🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Help with this button...

JWT70

May 26, 2012
Screenshot_20220513-001726.png
I think this is a military button from around the 1812 period. I haven't been able to find one like it online though. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220513-001726.png
    Screenshot_20220513-001726.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 86

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You didn't tell us any information about the button which would help us correctly identify it. Both of your photos of the front are out-of-focus. Nor did you show us a closeup photo of its back.
For example:
Is it a 1-piece or 2-piece button?
Does it have a backmark, and if so, what does the backmark say?
What is the button's diameter measurement?
Where was it found?

When you make the job of this forum's ID-helpers so much harder, you should not be surprised that you've gotten no responses at all. Yu obviously did not bother to read the sticky-post at the very top of this forum, titled:
"PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ITEMS IN WHAT-IS-IT"

To salve any potential hurt feelings, I'll tell you this much about your button. Though the photos are out-of-focus, it appears to definitely NOT be a Military button. It looks like a Civilian-usage type which collectors of Historical buttons call a late-1700s-to-mid-1800s "Flower Button" -- even though sometimes the emblem is a geometric arrangement rather than a flower blossom. If it is a brass 1-piece button it dates from sometime between the very-late 1700s to the early-1830s. If it's a brass 2-piece, the dates shift to late-1830s into the 1860s.

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
JWT70

JWT70

May 26, 2012
T
You didn't tell us any information about the button which would help us correctly identify it. Both of your photos of the front are out-of-focus. Nor did you show us a closeup photo of its back.
For example:
Where was it found?

When you make the job of this forum's ID-helpers so much harder, you should not be surprised that you've gotten no responses at all. Yu obviously did not bother to read the sticky-post at the very top of this forum, titled:

To salve any potential hurt feelings, I'll tell you this much about your button. Though the photos are out-of-focus, it appears to definitely NOT be a Military button. It looks like a Civilian-usage type which collectors of Historical buttons call a late-1700s-to-mid-1800s "Flower Button" -- even though sometimes the emblem is a geometric arrangement rather than a flower blossom. If it is a brass 1-piece button it dates from sometime between the very-late 1700s to the early-1830s. If it's a brass 2-piece, the dates shift to late-1830s into the 1860s

For example:
Where was it found?

To salve any potential hurt feelings, I'll tell you this much about your button. Though the photos are out-of-focus, it appears to definitely NOT be a Military button. It looks like a Civilian-usage type which collectors of Historical buttons call a late-1700s-to-mid-1800s "Flower Button" -- even though sometimes the emblem is a geometric arrangement rather than a flower blossom. If it is a brass 1-piece button it dates from sometime between the very-late 1700s to the early-1830s. If it's a brass 2-piece, the dates shift to late-1830s into the 1860s.
This site isn't very user friendly, and That's the best Pic my phone would take. I'll try to take another one tomorrow. It's about the size of a cuff button and an RR button was found right next to it. Also there was an Eagle button (1812) foundnot far from it also. It's gold not brass. Those are stars and don't look like a flower to me. Appreciate it.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
JWT70

JWT70

May 26, 2012
T

This site isn't very user friendly, and That's the best Pic my phone would take. I'll try to take another one tomorrow. It's about the size of a cuff button and an RR button was found right next to it. Also there was an Eagle button (1812) foundnot far from it also. It's gold not brass. Those are stars and don't look like a flower to me. Appreciate it.
For example:
Where was it found?

The back is corroded up too bad to see anything or tell if it's one or two piece. It's more than likely a one piece since I've never seen a two piece come from there. I can tell you don't have a clue no matter how much info I give you. You're just interested in being a dick. Have a good one.

Upvote 0

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The back is corroded up too bad to see anything or tell if it's one or two piece. It's more than likely a one piece since I've never seen a two piece come from there. I can tell you don't have a clue no matter how much info I give you. You're just interested in being a dick. Have a good one.
CannonBallGuy is a very knowledgeable,respected and able member here.He helps in many IDs nearly every day.definitely not a "dick". He asked you for very specific info to help YOU get the button IDed. He gave you his best guess according to the little info you gave him to go on. Not the best reply you could have given. Try a little tact,it,ll go a long way for you.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
JWT70

JWT70

May 26, 2012
CannonBallGuy is a very knowledgeable,respected and able member here.He helps in many IDs nearly every day.definitely not a "dick". He asked you for very specific info to help YOU get the button IDed. He gave you his best guess according to the little info you gave him to go on. Not the best reply you could have given. Try a little tact,it,ll go a long way for you.

I gave all the info that I know to give. It's the size of a cuff button. It's very small. I'm working and haven't been able to get a clearer pic. It was found on an 1812 site. Just wondered if anybody recognized it. An RR button was right next to it. The back is in bad shape, but I'll get a pic when I can.

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an early 1800s decorated civilian button to me. 4 cross like patterns in the centre with a beaded boarder.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's not being a dick. You posted a blurry photo of a button with basically no context that would help ID it.

I agree with previous posters that it's not military and probably an early-mid 1800s civilian button. Cool find!

Last edited:
Upvote 4

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave all the info that I know to give. It's the size of a cuff button. It's very small. I'm working and haven't been able to get a clearer pic. It was found on an 1812 site. Just wondered if anybody recognized it. An RR button was right next to it. The back is in bad shape, but I'll get a pic when I can.
Nice reply. If that,s all you got,no problem.No reason to call a respected member a dick when he asks for more info and gives you his best guess on what you gave. On the right track now!

Upvote 2
OP
OP
JWT70

JWT70

May 26, 2012
Nice reply. If that,s all you got,no problem.No reason to call a respected member a dick when he asks for more info and gives you his best guess on what you gave. On the right track now!
I'm gonna try to get some better ones this evening. I've been dealing with work and family in the hospital. Appreciate all the comments.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
JWT70

JWT70

May 26, 2012
The back
The back

Attachments

• IMG_20220516_185737629_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220516_185737629_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Upvote 1
OP
OP
JWT70

JWT70

May 26, 2012
These were found close to it. That's why I think there's a possibility that it could've been a military button.

Attachments

• GridArt_20220517_110205505.jpg
    GridArt_20220517_110205505.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread