Here,s something I found in the Peg??

wilfndgold

Aug 29, 2013
perris, ca
Detector(s) used
garret
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It,s super clear has a yellowish hue. Could it be anything besides Quartz? :hello: DSCF0098.JPG DSCF0099.JPG DSCF0100.JPG

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its either a Quartz flake or a chunk of Calcite Crystal (looks more like Calcite):

Iceland-spar-Parent-Gery.jpg calcite1.jpg

I see you're in Peris, CA. If you ever get out to Anza-Borrego Desert, if you head up Hills of the Moon Wash in The Borrego Badlands, you will finds thousands of crystals that look a lot like that:

P1010328.JPG

See all the little white specks in the pic? Those are clear Calcite Crystals like yours.

What do you mean by "found in the peg?"

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazy_Desert

Greenie
Sep 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chunk of Quartz or Calcite I found about 15 miles east from The Hills of the moon at the end of a wash that runs into the Salton sea when there are Huge Rain storms.

Gollum could you Please help me identify the type of rock this is ?

Attachments

• 7424ED8E-7EF9-4DA0-BF50-74BB6311A78A.jpeg
    7424ED8E-7EF9-4DA0-BF50-74BB6311A78A.jpeg
    627.5 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably more than you want to know but...

Pegmatite
An exceptionally coarse-grained igneous rock, with interlocking crystals, usually found as irregular dikes, lenses, or veins, esp. at the margins of batholiths. Most grains are 1 cm or more in diameter. Although pegmatites having gross compositions similar to other rock types are known, their composition is generally that of granite; the composition may be simple or complex and may include rare minerals rich in such elements as lithium, boron, fluorine, niobium, tantalum, uranium, and rare earths. Pegmatites represent the last and most hydrous portion of a magma to crystallize and hence contain high concentrations of minerals present only in trace amounts in granitic rocks. Adj: pegmatitic.

Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably more than you want to know but...

Pegmatite
An exceptionally coarse-grained igneous rock, with interlocking crystals, usually found as irregular dikes, lenses, or veins, esp. at the margins of batholiths. Most grains are 1 cm or more in diameter. Although pegmatites having gross compositions similar to other rock types are known, their composition is generally that of granite; the composition may be simple or complex and may include rare minerals rich in such elements as lithium, boron, fluorine, niobium, tantalum, uranium, and rare earths. Pegmatites represent the last and most hydrous portion of a magma to crystallize and hence contain high concentrations of minerals present only in trace amounts in granitic rocks. Adj: pegmatitic.
Well.I did ask!:laughing7: Thanks.And now I know much more than I did.:notworthy:

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread