397.1 KB · Views: 71
  • E755E413-DC97-4A98-AC8F-4F7053090CF7.jpeg
    E755E413-DC97-4A98-AC8F-4F7053090CF7.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 49

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be the type of mask made for decoration by the Maya Indians of Guatemala. They are modeled after the masks used by the Maya in their own ceremonies, but are more colorful and exotic-looking than the ones they make for their own use. You can find similar examples by doing an internet search for "Guatemalan mask".

Upvote 1

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a devil mask they would wear at Mardi Gras or The Fiesta De Carnaval

Upvote 1

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the creature at the top of the first picture an octopus?

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many countries have masks, Asia, North, Central and South America, Europe etc. One would need to nail down images on the mask, maybe determine the type of wood, etc to help nail down a region.

ffuries, well said!

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many countries have masks, Asia, North, Central and South America, Europe etc. One would need to nail down images on the mask, maybe determine the type of wood, etc to help nail down a region.

Agree!

This only a guess.

I didnā€™t recognise it as anything from Africa. I could believe parts of Asia, and certainly Indonesia but didnā€™t recognise it as anything traditional. What I thought at first might be an elephantine trunk is, Iā€™m pretty sure, meant to be snake-like and I talked myself into believing those black decorations at the very end resemble the rattle of a rattkesnake. If thatā€™s the case, it could only be from the Americas since rattlesnakes arenā€™t native to anywhere else. I believe it may be a Mexican dance/carnival mask.

Dance/carnival masks can have such a diverse set of possibilities that you may never find an exact match but in Mexico one popular character is ā€œEl Feoā€ (the ā€œugly oneā€). The feos acted as 'jesters' within the dance group to provide comic relief for the audience and wore hideous masks, sometimes with an absurdly elongated nose like this:

Feo 1.jpg

Sometimes the phallic nose is represented as a snake, like this one which has eyes and mouth at the end:

Feo 2.jpg

The pictures are from Bryan Stevens on the ā€˜mexicandancemasks.comā€™ website and are of masks from Paso Ancho in Mexico.

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Agree!

This only a guess.

I didnā€™t recognise it as anything from Africa. I could believe parts of Asia, and certainly Indonesia but didnā€™t recognise it as anything traditional. What I thought at first might be an elephantine trunk is, Iā€™m pretty sure, meant to be snake-like and I talked myself into believing those black decorations at the very end resemble the rattle of a rattkesnake. If thatā€™s the case, it could only be from the Americas since rattlesnakes arenā€™t native to anywhere else. I believe it may be a Mexican dance/carnival mask.

Dance/carnival masks can have such a diverse set of possibilities that you may never find an exact match but in Mexico one popular character is ā€œEl Feoā€ (the ā€œugly oneā€). The feos acted as 'jesters' within the dance group to provide comic relief for the audience and wore hideous masks, sometimes with an absurdly elongated nose like this:

View attachment 1946046

Sometimes the phallic nose is represented as a snake, like this one which has eyes and mouth at the end:

View attachment 1946047

The pictures are from Bryan Stevens on the ā€˜mexicandancemasks.comā€™ website and are of masks from Paso Ancho in Mexico.

I thought India and elephant also, but with the way the elephant is revered in images in India, I couldn't see them depicting it in a "Grotesque or Picasso" style.

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I also considered a German Fasching mask or Native American False Face mask, but couldn't find any matches. Heck I even considered a vintage US Halloween mask.....

Like RedCoat said, there are infinite possibilities in designs for a mask. Finding the exact match, might be darn near impossible, as sometimes these masks were unique in design making them one of a kind.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread