Help with excal 2 please

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all did a road trip to Half Moon bay in california both excals working fine headed south to Santa Cruz lots of black sand both detectors null out almost completely even in all metal I turned down the sensitivity to 1 I played with sens all over the place. I tried going very slow and had a hard time. picking up a penny I threw down :icon_scratch:
This is a salt water beach.
Thank you for any advise

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be in all metal mode in black sands my friend. I don't think the sensitivity does anything in all metal.

Last edited:

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that black sand!
PP and Med Sen.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is what it is in some locations. If it nulls completely in disc and you have to turn the sensitivity way down ........ switch to PP, thats your best option. It reacts more like a PI at that point with little or no recovery time. Personally, in PP id keep the sensitivity high. I see no advantage in PP to reducing sensitivity especially if there might be pockets of good sand. If you are dealing with a LOT of iron targets ..... then thats different and sometimes reducing the sensitivity can put you in the right depth for better targets.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are truly difficult conditions!

My suggestions are:
1) use the machine with the smaller coil, a large coil sees to much background noise to see the target
2) try autosensitivity
3) try pinpoint with low sensitivity and threshold below audible, good responses should break thru
4 )use very short, slow sweeps as the bad ground amplifies coil control issues. Also keep the coil still for a few seconds before starting each sweep to let the machine get a good background reading.
5) clean out your coil cover frequently if you use one
6) sweep along the length of any visible "blacker" bands, not across them
7) try a lot of different areas on the beach, you might find a good spot. Flat areas will be easier on the machine as opposed to uneven ground.
8) Have fun! Everyone else is wrestling with the same conditions.

Good luck!

Charles

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Even though hunting in PP maybe a solution I found it to be very weak in depth in black sand. If the beach has a great history of finds I would consider a PI.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pin point, slow coil movement, no pendulum swings, keep the coil flat and even across the sand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pin point, slow coil movement, no pendulum swings, keep the coil flat and even across the sand.

I once had a policeman ask me why I was "carrying a knife on the beach", I told him "for the sharks, both land and sea"..... He laughed and told me to be careful, he didn't see my .45 I was also carrying concealed.... (I wasn't in the water)

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Med Sen. allows peak performance in heavy black sand! Its like driving your car in the fog, hi-beam will blind you low-beam penetrates better. This has worked well for me!
Don't forget... reverse discrimination!
Threshold Set at bumble bee and listen for a tick or bump in the hum, dig top 2-3 inch recheck the hole, good targets will sound better stronger! Go low and slow!

Attachments

• Blacksand.JPG
    Blacksand.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 115

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread