg
    825.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0928 copy.jpg
    IMG_0928 copy.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
L

Lostone9

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2020
Detector(s) used
XP ORX w/ HF 9" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more finds from the same area

Here are a few more finds from the same area. All found within 10 yards of each other. And a little gem as a bonus!

Attachments

• IMG_6381.jpg
    IMG_6381.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2723.jpg
    IMG_2723.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4568.jpg
    IMG_4568.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lostone9

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2020
Detector(s) used
XP ORX w/ HF 9" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hand-painted earthenware fragment, and probably early 1800's, and possibly late 1700's,
but sketchy guess for age, sorry - but, the glaze and paint is date-able, for money and the right facility to do it...!
I'm thinkin' you will go with a guess of age.
Enjoy your machine, and the research of your finds, from the property...!

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like you might have dump! I would go and check out that ravine. Ravines are sometimes used as a place too dump stuff. I have a ravine dump near my house and it has produced a lot of good finds!

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link that you can use to do some historical research in your area...

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Re...",County:"St.+Croix"&more=County,FacetSubject

You might be able to locate where they held carnivals way back when. My mother grew up just north of Wilson on a farm there. If any of the roads are still gravel in that area, you will find coins around the mailboxes because people would put coins in the mailboxes back then to pay the post man for stamps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lostone9

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2020
Detector(s) used
XP ORX w/ HF 9" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lostone9

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2020
Detector(s) used
XP ORX w/ HF 9" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hand-painted earthenware fragment, and probably early 1800's, and possibly late 1700's,
but sketchy guess for age, sorry - but, the glaze and paint is date-able, for money and the right facility to do it...!
I'm thinkin' you will go with a guess of age.
Enjoy your machine, and the research of your finds, from the property...!

Wow!! Much older then I thought! Thank you! Hopefully there will be much more to share. Have to wait until spring now to start digging again but the surface finds are always interesting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lostone9

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2020
Detector(s) used
XP ORX w/ HF 9" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link that you can use to do some historical research in your area...

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Re...",County:"St.+Croix"&more=County,FacetSubject

You might be able to locate where they held carnivals way back when. My mother grew up just north of Wilson on a farm there. If any of the roads are still gravel in that area, you will find coins around the mailboxes because people would put coins in the mailboxes back then to pay the post man for stamps.

Thank you for the link!! I was not aware you could find newspaper articles on this site!

Not much left around here that's not paved but good to know for rural areas. I had never heard that before, about the stamps.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread