🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Hemp rope? Did Nootka Natives use hemp?

newfyviking

Jun 24, 2007

Attachments

• DSCF2421.JPG
    DSCF2421.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 129

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All
I have a question about this old rope, is it hemp.
Thanks for your post.
What makes you think it is hemp? Looks like maybe cedar bark or some other material. I may be wrong, but hemp fibers not so large and flat looking.
Can you give some details on where found, age, etc?
It may well be hemp but does not look like any hemp rope I have seen. And I have used and smoked a lot of hemp rope.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your post.
What makes you think it is hemp? Looks like maybe cedar bark or some other material. I may be wrong, but hemp fibers not so large and flat looking.
Can you give some details on where found, age, etc?
It may well be hemp but does not look like any hemp rope I have seen. And I have used and smoked a lot of hemp rope.
Age could attributed to it as the introduction of hemp to North America is known- I don’t know when but can be found on the Internet
Tough fibers lasts a long time

Upvote 2

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Age could attributed to it as the introduction of hemp to North America is known- I don’t know when but can be found on the Internet
Tough fibers lasts a long time
I'll smoke to that.
Still does not look like hemp to me, or at least the hemp ropes bot vintage and more modern I have seen and used. The Nootka did use cedar bark for lashings I believe. But I never asked a Nootka directly.

Upvote 2

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll smoke to that.
Still does not look like hemp to me, or at least the hemp ropes bot vintage and more modern I have seen and used. The Nootka did use cedar bark for lashings I believe. But I never asked a Nootka directly.
The fiber looks a lot like raffia.I don,t know if they used raffia for rope it just looks like it.

Upvote 1

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fiber looks a lot like raffia.I don,t know if they used raffia for rope it just looks like it.
Yes it does. Much like it. I mentioned cedar bark strips because for sure they used that.
It is possible they had some raffiafarians there and if so hemp would have been present for sure.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread