Help with id.

chriseneim

May 5, 2013
Weird rock I found in Arizona. It is super heavy and my falcon md20 goes crazy when close to it. Non magnetic and has a shiny luster ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453820588.025945.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453820614.245456.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453820629.345861.jpg

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugly brown nugget? Looks small enough to do a specific gravity test on pretty easily.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Give it a whack with a hammer and let us see a "fresh" surface.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd try a streak test first. It looks like a dull gold nugget. I'm bumping a thread into the Gold Prospecting Metal detection forum for it.
Streak test is yellow~ gold. If so looks like an ounce or better ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You weigh the sample on a scale, then you set up a container of water on the scale that you can submerge the sample in. Tare the weight of the water and container. Then you suspend the sample by a thread, submerge it in the water on the scale and take that weight. Sample must not touch sides or bottom. You divide the weight in air by the weight in water that yields Specific Gravity. I prefer to hang the sample from a stick or whatever that spans between two quart jars for a nice steady reading.
I know that's what I was thinking ha how do u do the density test ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does the Falcon sound off as you approach the target and continue to increase in tone until you reach your item in question? Or, does it give a signal as you cross your item but blank as you cross it, or does the signal increase as you pull away from your item?

You've been given the instructions on how to do a specific gravity test; that will tell you something.

Does your item conduct an electric current (voltmeter)?

I'd do the streak test on a piece of unglazed porcelain tile (Google it) as well as has been suggested.

If you have the remotest idea it could be a nugget, do not whack it with a hammer!

All the best,

Lanny

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What will the magic eraser do?

I concur, do not use a hammer.

The streak test is worthwhile. An acid test will also tell you something important. Any jeweler could do that for you quickly - it is a scratch on black slate and they put a drop of acid to see if the streak on the slate dissolves.

Upvote 0

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, don't whack it with a hammer. I smashed a nice ball of crystaline gold into a pile of gold powder one time because it just didnt look right. Yep, it was gold. I wish I hadn't done that, lol

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why haven't you taken it to your local jeweler and asked them to do an acid test? They usually don't charge you.

Upvote 0

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the weight in grams/ounces?
Considering it may be a nice, big gold nugget covered in a dull "desert patina", I'd be hesitant to even do a scratch test on it.
Desert patina is unique to our region.
A lot of nuggets recovered from places like California and Alaska are found with a slight shine on them due to being water worn from active streams. Or they were found in old tailings and they've already gone through some machinery like an old dredge and they've already picked up some scratches and wear.
Was it even found in a gold producing area? What part of the state is it from?

Upvote 0

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the other hand if your detector is going nuts on it, it might just be a hot rock! Sure doesn't look like gold, just doesn't have that metallic sheen. Looks like a rock to me.

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does it weigh. if it's a nugget it will be more than an ounce two even. It looks pretty dull. It barely takes being in your pocket or a rub from a leathr glove too reveal very quickly that you have a nugget. Looks like an orange brown rock. Maybe high in iron but, it could just be the lighting.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures are hard to analyze and what can look great can be a dud ;) Thats why I bumped it to others to see their take. I've seen gold look just like the specimen your showing. However it'll help ya in the future to take a look at various testing methods, some described, to identify your finds and help others out in identifying finds. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions