Help with 6000di sl pro

walleye22

Feb 10, 2004
NC Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
I just decided to get a new metal detector and upgrade from the 6000di sl pro to an mxt pro. A friend of mine has been hounding me for the last couple years that if I ever got rid of the 6000, he wanted it. I sold it to him as I will be picking up my new detector Monday. He is having a problem with it that I have never had. The detector is beeping erratically at all times. At first I thought he just didn't know how to use it, so I went to his house. Even when the detector is sitting still on the ground the needle is going up and down and the detector is beeping erratically. I have no idea what the problem is. I never had an issue with the detector. I'm going to buy it back from him unless there is some easy fix to this. It almost seems like a connection problem, but I'm not too mechanically inclined, so if anyone has had this problem with that machine and knows a fix for it, I am all ears. The detector still works fine as we were able to locate a few coins in his front yard, but that constant erratic beeping is a real downer. Thank you so much for your time.

Walleye22

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First eliminate some problems. Check the batteries for proper installation. Check the coil plug for proper insertion. Next is em fields. Is it only doing this outside or inside. Does he have a security alarm system or buried dog fence or a neighbors. Take it to a park that you've hunted to see if it is doing it again. Remove the coil cover to check for metal or dirt. It just might be his location. Does he have his cell phone turned on? http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/Electrical Interference.htm

Good luck,
Sandman

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
i dont have the sl but i have the 6000 di/pro. like sandman said em fields can do that. also, did he take it out in the rain? i know sometimes when im out in the rain, after a while the detector goes "crazy" (and becomes unusable) but after it dries out for a few days its fine. also recheck the coil connection like sandman said. double check the battery pack. clean the contacts on the battery pack with some carb cleaner on a wad of paper towel. shine it up. (the squares on the outside of the pack) have you ever taken the box apart and blown it out with an air compressor. you can clean the tips of the battery pins.

these are the things that i would try. now i dont know if an sl is the same as mine. but this chattering has happened to me MANY times. i wouldnt worry too much about it. its never been a "permanent" problem. except for one time:

once about 10 years ago the problem became unsolveable, and i had to get a new coil. that did take care of the problem. i think we could tell because when we disconnected the coil the "chattering" would stop. but that probably doesnt 100% guarantee its the coil, it could be anything i guess.

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
Mine reacts like that when near an electric fence.The meter and beep are in sync, almost like a pulse.

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of EMI occurs where we have on the ground sitting on the pad transformers and the ones over head on power poles. My old 5000 and 6000 are extremely susceptible to interference. I use to detect at a elementary school and on one end was a transformer sitting on the ground. I could even get to about 150 feet before my detector started being erratic.

Thanks to sandman for all the good points too.

Good Luck,

TC-NM

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
moonshine said:
i dont have the sl but i have the 6000 di/pro. like sandman said em fields can do that. also, did he take it out in the rain? i know sometimes when im out in the rain, after a while the detector goes "crazy" (and becomes unusable) but after it dries out for a few days its fine. also recheck the coil connection like sandman said. double check the battery pack. clean the contacts on the battery pack with some carb cleaner on a wad of paper towel. shine it up. (the squares on the outside of the pack) have you ever taken the box apart and blown it out with an air compressor. you can clean the tips of the battery pins.

these are the things that i would try. now i dont know if an sl is the same as mine. but this chattering has happened to me MANY times. i wouldnt worry too much about it. its never been a "permanent" problem. except for one time:

once about 10 years ago the problem became unsolveable, and i had to get a new coil. that did take care of the problem. i think we could tell because when we disconnected the coil the "chattering" would stop. but that probably doesnt 100% guarantee its the coil, it could be anything i guess.
bad signal balance it happened on both my 6000/5900 and a new coil only masked the problem it came back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread