Help with handheld pointer feedback in wireless headphones/detector muted

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Semi-experienced MD’er here, but first time out with the Simplex. The Nokta Makro Nokta Pointer I got along with the detector gives me crazy feedback through the supplied wireless headphones with the detector muted. I had maybe 30 minutes of backyard time on known targets with just the detector and the headphones....no digging or need of the Pinpointer. So first time out I got a signal I wanted to dig, pinpointed using the pinpoint feature, muted the detector and switched on the handheld...ouch! This is the first time using wireless headphones for me, is this normal? Anyone else have this issue or a solution?

Thanks in advance!
Joe

Kel1

Greenie
Mar 16, 2019
NW Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS III, bought new in the '80's and still own! Fisher F2, Delta 4000, Hunt Mate and Nokta pin pointers, and now added the Nokta Simplex+ with added sp24 coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Semi-experienced MD’er here, but first time out with the Simplex. The Nokta Makro Nokta Pointer I got along with the detector gives me crazy feedback through the supplied wireless headphones with the detector muted. I had maybe 30 minutes of backyard time on known targets with just the detector and the headphones....no digging or need of the Pinpointer. So first time out I got a signal I wanted to dig, pinpointed using the pinpoint feature, muted the detector and switched on the handheld...ouch! This is the first time using wireless headphones for me, is this normal? Anyone else have this issue or a solution?

Thanks in advance!
Joe

The Nokta pointer shouldn't sound at all through your headphones. I have the exact same detector and pinpointer and that has never happened. Are you sure it muted after you hit the mute button?

OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m fairly certain it was muted with the mute symbol....but my vision is poor and I might have missed it. I’ll try again today. If you have the same setup as me it’s most likely operator error. Thanks!

BHNugget

Aug 8, 2009
Western,SD
Detector(s) used
ETrac/X1
Sovereign GT/S1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your pointer is close enough to the detector, it may be causing the detector to false. I use the Nokta pointer with my Anfibio and get crazy noise from the Anfibio if the pointer gets too close.

Akb082317

Aug 10, 2020
PA
Detector(s) used
Anfibio multi
Simplex +
Ctx-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a common problem just change the frequency on the pinpointer, here’s how. If it’s a pulse dive.
FREQUENCY SHIFT
It is used to prevent the device from interfering with other detectors nearby.
To shift the frequency, press the on-off button while holding the (F) button pressed down. Each time you press the on-off button, a beep will be heard and/or the device will vibrate and the frequency will shift 1 step. There are 40 steps in frequency shift. The central frequency, which is the factory default, is indicated by double beeps / vibrations.
If it’s an orange pointer and your using the simplex use the frequency shift on the simplex like this:
Frequency Shift
F1 F2 F3
It is used to eliminate the electromagnetic interference that the device receives from another detector which operates in the same frequency range nearby or from the surroundings. If too much noise is received when the search coil is lifted in the air, this may be caused by the local electromagnetic signals or excessive gain settings.
To eliminate the noise caused by electromagnetic interference, try shifting the frequency first before lowering the sensitivity to obtain maximum depth performance. Frequency shift consists 3 small steps (F1-F2-F3). Default setting is F2 which is the central frequency. The selected frequency will be highlighted in black.
To shift the frequency, after selecting the frequency shift in the settings menu, use the plus (+) and the minus (-) buttons.
IMPORTANT! Frequency shift may impair performance. Therefore, it is suggested that you do not shift the frequency unless it is necessary.

OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem solved! First of all...operator error on the mute. However the frequency shift on the detector solved the issue so I can at least have the Pinpointer on when searching. The preset F2 was the most noisy and that’s what I was hearing the feedback from. Changing to either F1 or F3 cut the noise to almost nothing even while holding the pointer fairly close to the grip. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I’m still reading and watching videos but at east I can get to work learning the finer points during field use. I was a 15 year user of a White’s DFX and this is a complete shift in method of operation.
Thanks again for the help!
Joe

Last edited:

Akb082317

Aug 10, 2020
PA
Detector(s) used
Anfibio multi
Simplex +
Ctx-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem solved! First of all...operator error on the mute. However the frequency shift on the detector solved the issue so I can at least have the Pinpointer on when searching. The preset F2 was the most noisy and that’s what I was hearing the feedback from. Changing to either F1 or F2 cut the noise to almost nothing even while holding the pointer fairly close to the grip. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I’m still reading and watching videos but at east I can get to work learning the finer points during field use. I was a 15 year user of a White’s DFX and this is a complete shift in method of operation.
Thanks again for the help!
Joe

Glad it worked for you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread