monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wont to show what a stone drilled hole looks like and also what carving lines by stone looks against power tool works. The 1st photo is of a hole in bone that was drilled by a stone drill drilled.jpg drilled1.jpg 1st let me point out how the bone which is soft angles all the way down to the very inside of the bone. Next notice the tapered look to it and also stone will make a polish sometimes. drilled2.jpg drilled3.jpg These 2 photos shows what a hole in bone would look like when a power tool is used an also trying to copy what stone will do. 1st notice the straight down section at the bottom of the hole. That is where the drill bit broke through at the last part of drilling. Also you can see the walls of the hole have not got the smoothness of the way the stone did. Also you can see where the bit made marks outside and inside the hole. This last 2 photos are just a straight down drilled hole by a power tool. drilled4.jpg drilled5.jpg Stevie Wonder could see that this is not right, but yet people get taken everyday with holes in repro's like this.

This next section is on what hand carving marks look like and what a power tool mark look like. drilled6.jpg This photo is what marks look like when done by hand and with a stone flake. Notice all the small cuts in the bone and the lines are not very straight. The human hand can not go in a straight line when doing this type of work, you will always off track. Also notice at the end of the lines the lines let up due to you picking up with your hand. drilled7.jpg This photo is of lines made by a power tool. Notice the lines are straighter and down in the bottom of the cut you will see small lines that run through the cut. This is what is called tool marks, made by a rotary cutting tool and also you can see where the bit dipped now an then. drilled8.jpg This photo is of a power cut and a stone cut side by side. You should really be able to see how the power cut, which is almost the same width stands out from the stone cut. If you buy an artifact or not, I would advise all to get a good eye piece scope. They are well worth it just to be able to look at what you find. These photo were taken with my phone and a $10 lens from wal-mart. I hope this helps and ask any questions, I'll be glad to help you.

Upvote 6

jjsisemore

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2017
Western NC.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these drilled holes?

Attachments

• 2017-10-21 23.16.36.jpg
    2017-10-21 23.16.36.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 20171021_205950.jpg
    20171021_205950.jpg
    972.3 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

NotJustAnotherSarah

Aug 3, 2018
IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the amazing insight. It really makes sense once you understand the perspective on it. Hope there are more great lessons to come!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wont to show what a stone drilled hole looks like and also what carving lines by stone looks against power tool works. The 1st photo is of a hole in bone that was drilled by a stone drill View attachment 1442062 View attachment 1442063 1st let me point out how the bone which is soft angles all the way down to the very inside of the bone. Next notice the tapered look to it and also stone will make a polish sometimes. View attachment 1442065 View attachment 1442066 These 2 photos shows what a hole in bone would look like when a power tool is used an also trying to copy what stone will do. 1st notice the straight down section at the bottom of the hole. That is where the drill bit broke through at the last part of drilling. Also you can see the walls of the hole have not got the smoothness of the way the stone did. Also you can see where the bit made marks outside and inside the hole. This last 2 photos are just a straight down drilled hole by a power tool. View attachment 1442069 View attachment 1442070 Stevie Wonder could see that this is not right, but yet people get taken everyday with holes in repro's like this.

This next section is on what hand carving marks look like and what a power tool mark look like. View attachment 1442071 This photo is what marks look like when done by hand and with a stone flake. Notice all the small cuts in the bone and the lines are not very straight. The human hand can not go in a straight line when doing this type of work, you will always off track. Also notice at the end of the lines the lines let up due to you picking up with your hand. View attachment 1442073 This photo is of lines made by a power tool. Notice the lines are straighter and down in the bottom of the cut you will see small lines that run through the cut. This is what is called tool marks, made by a rotary cutting tool and also you can see where the bit dipped now an then. View attachment 1442076 This photo is of a power cut and a stone cut side by side. You should really be able to see how the power cut, which is almost the same width stands out from the stone cut. If you buy an artifact or not, I would advise all to get a good eye piece scope. They are well worth it just to be able to look at what you find. These photo were taken with my phone and a $10 lens from wal-mart. I hope this helps and ask any questions, I'll be glad to help you.
Good information Thanks!

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ThiI wont to show what a stone drilled hole looks like and also what carving lines by stone looks against power tool works. The 1st photo is of a hole in bone that was drilled by a stone drill View attachment 1442062 View attachment 1442063 1st let me point out how the bone which is soft angles all the way down to the very inside of the bone. Next notice the tapered look to it and also stone will make a polish sometimes. View attachment 1442065 View attachment 1442066 These 2 photos shows what a hole in bone would look like when a power tool is used an also trying to copy what stone will do. 1st notice the straight down section at the bottom of the hole. That is where the drill bit broke through at the last part of drilling. Also you can see the walls of the hole have not got the smoothness of the way the stone did. Also you can see where the bit made marks outside and inside the hole. This last 2 photos are just a straight down drilled hole by a power tool. View attachment 1442069 View attachment 1442070 Stevie Wonder could see that this is not right, but yet people get taken everyday with holes in repro's like this.

This next section is on what hand carving marks look like and what a power tool mark look like. View attachment 1442071 This photo is what marks look like when done by hand and with a stone flake. Notice all the small cuts in the bone and the lines are not very straight. The human hand can not go in a straight line when doing this type of work, you will always off track. Also notice at the end of the lines the lines let up due to you picking up with your hand. View attachment 1442073 This photo is of lines made by a power tool. Notice the lines are straighter and down in the bottom of the cut you will see small lines that run through the cut. This is what is called tool marks, made by a rotary cutting tool and also you can see where the bit dipped now an then. View attachment 1442076 This photo is of a power cut and a stone cut side by side. You should really be able to see how the power cut, which is almost the same width stands out from the stone cut. If you buy an artifact or not, I would advise all to get a good eye piece scope. They are well worth it just to be able to look at what you find. These photo were taken with my phone and a $10 lens from wal-mart. I hope this helps and ask any questions, I'll be glad to help you.
1000006763.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread