Help with this quarter please???

badassbriotch

Greenie
Jun 30, 2019
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there's this coin pusher machine in my laundromat and when feeding it my
Quarters I came across this one that wouldn't fit in the slot for some reason and
After looking at it there seems to be slightly larger that ur regular quarter. And there appears to be a ring around the outer part. Also isn't there supposed to be a mint mark?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• 20211107_063846.jpg
    20211107_063846.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
  • 20211107_063803.jpg
    20211107_063803.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
  • 20211107_063747.jpg
    20211107_063747.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
Upvote 1

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters I came across this one that wouldn't fit in the slot for some reason and
After looking at it there seems to be slightly larger that ur regular quarter. And there appears to be a ring around the outer part. Also isn't there supposed to be a mint mark?
No mint mark in this case just means a Philadelphia mint, as for the rest I'm thinking some sort of damage as you can see the edges are worn smooth. Someone may have used it for something or altered it for whatever reason. Just my opinion regarding why it is different.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without seeing it in person, my best guess is that the outside rim was flattened for some reason and not just worn. The flattening process probably changed the size of the coin slightly so it no longer fits in the slot.

To verify put another quarter and this quarter next to each other and set them on edge on a flat surface. Does the coin in question stick up slightly higher than a normal quarter? As it may just be bigger in one direction, you may need to roll the quarters to see if it is bigger in any direction.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you really going to put a sliver quarter in a vending machine? I mean its your quarter do as you wish, but, yeah. I think most people here would rather add it to their silver stash.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you really going to put a sliver quarter in a vending machine? I mean its your quarter do as you wish, but, yeah. I think most people here would rather add it to their silver stash.
I have seen the ring around the outside of quarters before.

Fredy Williams

Dec 27, 2016
Ohio, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Right now AT Max, A Technics Omega 8500
minlab705 Gold, whites, garret ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok so your quarter is a mint error once I find my book I will let you know what its called
do not spend it

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1968 quarter isn't silver.

If it's a legit error it's probably broad struck. Let's see not only better pics but comparison pics with a normal quarter, ideally sitting on top of your example.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Laudromat, flattened/thickened edge, smooted/worn features. 100%, it is a dryer coin.

https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/question-about-some-coins.623999
https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/interesting-dime-edge.611803
https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/what-happened-to-franklin.594796

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1968 quarter isn't silver.

If it's a legit error it's probably broad struck. Let's see not only better pics but comparison pics with a normal quarter, ideally sitting on top of your example.
oh I thought that was a 3. lol. thanks.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I’ve seen worse. In fact, I’ve pulled worse from my own washer.

Time for more coffee.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I'm late to the party. This is definitely damage. Like galenrog said, caught in machinery an either flattened or worn down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread