Henry VIII Gold Necklace Found by Treasure Hunter!

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A double humiliation for high-and-mighty archaeologists who missed this beautiful, valuable, historical treasure!
🤣
Now, you know why archaeologists are always trying to discredit and demonize treasure hunters. We've proven that we're much better at finding treasure and recovering history than they are!
"The find was announced by the British Museum as part of the launch for the Treasure Annual Report for 2020 and the Portable Antiquities Scheme Annual Report for 2021. These show that 45,581 archaeological finds -- including more than 1,000 treasure cases -- were recorded in 2021, 96% of which had been found by people metal-detecting."
~Texas Jay

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/amateur-detectorist-tudor-pendant-scli-intl-scn/index.html
Henry VIII gold necklace found - 2019 - 6 month detectorist.jpg

ZXCVBNM

Mar 1, 2021
Was one of his wives wearing it when she was umm, relieved of her head?
I was thinking she probably got jealous of some other woman in his life and threw it away. I bet this treasure hunters life is feeling pretty complete right now. Happy he turned it over so we can all see but... can't say for sure that I would have done the same. They always say an amateur found stuff like this. To me, if you find something of this magnitude, your title automatically becames Golden Grand Master Detectorist. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GlowingArtist

Oct 8, 2022
Phoenix
A double humiliation for high-and-mighty archaeologists who missed this beautiful, valuable, historical treasure!
🤣
Now, you know why archaeologists are always trying to discredit and demonize treasure hunters. We've proven that we're much better at finding treasure and recovering history than they are!
"The find was announced by the British Museum as part of the launch for the Treasure Annual Report for 2020 and the Portable Antiquities Scheme Annual Report for 2021. These show that 45,581 archaeological finds -- including more than 1,000 treasure cases -- were recorded in 2021, 96% of which had been found by people metal-detecting."
~Texas Jay

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/amateur-detectorist-tudor-pendant-scli-intl-scn/index.html
View attachment 2067943
Wow, and I am suppose to be related to him too.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I was thinking she probably got jealous of some other woman in his life and threw it away. I bet this treasure hunters life is feeling pretty complete right now. Happy he turned it over so we can all see but... can't say for sure that I would have done the same. They always say an amateur found stuff like this. To me, if you find something of this magnitude, your title automatically becames Golden Grand Master Detectorist. Just my opinion.
Yes, Imperial Grand Poobah

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
🤣

What a ridiculous statement. The pendant was found at elbow-depth in an open field that has not yielded any other artefacts of this significance and was not recognised as a potentially fruitful site (by anyone). It was a chance find by a detectorist only 6 months into the hobby. Not a humiliation for archaeologists at all.

The whole purpose of our Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) is to encourage detectorists (via legislation including the “Treasure Act”) to report their finds such that maximum historical knowledge can be gained and important pieces are preserved for the nation such that all can view them (for free, since museums housing national collections do not charge admission fees). The Treasure Act also provides for rewards to be paid in the event that the museum services wish to acquire items on behalf of the nation.

This is England (and Wales and Northern Ireland), not America... and things work differently here.

The PAS very much recognises the contributions made by the detectorist community but what is demonised (with full support from the law) is illegal hunting without landowner permission and the concealment of important finds for illicit personal gain. In effect, a distinction between “detectorist” and “treasure hunter”.

It is wonderful to see archaeology and metal-detecting across the country thriving – helping to uncover treasures which deepen our understanding of our shared national history. Supported by the success of the Treasure Act, it means that hundreds of wonderful discoveries are now in museums across the UK where they can be enjoyed by everyone. [Lord Parkinson of Whitley Bay - Arts & Heritage Minister]

The finds recorded by the Portable Antiquities Scheme have been found by everyday people (not archaeologists), mostly by those enjoying their hobby of metal-detecting. These finds, if recorded, are making a massive contribution to archaeology and (as in the case of the Henry and Katherine pendant) helping to transform our knowledge of Britain’s past. [Michael Lewis - Head of PAS and Treasure at The British Museum]

That is amazing. That must have been painful to turn over to the authorities.

The pendant has not yet been assessed by the Treasure Valuation Committee, but Mr Clarke is certainly due to receive a sizeable reward, which he has already agreed to split with the landowner.

Was one of his wives wearing it when she was umm, relieved of her head?

The pendant has been assessed as having clear symbolism for Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon (who used the pomegranate bush as an emblem). They married in 1509, separated in 1531, and the marriage was annulled in 1533, but Catherine lived on until 1536. Rumours that she had been poisoned were fuelled by the discovery of a black growth on her heart when she was embalmed but modern medical experts are in general agreement that the heart discolouration was due to cancer, which was not understood at the time.

Detailed analysis of the iconography and historical records suggest that the pendant may have been commissioned to be worn or given as a prize at one of the major tournaments of which Henry was so fond, around the time of the famous “Field of the Cloth of Gold” in 1520. The workmanship suggests it was hastily made. Its size suggests it would only have fitted a woman and may not have been meant to be worn at all… certainly not by either Henry or Catherine.

Helpfully, the decoration for the pendant includes a black enamel, the ‘recipe’ for which changed in the 1520s and 1530s. Analysis of the enamel has established it to be the earlier version.

For sure the kind of analyses conducted by the museum services would not have been possible if the find had been concealed or sold on the black market.

By the way, is there some symbolic meaning to the white gloved ruby?

The symbolism of the white glove (emerging from a cloud) that forms the clasp hints at a possible link to the imagery used at the “Shrovetide Jousts” in 1521, which the BM regards as the probable date for the pendant.

Clasp.jpg
[Image Copyright: Birmingham Museums Trust]

Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
What a ridiculous statement. The pendant was found at elbow-depth in an open field that has not yielded any other artefacts of this significance and was not recognised as a potentially fruitful site (by anyone). It was a chance find by a detectorist only 6 months into the hobby. Not a humiliation for archaeologists at all.

The whole purpose of our Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) is to encourage detectorists (via legislation including the “Treasure Act”) to report their finds such that maximum historical knowledge can be gained and important pieces are preserved for the nation such that all can view them (for free, since museums housing national collections do not charge admission fees). The Treasure Act also provides for rewards to be paid in the event that the museum services wish to acquire items on behalf of the nation.

The PAS very much recognises the contributions made by the detectorist community but what is demonised (with full support from the law) is illegal hunting without landowner permission and the concealment of important finds for illicit personal gain. In effect, a distinction between “detectorist” and “treasure hunter”.

It is wonderful to see archaeology and metal-detecting across the country thriving – helping to uncover treasures which deepen our understanding of our shared national history. Supported by the success of the Treasure Act, it means that hundreds of wonderful discoveries are now in museums across the UK where they can be enjoyed by everyone. [Lord Parkinson of Whitley Bay - Arts & Heritage Minister]

The finds recorded by the Portable Antiquities Scheme have been found by everyday people (not archaeologists), mostly by those enjoying their hobby of metal-detecting. These finds, if recorded, are making a massive contribution to archaeology and (as in the case of the Henry and Katherine pendant) helping to transform our knowledge of Britain’s past. [Michael Lewis - Head of PAS and Treasure at The British Museum]

The pendant has not yet been assessed by the Treasure Valuation Committee, but Mr Clarke is certainly due to receive a sizeable reward, which he has already agreed to split with the landowner.

The pendant has been assessed as having clear symbolism for Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon (who used the pomegranate bush as an emblem). They married in 1509, separated in 1531, and the marriage was annulled in 1533, but Catherine lived on until 1536. Rumours that she had been poisoned were fuelled by the discovery of a black growth on her heart when she was embalmed but modern medical experts are in general agreement that the heart discolouration was due to cancer, which was not understood at the time.

Detailed analysis of the iconography and historical records suggest that the pendant may have been commissioned to be worn or given as a prize at one of the major tournaments of which Henry was so fond, around the time of the famous “Field of the Cloth of Gold” in 1520. The workmanship suggests it was hastily made. Its size suggests it would only have fitted a woman and may not have been meant to be worn at all… certainly not by either Henry or Catherine.

Helpfully, the decoration for the pendant includes a black enamel, the ‘recipe’ for which changed in the 1520s and 1530s. Analysis of the enamel has established it to be the earlier version.

For sure the kind of analyses conducted by the museum services would not have been possible if the find had been concealed or sold on the black market.

The symbolism of the white glove (emerging from a cloud) that forms the clasp hints at a possible link to the imagery used at the “Shrovetide Jousts” in 1521, which the BM regards as the probable date for the pendant.

View attachment 2079783
[Image Copyright: Birmingham Museums Trust]
Thanks for the historical background. 👍🏼

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Most people with English ancestry in the US and everywhere are related to a royal line. It is common!
I don’t believe you understood my statement. I was referencing how the detectorist must feel after the find. I was saying that you would feel at the highest level after such a find. Imperial Grand Poobah being a title of humorous importance. I am a mix of English, Scottish and Native American. I love these stories.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imperial Grand Poobah is a complement....

Nice discovery.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Most people with English ancestry in the US and everywhere are related to a royal line. It is common!

Heheh sure it is, cough cough :wink:

Reminds me of those fancy family tree posters advertised in the backend of old magazines, showing the English king & queen lineages at the roots and branches, with plenty of "empty spaces" for the customer to fill in their own family names!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not judging good or bad regarding policies and laws, but can you imagine the enormity of the historical finds on U.S, soil that we'll never see or know about?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread