Here it is!

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture of the inside of the cave with the mine entrance. This is the rich mine Swift spoke of in his journals. I found it April 25th of this year (the last mine I had to find). I also have pics of the cave entrance and all the surrounding landmarks Swift mentioned (they will be pictured in my book). The main entrance was on the second ledge, in red sandstone and had a chestnut burr rock above the entrance, just as Swift stated. Also, I have pics of all the surrounding landmarks, as well as the other mines, landmarks, etc. Swift mentioned.

The wooden planks inside the mine have been found to be locust. A sample is currently being carbon dated and I will include a result of the dating in my book as well.

Attachments

• small image of rich mine inside.jpg
    small image of rich mine inside.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 4,410
OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My good friend, Ralph Hurst, is the person who is having one of the wooden planks carbon dated for me. He has already had the wood confirmed to be locust (as I suspected).

Also, Ralph and I have talked about the entrances to the mine and cave being once sealed with masonry. From showing this pic to some experts on the Coast, Ralph has also had a confirmation that this mine entrance was more than likely once sealed with Colonial Masonry.

When my fiance' and I first entered the cave shown in the pic, it was undisturbed. There was a 7UP can that was inside the cave (as can be seen in the pic). This, I believe, due to the undisturbed nature of the cave, was simply thrown in by a Deer Hunter in the past, as we had to get a rope/ladder to get into the cave ourselves. The opening of the cave is about the same size as the mine opening in the pic - the size of a hogs-head barrel.

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rebel. I still hope you can make it down for a tour after my book is out. :icon_study:

I had gotten several e-mails from people wanting some pics of some of the markers, I simply decided to show the inside of the rich mine to everyone instead. :thumbsup: Plus, this would put the skeptics to bed! :wink:

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L37 the pic. is of the INSIDE of the cave. I have not shown the outside pic of the cave opening on the second ledge - that will be pictured in my book. I only showed the inside of the cave the rich mine is in (with the rich mine opening) b/c it was not outside and nobody could get an exact reading of where the rich mine is from this pic.

As for the turtle back rock, I have shown pics of it to a few people, including Mike Steely, who said it was "definitely a turtle back rock", unlike some he had seen claimed to be turtle back rocks.

L37, I don't know what your "agenda" is. However, I have pics of ALL the landmarks and will give readers their exact locations (and locations of the mines/furnaces) in my book. AND, these locations match Swift's journals EXACTLY! I even walked off the poles from one of the furnace rockhouses and the tree with the large limb is still there (only there is a "dip" in the ground where the kegs of crowns once were). I have shown this pic to only relatives and Ralph Hurst, but it will be in my book also.

Again, what a lot of people "forget" is that Swift mentioned the rich mine was in a cave or a "bear's den" (when Munday and his father tracked a bear to the den and found the rich mine inside the den or cave). THE PIC ABOVE IS NOT THE OPENING TO THE CAVE OR ENTRANCE - IT IS THE INSIDE OF THE CAVE AND SHOWS THE RICH MINE OPENING! The actual cave opening is in red sandstone, on the second ledge of a cliff, AND has a chestnut burr rock IMMEDIATELY ABOVE THE OPENING. Also, it is behind the rock fallen from another rock as you go down the clift on the drain the mine is on AND the next larger drain over (will not give a direction here, but will in my book) has a haystack rock at the head of the drain - again, I have shown these only to family and Ralph Hurst as of now.

Also, I have pics (in the vicinity of the Rich Mine - that I will give directions to in my book) of the half-moon rockhouse, buffalo rock and the table top rock.

I am 110% certain I have found all the mines (even the first one mined before the crew moved their operations), as well as the two furnace rockhouses or caves AND an even more ancient furnace that was probably used by the Shawnee BEFORE Swift and his crew!

I also have found physical evidence, including a Silversmith's "chasing hammer" with metal handle from the 1700's (at the furnace rockhouse on a ledge between it and the waterfall), the wooden timbers inside the rich mine (which Ralph has already found to be locust and is having the date checked by some very reputable sources), among a couple other "surprises" that will be in the book!

L37, if you don't believe, that is fine. All I ask is that you read my book when it comes out. After you see all the pics and I piece the puzzle together for the reader and tell them where they can go view all of these wonders for themselves, you will be positive I am correct as well! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L37, it is funny you talk about my "location" being wrong for Swift's mines. I don't remember telling the location on here to anyone at all. The only member of this forum who knows the locations is Ralph Hurst. I have been all over the mountains of KY hunting for around 30 years, so I am also familiar with this area. I do know, as in the case of the late Paul Henson, one might find a couple of Swift's landmarks in an area. However, neither Henson nor anyone until myself has found all of the landmarks in the areas Swift gives them in his journals.

The main reason I am not revealing any locations yet (before the book comes out) is NOT to sell books. These type books will NEVER be on the NY Bestseller list - I know that. I would be lucky to sell enough books to cover my expenses in fact. The reason I am not revealing any locations yet is b/c I don't want someone else to get credit for my work and Ralph is coming down this Fall/Winter to aid in some ongoing research related to Swift.

You state a tree 250 years old would be "petrified"! Well, this is completely WRONG! If you visit any National Park, you can find trees well over 500 years old still alive and well. Tell you what, I am so confident this tree is at least 250+ years old, you get a tree expert with the proper credentials (from a University or State/Federal/Private employee who specializes in aging trees) and I WILL take this person to the tree and let them get a "core sample" to properly age the tree. The only thing I would ask in return is a copy of their results for my book.

As for the silver veins, it is going to require some MAJOR EXCAVATION to open up these mines to reach the veins (where Swift and his crew sealed and covered their work when they left in 1769). I have excavated back 12+ feet into the mine shaft at the rich mine, as I simply wanted to reach the moulds (which would be irrefutable proof). However, the mine shaft is simply too small to excavate more than a half-shovel full of dirt at a time - it is really only big enough for someone of my size to fit in - not work in.

I am sure their will be skeptics. However, when I put all my evidence together in book form, it will be hard for people to refute. Also, I am sure there will be people who wanted the mines to be in other locations and will be angry and continue to believe they are correct.

Again, when I refer to these landmarks as being a small part of my proof, I am NOT referring to the fact that I found these landmarks, as you mentioned - they can be found in many areas. This part of the proof is that these landmarks are the distances and locations from the mines and two furnace sites that SWIFT stated in his journals!!!!!!! You will NOT find two areas this exact in the world (exact to Swift's directions), much less KY and the Appalachians.

One last thing - you state that you are not writing a book and I am (which is why I won't show more). Well, then you CAN show us the mine and everything - go ahead, as I would LOVE to see your pics!

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L37, below is a post you made in this Swift section, that started another thread about the mines (down from this one).

I hate to say this, but over half the carvings you mention seeing in your area were NEVER mentioned in any of the 30+ Swift's Journals I have read! Sure, there are several old carvings in different areas and several "landmarks". Again, the key is to find all of them together and in the "areas" Swift states (in relation to the mines, rockhouses, etc.). Also, from my research, Swift did NOT mention any carvings at the actual mines (nor would he have wanted to carve anything too close). The carvings Swift mentions are "on the trail to the mines" - starting at various spots in the journals and around some of the cache sites. The only indentifiers Swift ever gave that were close to the mines were shapes of rocks and descriptions of the mines themselves (ie: on a second ledge, red sandstone, opening the size of a hogshead barrel).

I have found the blue rock with three "chop marks" on it where Swift buried crowns. However, most all of the other "signs" he gives in the journals (in relation to the buried caches) were carved on trees - these are no longer standing anywhere near the blue rock. YOU, YOURSELF, stated there are no trees 250+ years old, so how did you find any of Swift's signs then?

There has been a lot added (and some subtracted) to most Swift Journals through the years. Also, I will give a few reasons in my book why the latitude and longitude numbers are NOT reliable, even if the journal one has was copied PRECISELY!

I am NOT saying you have not found a mine or mines. However, from the symbols you state, they seem to be Indian and maybe Spanish mines but NOT Swift mines - especially the 1717 carving you found (which predates Swift by decades). Also, as many Swift buffs will tell you, people made carvings in the KY mountains (and other areas) as early as the early 1800's, trying to sell land or sell someone a journal or scam money some other way. I have spoken to several people in the area I found Swift's mines and have heard stories about people, especially during the Depression, carving trees and rocks with JS and other signs supposedly associated with Swift. The few carvings I have found that I believe to be Swifts I had to hunt HARD to find as they were covered with moss from age!

Again, ALL of the Swift Journals I have read (which I believe to be from the same original source, as there are too many similarities, which I will cover in my book as well), NEVER state Swift carving anything near any of the mines!!!!

There are many carvings and petroglyphs associated with the John Swift Silver Mines, here are the ones I know of that are documented by very good sources and what I believe pertain to his upper mines, there are many, but first let me point out a few things.
I know where many of the carvings, I am going to mention are located and others approximately, because I have not been there to observe them but they are there and documented as well, by very good sources and are nearby as well. For over 30yrs I have studied the lengend, folklore and various stories and books by Paul Henson and Ralph Volker, Draper manuscripts fragments an other details etc. as well as, and most importantly the carvings and petroglyphs on my trips to the area of the mines. Some of the carvings were left by the Native Americans Indians, as well as, the many early european pioneers, traders, and miners that were with Swift, and later on possibly some of their relatives and maybe even local people who may have known or know of them presently. ( this is a good reason for one to be prudent when looking for the mines, as well as, other dangers). Over the years I have marked the locations of the various carvings and petroglyphs, that I know of, in the area that I search, on topographical quadrangle maps. I will only say that one can follow the carvings from a certain point that Swift mentions in his journal and by deduction and carefully studying their locations and extensiveness thoughout Ky, "will leave you asking some some very important questions, to yourself as it did for me. After careful scientific study through the techniques of map surveying and topo art, ("which is" using the "carvings" as small geo maps, to match the topography of the surrounding terrane) and many years of deduction and by paying close adherence to Swifts journal, by keeping in mind the landmarks and geologic structures that he mentions, that "have to be present" within the mine area, the route "he said" that "he" traveled and the objective that he was trying to find, to locate the mines on his first trip, as well as, taking into consideration the routes, trails and traces and gaps that "he said he" was using in his journal, as he came into and out of KY, and the locations of the carvings" historic markers etc., "will lead you to the area of his upper mines". This is still a very large area once you get there. It took me many years to narrow it down within the area, I have always believed them to be in, "and believe me it is a needle in a haystack". By taking the carvings and applying them to the terrane through the techniques of, (Topo art) and extensive scientific map survey of the locations of the random carvings, in my area, as well as, very good familiarity with the surrounding area and knowledge of its early and recent history, etc., I have been able to discover their location exactly. Now here are the carvings that I have studied over the years, some of them were very useful and are evidence in themselves topographically of the exact location of the "Upper mines". Remember it took many many years for me to narrow the location of the mines down, because there is much redundance in the surronding topography of the terrane, "but this is exactly why many of these carvings were used" these men were smart and knew the area very well and carefully chose these carvings so as not to give away the location of the mine, but back then they would never have dreamed of topo maps. Enough said!, here are the carvings I know of, I will try to describe them, (Blackburns Anchor, the S.J.M, the 101, the M, a dot above it, the notched "S", The lettters EP, RR and FF, the skull, the foot, the perpendicular pair of feet, the bear paw, the left hand, the shell turtle, the circular turtle with head and feet and tail, the vulva, the turkey track, the bow and arrow, the 7 and 5/8, the 102..^, the circle within the circle, the oval within and oval with two elk tracks next to it, three pair of elk tracks, the half sun with three rays, the smiling sun with sunglasses and a j-shaped mouth, 1717t, .WW., the stick man, the mans face, the indian head, the spanish soldiers head, the insect or six legged bug, the figure eight, the human figure of head and shoulders, and the most important one, " the hexagon or square compass and trowel", as well as, other carvings,,motiffs and indian symbols. These are the carvings I am familiar with and the ones I used, which proved to be enough. They are the key carvings to finding the exact location of the upper mines, and their significance pertain to the Lost "Upper "Silver Mines of Johnatan Swift. Remember in the area of the mines there must also be a lighthouse, a buffalo rock, a haystack rock, two monument rocks - (one twenty five high the other thirty five feet high) out in front of his rockhouse, which faces east, a hanging rock, a staircase, a peculiar rock, a rock that stands, a rock that leans against the cliff, all of these must be present there are other facts and details as well. All of this, I have studied and searched for over the many years and many trips to the area, and by using the science of deduction, map survey, and topo art techniques, historical evidence, etc. and great familiarity of the land and much diligent study and fun!, has finnally payed off and lead me to, the exact location of the Lost "Upper Silver Mines of Johnathan Swift. I am presently and actively persuing my discovery and (I am presently reproducing a historical chart, through map survey), which would be a facimilly or reproduction of the survey lines or important survey papers that Swift lost to the Indians when he was attacked, which may lead, "in the future " to the discovery of the lower mines and other caches buried by Johnathan Swift, hopefully!, I will keep ya'll informed, scoffers too.

Sincerily
Swifty (L37something/Johnny's Lighthouse)

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, there was some post on here by L37 - it is gone now.

I NEVER said I found the upper mines of Swift's. I will explain all of this in my book. You are correct about what you stated Swift stated (went SW along a Great Ridge). You are simply starting at the wrong spot I believe. I will tell where Swift's crew split up AND give evidence that Swift worked the LOWER MINES! Also, there were TWO Swift's (John and William) in the crew and Montgomery worked with them as well at the LOWER MINES! Again, I will explain all of this in DETAIL and I have found ALL of Swift's markers where he stated they would be in relation to the rockhouses and mines (and have pics of them - Ralph has seen more than anybody except myself and immediate family).

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW - there has been Silver found in the area I am in as well, not simply Silver in a creek, but Silver Crowns/bars/ore and kettles, furnaces, etc.! I do know of a few Silver Mines in the areas you speak of - however, those were French Mines and I will detail this in the book as well.

Also, I KNOW the river Swift did not know by name!

One last note - I will answer any/all questions by anyone here. I am simply not at the computer 24/7 and it may require a day or two for me to get back and post an answer. Don't get bent out of shape, as I will respond eventually (unless I am sick or dead). :thumbsup: :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct about Gist. I also have some more info. on him and his relation to the Swift crew.

As for the river, I am not mentioning the name here.

You, as Henson and others before you, state that Swift went SW and the rest of the crew went W when they split up. Fine, my old copy of a journal says the same exact thing. HOW IN THE HECK DO YOU GUYS GET THAT SWIFT WORKED THE UPPER MINES THEN????? :icon_scratch: If you go W and I go SW, I am going to be BELOW or SOUTH of you! Swift was SOUTH of the other crew members - hence, the LOWER MINES!!!!!!!! Also, I have other information which supports this as well, but will not go into detail here.

BTW - did you see where I mentioned I found an old tree that had Gist's name carved in it at the top of a clift? Gist played a BIGGER role in the mines than people give him credit. He even did some smelting near Coeburn and hid some Crowns as well! I have been in touch with people who have searched that area in the past (or their relatives did). Unfortunately, the smelters are now gone, but I have info. on them that I will write about and info. that points to Gist.

I do believe you (Beale) know what you are talking about, as you make MANY great points. The only one I disagree with is that you seem to believe (as did Henson and others) that Swift worked the UPPER mines, when the journals SPECIFICALLY state he worked the LOWER mines!

Also, in my research, there were more than one Jonathan Swift in Alexandria. There were NO Jonathan Swifts in the Yadkin, but were FIVE William Swifts!

That's enough "fishing" on your part - you will have to read the book next year for specifics. :icon_study:

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I have always thought it would be easy to take the Gist Journal and find the ore he spoke of (that shown like brass). IF it is gold and has not been mined, and is as rich as Gist stated, it would be well worth the trouble! :thumbsup:

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This is an interesting topic....look forward to updates.

As for trees....I can also atest to very old trees still stand tall and proud....we have one at our Boy Scout Camp, which has been named the PIPSICO TREE...it's 400 years old!!! A Huge CYPRESS!!! Here's a pic.....next time I have to remember to get the whole tree...of course, from a distances!!!!

Good luck on your research!
YIS & YIMD,
Annmarie

Attachments

• Imgp2524b.jpg
    Imgp2524b.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 3,563
OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R&A thanks for your post. You are so correct about there being trees still standing that are hundreds (and many trees that are thousands) of years old. The tree I have pics of (that Swift buried Crowns under) is still not large, except for the large branch Swift mentions near the bottom of the tree - it is HUGE. Also, I believe the tree survived a lot of the clear cutting by being in a rough area near a creek, as other trees Swift mentioned are long gone.

As soon as my search for the Great Cave ends, I will publish my book and have it available. NOBODY will be able to dispute any of my findings as I have pics of everything, old maps, journals, and everything is where Swift stated - even down to the exact pole from the main furnace rockhouse! :wink:

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beale, one last thought on one of your statements. You stated Swift and crew could have traveled as fast as the long hunters - 20-30 mile per day. There is no way Swift and his crew could have traveled this fast. First of all, they supposedly had several mules. Going to the mines, they would have had several supplies/tools/etc. Coming from the mines, they were weighted down with silver crowns. Myself, as well as many other historians, researches, etc. have about the same conclusion - that Swift and crew would have been hard pressed to travel 15 miles per day - especially given the pack train size and terrain. Anyone who has been in this area of KY knows how clifty and full of laurel the area is. To make his journey "shorter", Swift did use mountain man techniques (following ridges and creeks/branches) and did follow a lot of Buffalo trails - this is the only reason I have given his crew the benefit of a doubt of traveling 15 miles per day. TBH, I have researched areas on topos/old maps/other maps/etc. and said to myself this is only around a quarter of a mile at most, I will be there way before noon, get this done, and be out at this time. Well, it is an entirely different story in this area of the mountains! I remember finding Swift's first mine (the one he mined in 1761 before moving to the other three richer mines). I didn't travel over a quarter of a mile, and didn't find anything until I went out (almost dark - after I started at daylight). I found this one that day by PURE LUCK, as I found it following a game trail out of the area! Again, I had the advantage of topos and other maps as well, that I researched before going into the area!

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beale, I have stated several times I will not make any "profit" on the book. I will however show people where the mines are in B&W and they can go to the places and see for themselves as I have done. That is all I want to accomplish - be the 1st to write in book format where the mines are at.

BTW - I KNOW the caches are long gone, as I have found the sites and the large "dips" in the ground. I NEVER stated Swift or his crew found all of them. Most look as if they were found 50-100 years ago by the looks of the overgrowth. I also have some good ideas on who found them (including one of my "friends"!).

Again, here is YOUR quote from above (and it is also stated this way in MANY of the Swift Journals I have read/own). IF SWIFT WENT SW AND THE REST OF THE CREW WENT WEST, SWIFT WOULD BE BELOW THE OTHER CREW MEMBERS - HENCE, THE LOWER MINES!!!! Simply b/c Henson or someone else (seems like you have read Prather's book as well, with some misinformation you have) wrote Swift worked the Upper Mines, doesn't mean he did - ESPECIALLY since Swift himself states he went SW and the rest of the crew went West! The next year, he simply states they cast lots to see who worked which workings and doesn't mention where he went - although, reading his journals, it seems he pretty much stayed at the lower mines he worked the first year when the crew split and he went SW.
Swiftsearcher, I know you are pretty sure of what you have found as it being the upper mines of Jonathan Swift, but I have to differ. First of all Swift said he went along a mountain range to the sw

Also, IF Swift as you mentioned lived until the 1830's, he would have been over 120 years old!!! I say this b/c most every journal of John's states he was born in 1712. Also, the consensus is John Swift died in 1800. I believe you are getting these wrong "facts" from Prather's book. Prather did a lot of good research. HOWEVER, he speculates TOO MUCH! The John Swift you are referring to is the WRONG Swift! Also, I think you are getting all of this "Rich Mines being farther West" from Prather as well. Prather believes the Rich Mines are near Ft. KNOX - this is LUDICROUS! Hell, there are no huge mountains/clifts/laurel in this area of KY! Again, all one has to do is go by both William and John Swifts' journals and they will point you in the right direction and it is definitely NOT Ft. Knox or The Grand Canyon as some have stated! :thumbsup:

So, by your post, you are stating now that SW is ABOVE West!?!? If not, then Swift DID work the LOWER MINES! If so, then you need to go to a map class (as I have taken several during my years in the military and SW is always below West).

Again, simply b/c Henson and now Prather (or the guy who claims the mines to be in The Grand Canyon) state something does NOT mean it is true. People are getting away from what the SWIFTS stated in their journals and listening to these authors. I never met Henson (God rest his soul). From what I have heard, he was a great person. However, his books/claims are full of MANY contradictions - even from the journals he has printed before his claims in his books. Ralph and I have discussed this and Ralph has stated it seemed as if Henson wanted the mines to be in a certain area and then tried to make everything fit his area. This is NOT how one finds a treasure/mines/or any area. You start with the directions and go from there - you don't start with your thought on where the area is.

I apologize if this post is rather blunt. I am simply trying to get my point across that SW is below W and Swift worked the lower mines. It seems that this would be common knowledge as the journals and Beale have stated these facts (Swift going SW along a great ridge and the rest of the crew going West for a considerable distance).

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beale, I am glad we finally agree that Swift worked the Lower Mines! :thumbsup:

BTW - it is not really your fault, as I have seen Henson write that Swift worked the lower mines sometimes and the upper mines at others.

Sorry, but I am really not giving out any specifics until my book comes out. I might post on here the tree with the large limb near the ground where Swift buried one of his caches however! The "large limb" is SEVERAL times bigger around than the tree's trunk and is the only tree I have ever seen like this (and, again, I have hunted KY for over 30 years now - game hunting that is - not Swift hunting, as it really didn't take too many years to find Swift's mines for me).

I will tell you one thing - the lat. and long. given are VERY MISLEADING! I will explain this in my book with my theory and Ralph's as well, as they both equal the same conclusion, but arrive at the end result in a different manner. THIS (with the wrong lat. and long.) was done either by Swift or someone who copied the original journal (or could have even been a mistake, which is less likely of a conclusion when I explain it however).

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One note about Silver and Cumberland Gap - be careful what you read/believe. :stop: It is a known fact that the falls was "salted" to milk investors! :tongue3:

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Albert,

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate them and hope we get to meet and you come along with me on some of my unsolved quests (most of all my quest for the Great Cave).

There certainly are a lot of Silver mines from the Breaks through Cumberland Gap. There are SEVERAL - Spanish, Indian, French, English, etc. mines in this area! Don't feel badly, as you are not the only one who has confused some of these other mines for Swift's - Henson did it quite a bit (again, great man from what I heard - God rest his soul).

The key to finding the NC cache will be finding Munday's house (or the general area). Both crew members hid their caches in the "vicinity" of Munday's before the duel. However, one survived, so I assume he recovered his cache. However, there are still six figures of crowns there (or have been found)! This is a great argument why the US Govt. shouldn't try to steal people's finds - it simply causes these finds to go unreported and people to look for something that isn't there (wasting time and money). To date, all I have heard about the NC cache is that only a "few crowns" turned up in the Yadkin many years ago - there is no way now to verify this however. Good luck on this quest, as six figures in crowns would be a great find for anyone!

I have tons of old maps. However, none really showing the Yadkin Valley in detail. I use to win these on eBay - dating back to the mid 1800's. They are really great, as they show things not on newer maps - Indian Graveyards, etc. I had to bid high to win some of my maps and was even outbid on others (more than likely by other Swift Buffs). However, eBay is a great place to find these older maps and copies of older maps.

Keep in touch!

Scott Elkins
Swiftsearcher

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread