Henry Brunderlin and the Lost Dutchman

LDWhitneyAuthor

Greenie
Jan 20, 2023
I was reading through an old issue of True West Magazine today, the June, 1955 issue to be exact, which boasts the cover story "60 Billion Dollars in Lost Gold". On page 8, author Ralph Coniston recounts a newspaper story about a man named Henry Brunderlin who followed a map to seven mine shafts in the foothills of the Superstitions which he claimed where the orignal Peralta Mines of Dutchman fame. The article in question is supposedly in a 1946 issue of The Denver Post. I did a search for "Brunderlin" put I didn't see any posts mentioning the man. Just curious if anyone has any information abou tthis event, or if it was even "real".

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading through an old issue of True West Magazine today, the June, 1955 issue to be exact, which boasts the cover story "60 Billion Dollars in Lost Gold". On page 8, author Ralph Coniston recounts a newspaper story about a man named Henry Brunderlin who followed a map to seven mine shafts in the foothills of the Superstitions which he claimed where the orignal Peralta Mines of Dutchman fame. The article in question is supposedly in a 1946 issue of The Denver Post. I did a search for "Brunderlin" put I didn't see any posts mentioning the man. Just curious if anyone has any information abou tthis event, or if it was even "real".
From my research, the map Bruderlin has followed was an early Spanish map, but not Peraltas. This map, deducing from its orientation, was drew about in 1600 or little earlier. For this map, the map maker had used a compass and not the true north as orientation. So, the map has a declination of about 3 degrees west of north.
If you want to read more about these seven mines, you can read here this article about https://superstitionmountaintomkollenborn.blogspot.com/2010/01/the-wagoner-golden-ledge.html

Attachments

• Bruderlin map.png
    Bruderlin map.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henry Bruderlin was from Los Angeles and married Helen Mansur of Apache Junction. The Mansur's were an old Apache Junction family. That is how he came to be around the Superstitions. He was interested in prospecting in the 40's, 50's and into the 1960's.

Henry filed several mining claims north of the Salt River on the southwest side of Four Peaks in the Mazatzal Mountains range.

Henry worked mostly alone but had for a time a partner who I believe was one of his wife's relatives.

Henry was an inventor who made his fortune by inventing and patenting a special type of bra that caught on and was revolutionary in the garment industry.

He and Helen were the parents of James Brolin, the Hollywood actor married to Barbara Striesand.

Henry was in Apache Junction in the early 80's and gave a taped interview to Dave Russell.

Henry and Helen lived at Newport Beach, CA. but would still visit family at Apache Junction into the 1990's.

Last edited:

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henry Bruderlin was from Los Angeles and married Helen Mansur of Apache Junction. The Mansur's were an old Apache Junction family. That is how he came to be around the Superstitions. He was interested in prospecting in the 40's, 50's and into the 1960's.

Henry filed several mining claims north of the Salt River on the southwest side of Four Peaks in the Mazatzal Mountains range.

Henry worked mostly alone but had for a time a partner who I believe was one of his wife's relatives.

Henry was an inventor who made his fortune by inventing and patenting a special type of bra that caught on and was revolutionary in the garment industry.

He and Helen were the parents of James Brolin, the Hollywood actor married to Barbara Striesand.

Henry was in Apache Junction in the early 80's and gave a taped interview to Dave Russell.

Henry and Helen lived at Newport Beach, CA. but would still visit family at Apache Junction into the 1990's.
Hello All: For Henry H. Bruderlin see the Arizona Times, Phoenix Arizona July 6, 1949 P.1, col 2-3, and Arizona Times, Phoenix Arizona July 7, 1949 P.1, and July 8, 1949, P.1, Col 1-3, and July 9, 1949, P. 1, Col. 2-4, and July 11, 1949, P. 1, col. 1-3 and finally, July 12, 1949, P. 1. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About three hours ago, Larry Hedrick aired a video of " Mysteries of the Superstition Mountains " which has as theme the story about Henry Bruderlin and his map.
He stated what exactly I have said, how Bruderlin map lead to the Wagoner lost gold ledge. Coincidence? I don't know.
Take in consideration, I only had a part of the map in comparison with the map from the video. I had only the map posted in " The lost Dutchman Goldmine " site, which is the same with that I posted above.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that video, Larry said how Bruderlin recognized the circle with four lines symbol in the map as a Saguaro with four stones markings embeded in it. This was wrong, because that circle means " 100 varas ".
The map says: " 100 varas from the prominent hill, on the right side downward ( marked by me in the orange triangle ), starts the region of the mine which you have to recognize ( marked by me with the blue rectangle )".
The mine is not the down circle on the map, but the invisible spot where the arrow points. All the shapes and lines on the map, including symbols, are rows of stones which resemble the shapes drew on the map, and the lines are not in any case canyons or ravines.
The symbol " down on this side of the mountain " could be seen also on the Black Top Mesa's Spanish petroglyph, that with a sun symbol beside. Also the " 100 varas " symbol could be seen on the Black Top mesa, not exactly as in Bruderlin map but very similar.

Attachments

• Bruderlin map.jpg
    Bruderlin map.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
OP
LDWhitneyAuthor

LDWhitneyAuthor

Greenie
Jan 20, 2023
In that video, Larry said how Bruderlin recognized the circle with four lines symbol in the map as a Saguaro with four stones markings embeded in it. This was wrong, because that circle means " 100 varas ".
The map says: " 100 varas from the prominent hill, on the right side downward ( marked by me in the orange triangle ), starts the region of the mine which you have to recognize ( marked by me with the blue rectangle )".
The mine is not the down circle on the map, but the invisible spot where the arrow points. All the shapes and lines on the map, including symbols, are rows of stones which resemble the shapes drew on the map, and the lines are not in any case canyons or ravines.
The symbol " down on this side of the mountain " could be seen also on the Black Top Mesa's Spanish petroglyph, that with a sun symbol beside. Also the " 100 varas " symbol could be seen on the Black Top mesa, not exactly as in Bruderlin map but very similar.
Oh man, thanks for sharing the video! I'll check it out when I get some time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread