Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going through some buttons I'd found recently at some Indian War sites and noticed this one was different. It's two piece, cuff button size, and has an eagle and stars so I feel like it's a military button, but not one I've run across before. The eagle is facing to its left. There's a ring of small stars around the eagle. The rim has texture and almost looks like a rope pattern. The back is rusty and seems to be of iron rather than brass. There's no makers information that I can see. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• 20210903_173939.jpg
    20210903_173939.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210903_173901.jpg
    20210903_173901.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210903_174008.jpg
    20210903_174008.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 58

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice button! I'm sure someone will be able to ID it! So many knowledgeable folks here!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the eagle have anything in its talons? Can you count the stars? I can't tell by the pics.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the eagle have anything in its talons? Can you count the stars? I can't tell by the pics.

There is a bit of damage in the lower third, but it could be an anchor and I believe I can see 13 stars with side lighting.

Upvote 0

Midwest Murph

Oct 30, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Fisher 1235-X
I'd say it's definitely a U.S. naval button. The left-facing eagle, thirteen stars, horizontal anchor (pretty sure you can see part of the loop on the lower left), lined field and rope border are all there. There should be a little cluster of three cannonballs at the bottom in the smashed area.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely not an actual US Navy button. First, note that the "detail" of the eagle and stars is quite weak, not sharp like on actual US Navy buttons. Weak detail is common on civilian-usage Fashion imitations of navy buttons. Second, note that the emblem is not surrounded by a "rope border." (The button's rope-shaped rim does not count as a rope-border.) See the photo below, which shows an actual US Navy button from the civil war era. I'll also include a photo of a common Fashion navy button to show what "weak detail" looks like compared to the crisp detail of the actual US Navy button.

Attachments

• button_Navy_US_horizontal-anchor_ScovillMfgCo_photobyRelicman_B5983.jpg
    button_Navy_US_horizontal-anchor_ScovillMfgCo_photobyRelicman_B5983.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 44
  • button_Navy-US_imitation-for-civilian-clothing_self-shank-back_frontview_Ebay_60_3.jpg
    button_Navy-US_imitation-for-civilian-clothing_self-shank-back_frontview_Ebay_60_3.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely not an actual US Navy button. First, note that the "detail" of the eagle and stars is quite weak, not sharp like on actual US Navy buttons -- but weak detail is common on civilian-usage Fashion imitations of navy buttons. Second, note that the emblem is not surrounded by a "rope border." (The button's rope-shaped rim does not count as a rope-border.) See the photo below, which shows an actual US Navy button from the civil war era. I'll also include a photo of a common Fashion navy button to show what "weak detail" looks like compared to the crisp detail of the actual US Navy button.

With the comparison pictures you can see the differences, they literally jump out at you. When the OPs and the civilian button are compared you can see the similarities.

20210904_225344.jpg button_Navy-US_imitation-for-civilian-clothing_self-shank-back_frontview_Ebay_60_3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely not an actual US Navy button. First, note that the "detail" of the eagle and stars is quite weak, not sharp like on actual US Navy buttons. Weak detail is common on civilian-usage Fashion imitations of navy buttons. Second, note that the emblem is not surrounded by a "rope border." (The button's rope-shaped rim does not count as a rope-border.) See the photo below, which shows an actual US Navy button from the civil war era. I'll also include a photo of a common Fashion navy button to show what "weak detail" looks like compared to the crisp detail of the actual US Navy button.

Thanks, CG. Had it been an actual Navy button that would've opened a whole new line of inquiry....how did a Naval button end up at an Infantry/Cavalry post miles from the nearest ocean? I know from my research that there were civilians and spouses posted at this site so it possibly could've belonged to one of them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions