Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had this for quite a few years I'm thinking it's made of bakelite do to a hot pin gives off a rubbery smell I know it's a 50 year anniversary piece but looking for any other info I can find on it and figured I'd find it here. It's about 4 and a half inches across. You guys and gals have been great. Thanks in advance PXL_20201013_204830410.jpg PXL_20201013_204809972.jpg PXL_20201013_204803753.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It couldn’t be Bakelite since that didn’t exist until 1907. It could be gutta-percha, but it could also be ebonite (produced by prolonged vulcanisation of rubber, and sometimes improperly referred to as vulcanite). They’re sufficiently similar in their end properties and appearance that the terms are used without much discrimination for jewellery and other decorative items made from them.

Very collectible, but I would say it’s not the world’s best example. Usually, they have a cameo made from the same material bridging the gap to form a complete band and, if the ends of yours show signs that it had such a piece which has been broken off or lost, then that will detract significantly from its value.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It couldn’t be Bakelite since that didn’t exist until 1907. It could be gutta-percha, but it could also be ebonite (produced by prolonged vulcanisation of rubber, and sometimes improperly referred to as vulcanite). They’re sufficiently similar in their end properties and appearance that the terms are used without much discrimination for jewellery and other decorative items made from them.

Very collectible, but I would say it’s not the world’s best example. Usually, they have a cameo made from the same material bridging the gap to form a complete band and, if the ends of yours show signs that it had such a piece which has been broken off or lost, then that will detract significantly from its value.
I will post a pic of the ends here for you

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread