Help with tree carving?

wilstache

Apr 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking around a hiking trail in north Georgia and stumbled across an area off the trail that looked like a path up the side of the mountain, not naturally created. I followed it up and found this on a tree. Anyone have any info that could shed some light?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586809402.947391.jpg

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell for sure, need a closer, more detailed picture. Kind of reminds me of trees that once had barb wire tacked to them and the tree grew around it. Also, in Georgia, a tree that size isn't relatively that old, can't quite make out what kind of tree it is, but even a slower growing hardwood in that climate would be about 75 years old give or take. If it's a black walnut (kind of looks like it to me from just the bark, but i'd need to see the leaves, maybe and ash or locust?), that tree could be as young as 30 years.

Last edited:

Sandy1devotee369

Feb 10, 2022
Can't tell for sure, need a closer, more detailed picture. Kind of reminds me of trees that once had barb wire tacked to them and the tree grew around it. Also, in Georgia, a tree that size isn't relatively that old, can't quite make out what kind of tree it is, but even a slower growing hardwood in that climate would be about 75 years old give or take. If it's a black walnut (kind of looks like it to me from just the bark, but i'd need to see the leaves, maybe and ash or locust?), that tree could be as young as 30 years.
Or it could possibly be much older, like in the case of heavy metal poisoning, of the tree. Especially if the tree was poisoned on purpose in order for it to slow the growth, intentionally. But regardless, you are looking at a secondary marker anyhow. It most likely has been re-marked. Primary markers are of stone, not trees. Unless it was hidden by an amateur.

Sandy1devotee369

Feb 10, 2022
I was walking around a hiking trail in north Georgia and stumbled across an area off the trail that looked like a path up the side of the mountain, not naturally created. I followed it up and found this on a tree. Anyone have any info that could shed some light?

View attachment 1822979
Go back to this tree. Turn yourself around 180 degrees. Then turn your sight 22.5 degrees to the left and walk that line until you come to a similar tree. It will also have moss on it. Take a picture of that tree, first from the line you are on. From different distances. Also the branches. Then take a picture from the north, west, east and south side of that tree. Post it, then I will get back to you with more information.

Sandy1devotee369

Feb 10, 2022
Go back to this tree. Turn yourself around 180 degrees. Then turn your sight 22.5 degrees to the left and walk that line until you come to a similar tree. It will also have moss on it. Take a picture of that tree, first from the line you are on. From different distances. Also the branches. Then take a picture from the north, west, east and south side of that tree. Post it, then I will get back to you with more information.
Disregard this. I know nothing. As least I wish I knew nothing.

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
I read this as a blaze with a snake head on top, meaning travel on. You should/will find other bent trees, carving trees, etc. on up the mountain.

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youcanuse a wire brush and clean the moss off. be careful not to scrub too hard. Once you have it clean, paint the carving with black latex paint using a pencil brush and make sure to keep the paint within the carving. Just the outline. Take several pictures from different angles. If you want to hide the mark, wash the paint off and rub some dirt on it.
Then post pictures to get help.
Sandy's post is good to check out also. I had a sign
on a beech tree that sent me 22.5 degrees to next sign.
Good luck.:coffee2:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see much on your 50 year old tree. Please highlight the "sign" portion.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't see much on your 50 year old tree. Please highlight the "sign" portion.
Well Charlie I think that is wishful thinking on getting another picture.
The OP posted a picture-never replied to any query
Hasn't been on the site since April 26.2020
Just another one hit wonder that happens with certain regularity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions