🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Help with this old ring please

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. I posted this ring on the Today’s Finds forum the other day. I believe it is copper with gold gilding. Have any of you seen a ring like this or have a guess as to its age? I found it near a cellar hole dating from at least the 1850s. The relics and coins I found nearby were all from the early to mid-1800s, so I’m guessing that is the approximate time frame for this ring. However, a knowledgeable person suggested it might be later than that, so I don’t know. Also, does anyone think this might be a mourning ring? I think the rectangular box is curious, and the black marks that I circled in blue could be adhesive, I suppose. However, I know little about jewelry or how it is fabricated, so I may be way off with this idea. I did include pictures of a couple mourning rings, as I do see some similarities. Anyway, if anyone has some insights about this ring or its age, I would be grateful. Thank you.
65D4810C-DC9E-47D7-B0BC-C35D48299565.jpeg
02600096-A405-4A6A-B32E-EE4223BCFAEA.jpeg
6DC1EAE4-51E4-4F7F-873F-9E1D4C8D09DC.jpeg
FCB1E64C-4A46-4CC8-95DF-EEF049BA48C6.jpeg 05E639C7-8F8B-432F-B015-8A08A00B3987.jpeg

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Except given it is so thin, it could be a cloth napkin ring.
Thanks for the comment and idea. This object is indeed thin, but I think the diameter is maybe too small for a napkin ring. I did not include a size reference in my post, but it is only about an inch diameter and fits my pinky finger only. Thanks again.

Upvote 3

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a beautiful find, looks to have some serious age to it. Folks were much leaner in the 19thc, due to their diets, so their fingers were a lot thinner then today. My feeling is that it's a gold plated on brass, lady's wedding ring.
Dave

Upvote 2
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a beautiful find, looks to have some serious age to it. Folks were much leaner in the 19thc, due to their diets, so their fingers were a lot thinner then today. My feeling is that it's a gold plated on brass, lady's wedding ring.
Dave
Thanks, Dave. I found a shoe buckle, some buttons from the early 1800s, an 1830 large cent, and an 1864 penny nearby. I didn’t find anything any later than that, so I am thinking this ring is from the early 1800s to the 1850-70s, but I really don’t know for sure. Brass turns green, I believe, so you may be right. Could be a woman’s ring too, particularly given its size and design. I was pretty psyched when I got it home and cleaned it, as I originally thought it was scrap or some sort of fitting. I might put a little renaissance wax on it and display it on a shelf. Thanks again.

Steve

Upvote 2

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry for the late response Steve, I was working in Western Canada all last week and spent yesterday catching up on chores around the house. :laughing7:

It's definitely at least mid-19thc and possibly much earlier, Cru might be able to help with a date range. :thumbsup:
Years ago, I invested in a ring mandrel and a small brass jewellers hammer. This way I can delicately straighten any old rings I find without damaging the metals' surface.

Here's a ladies gold wedding band I found on an c1850 - 1900 site. It's 22K and the makers mark dated it to 1805. It was badly bent from years of being in the ground, but by using the mandrel and the small brass hammer it straightened out beautifully.

Dave

Attachments

• 20151101_083102_resized_1-crop.jpg
    20151101_083102_resized_1-crop.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20151101_132147_resized-crop.jpg
    20151101_132147_resized-crop.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20151101_133019_resized-crop.jpg
    20151101_133019_resized-crop.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 4
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for the late response Steve, I was working in Western Canada all last week and spent yesterday catching up on chores around the house. :laughing7:

It's definitely at least mid-19thc and possibly much earlier, Cru might be able to help with a date range. :thumbsup:
Years ago, I invested in a ring mandrel and a small brass jewellers hammer. This way I can delicately straighten any old rings I find without damaging the metals' surface.

Here's a ladies gold wedding band I found on an c1850 - 1900 site. It's 22K and the makers mark dated it to 1805. It was badly bent from years of being in the ground, but by using the mandrel and the small brass hammer it straightened out beautifully.

Dave
Hey Dave. Work and chores gets in the way of so many things. Hope you can find the time to dig/post some coins/ relics soon, as I miss seeing your posts and handiwork.

Like you, my gut tells me that my ring is 1850 or earlier. Cru replied on my Today’s Finds post that it was possibly 1880s to early 1900s. I have no basis to disagree, especially since I am not knowledgeable of jewelry. Still, I can’t help thinking it’s older.

That gold ring is great. It’s nice that it had markings on it to help ID a date range. As always, I am impressed with your preservation skills.

Hope you had a nice summer. Take care and happy hunting.

Upvote 1

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
To my untrained eye, I’d say you’re probably correct about the mourning ring idea. It may have been completely gold plated at one point and only the tough spots remain due to weathering etc. As for age, I have no clue, but still a wonderful find. I love old jewelry of any type.

Upvote 2
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello. I posted this ring on the Today’s Finds forum the other day. I believe it is copper with gold gilding. Have any of you seen a ring like this or have a guess as to its age? I found it near a cellar hole dating from at least the 1850s. The relics and coins I found nearby were all from the early to mid-1800s, so I’m guessing that is the approximate time frame for this ring. However, a knowledgeable person suggested it might be later than that, so I don’t know. Also, does anyone think this might be a mourning ring? I think the rectangular box is curious, and the black marks that I circled in blue could be adhesive, I suppose. However, I know little about jewelry or how it is fabricated, so I may be way off with this idea. I did include pictures of a couple mourning rings, as I do see some similarities. Anyway, if anyone has some insights about this ring or its age, I would be grateful. Thank you. View attachment 2042981 View attachment 2042982 View attachment 2042983 View attachment 2042984 View attachment 2042985
Sweet find, congrats!

Upvote 2
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To my untrained eye, I’d say you’re probably correct about the mourning ring idea. It may have been completely gold plated at one point and only the tough spots remain due to weathering etc. As for age, I have no clue, but still a wonderful find. I love old jewelry of any type.
Thanks Joe. I guess I will never know for sure what this is or how old, but I still like it. Jewelry is really cool, especially the old stuff. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

Upvote 2

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Dave. Work and chores gets in the way of so many things. Hope you can find the time to dig/post some coins/ relics soon, as I miss seeing your posts and handiwork.

Like you, my gut tells me that my ring is 1850 or earlier. Cru replied on my Today’s Finds post that it was possibly 1880s to early 1900s. I have no basis to disagree, especially since I am not knowledgeable of jewelry. Still, I can’t help thinking it’s older.

That gold ring is great. It’s nice that it had markings on it to help ID a date range. As always, I am impressed with your preservation skills.

Hope you had a nice summer. Take care and happy hunting.

Thanks for your kind words Steve. :thumbsup: I also appreciate you letting me know what Cru thought about your ring. I don't see any indications that this a mourning ring though. :icon_scratch:

Mourning jewellery commonly represented a connection to a deceased loved one. Mourning jewellery often featured a tribute to the person, commonly with an inscription, their initials, an eternal knot, lock of hair, a cameo or silhouette of the deceased. Mourning jewellery comes in many styles but most were brooches, hair pins, tie pins, memorium rings and lockets. The materials used varied, but a significant amount of the mourning jewellery produced during the Victorian period was made of jet, because of its dark black colour. Jet is a fossilized coal mostly found near Whitby in the Northeast of England.

The most common symbolism of mourning jewellery includes crucifixes or crosses, plaited hair or hair-work, flowers and floral patterns, weeping willows, cameos and female busts. Other common materials used in mourning jewellery are agate, ivory, pearl, garnet, gold or yellow metal, onyx and of course, human hair.

Early mourning jewellery could be described as more macabre and symbolized the concept of ‘memento mori’ which is a reminder that you will die. This style featured depictions of death itself, such as skulls, coffins and grave diggers. Later mourning jewellery focused on the memory of individuals with inscriptions like ‘Lost but never forgotten’ and imagery of angels or clouds and flowers like the ‘forget me not.’

Attachments

• antique mourning jewellery.jpg
    antique mourning jewellery.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 1
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your kind words Steve. :thumbsup: I also appreciate you letting me know what Cru thought about your ring. I don't see any indications that this a mourning ring though. :icon_scratch:

Mourning jewellery commonly represented a connection to a deceased loved one. Mourning jewellery often featured a tribute to the person, commonly with an inscription, their initials, an eternal knot, lock of hair, a cameo or silhouette of the deceased. Mourning jewellery comes in many styles but most were brooches, hair pins, tie pins, memorium rings and lockets. The materials used varied, but a significant amount of the mourning jewellery produced during the Victorian period was made of jet, because of its dark black colour. Jet is a fossilized coal mostly found near Whitby in the Northeast of England.

The most common symbolism of mourning jewellery includes crucifixes or crosses, plaited hair or hair-work, flowers and floral patterns, weeping willows, cameos and female busts. Other common materials used in mourning jewellery are agate, ivory, pearl, garnet, gold or yellow metal, onyx and of course, human hair.

Early mourning jewellery could be described as more macabre and symbolized the concept of ‘memento mori’ which is a reminder that you will die. This style featured depictions of death itself, such as skulls, coffins and grave diggers. Later mourning jewellery focused on the memory of individuals with inscriptions like ‘Lost but never forgotten’ and imagery of angels or clouds and flowers like the ‘forget me not.’
Thanks for the info, Dave. I thought the mourning ring was a long shot. I just thought the rectangular box was interesting and might have been where the inscription was. The mourning rings I have seen on line tend to be gold or a darker material, as opposed to brass like this one. I lean toward your original guess. I.e, an older wedding band, maybe for a woman. Sometimes the mystery is what makes this hobby so fun. Thanks again. Steve.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread