Herman Wolfs Trading Post Gold Arirzona

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Herman Wolf, got in the habit of burying his profits in cans and jars around the fences on his property. Operating the trading post for thirty years on the Little Colorado River between 1869-1899, his highly profitable business brought him tens of thousands of gold and silver coins over the years. These treasure troves are said to have numbered in the hundreds of thousands and his thirty year accumulation estimated at $250,000.

Of the beaver trappers who left evidence behind them, and who came to the canyon at this point, the best known were William (Billy) Mitchell, Fred Smith, W. C. Siewert and Herman Wolf. Their starting point for each trapping expedition was either Santa Fe or Taos, during the middle 1830's. All of them were experienced mountain men.

It was in Canyon Diablo that the pack train traders, the forerunners of permanently established trading posts, found them.

First among these traders in the area were Smith, Mitchell, "Whitehead" Fitzpatrick, "Gabe" Hall and "Old Man Yellow Face" Buck. They traveled together for mutual protection. Smith wrote home to his sister in Tennessee in 1850 from Taos that he had been engaged in this precarious trade for several years after beaver trapping went under.

On the sides of Canyon Diablo they held trading rendezvous not unlike those of the old fur brigades in the Rocky Mountains but, of course, on a far smaller scale.

Their trade goods consisted of galena, bullet molds, powder, dye stuff (Indigo and Cochineal), buffalo robes, cotton blankets, flints, Green River knives, cloth, cheap glass beads and imitation silver jewelry. In trade they received horses and mules, if not too far distant to drive back into New Mexico, and a plain striped handcrafted woolen blanket approximately 36 by 80 inches in size. This item sold readily as a "wagon blanket".

Other pack train traders followed them. One of the most unusual was called "Billikona Sani" (Old American) by the Navajos, and of all things, he arrived during the summer of 1852 off the California-Santa Fe Trail with a two-wheeled cart driven by a Mexican.

The outbreak of the Civil War put an end to further official exploration of this area, halting settlement for some years. Soon after the war ended Herman Wolf returned to the canyon and the Little Colorado to trap beaver. His first cabin camp was called Beaver House (Chi bogan) by the Navajos. They so gave it this name because his beaver plews were leaned against the walls of his abode to dry. Later on the name was applied to the trading post.

Wolf may have built his large stockade picket post prior to 1868. But he was definitely in the trading business on the river downstream from the mouth of Canyon Diablo that year.

For several years his outpost was the sole center of attraction in the little known frontier of northern Arizona. But there soon followed others who entered the wonderful country to stay. Meanwhile he and the U. S. Army were both engaged in fighting renegade Indians.

Canyon Diablo is south of I-40 between Meteor City, and Flagstaff, Arizona. Take the Two Guns Exit (#230). The road to Canyon Diablo is immediately right of the old gas station in Two Guns.

This is a rough road and best traveled with a four wheel drive; however, if conditions are good, and you take your time, it could be taken in a regular car. The road is very rocky, so caution should be taken with any low seated vehicle.

http://www.arizfoto.com/herman_wolf.html
http://www.arizfoto.com/diablo.html
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/canyondiablo.html

Attachments

• CanyonDiabloTradingPost-1903-loc-280.jpg
    CanyonDiabloTradingPost-1903-loc-280.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,731
  • CanyonDiabloBridge-280.jpg
    CanyonDiabloBridge-280.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,715
  • wolf.jpg
    wolf.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 825
  • canyondiablo.jpg
    canyondiablo.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,947
  • canyondiablo2.jpg
    canyondiablo2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,882
  • canyondiabloa.jpg
    canyondiabloa.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,565

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gypsy.. Looks like some interesting places to visit.. The Wolfs trading post, buried gold, the Volz trading post annual tournament, and the town Canyon Diablo itself, even though it didn't last long. Am I reading this wrong, but the only grave stone left at Canyon Diablo is Henry Wolfs? Why was he buried there, at a town that only lasted a year next to the railroad bridge, and not near his Trading post? His death might not have been as peaceful as they think. He was over at the city partying, got into some shit, and probably got shot..

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Hey! Dowser:
I see that you are in Arizona.
Are you near Phoenix?
I have a site that I am going to be looking for
That is some odd miles, NE of "Carefree"
Care to dowse the location* for me?
There's some gold involved, a rich mine,
Part of which, if your dowsing is "on"
CAN BE YOURS!

* Which can be accessed by a 2wd truck
Or!
You'll can ride w/me'n Bugs!

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil.. Sure, I'll go. I have a 4wd, or I can ride with you either way. Carefree's a little over an hour from me. pm me.

massey631

Apr 25, 2022
Herman Wolf, got in the habit of burying his profits in cans and jars around the fences on his property. Operating the trading post for thirty years on the Little Colorado River between 1869-1899, his highly profitable business brought him tens of thousands of gold and silver coins over the years. These treasure troves are said to have numbered in the hundreds of thousands and his thirty year accumulation estimated at $250,000.

Of the beaver trappers who left evidence behind them, and who came to the canyon at this point, the best known were William (Billy) Mitchell, Fred Smith, W. C. Siewert and Herman Wolf. Their starting point for each trapping expedition was either Santa Fe or Taos, during the middle 1830's. All of them were experienced mountain men.

It was in Canyon Diablo that the pack train traders, the forerunners of permanently established trading posts, found them.

First among these traders in the area were Smith, Mitchell, "Whitehead" Fitzpatrick, "Gabe" Hall and "Old Man Yellow Face" Buck. They traveled together for mutual protection. Smith wrote home to his sister in Tennessee in 1850 from Taos that he had been engaged in this precarious trade for several years after beaver trapping went under.

On the sides of Canyon Diablo they held trading rendezvous not unlike those of the old fur brigades in the Rocky Mountains but, of course, on a far smaller scale.

Their trade goods consisted of galena, bullet molds, powder, dye stuff (Indigo and Cochineal), buffalo robes, cotton blankets, flints, Green River knives, cloth, cheap glass beads and imitation silver jewelry. In trade they received horses and mules, if not too far distant to drive back into New Mexico, and a plain striped handcrafted woolen blanket approximately 36 by 80 inches in size. This item sold readily as a "wagon blanket".

Other pack train traders followed them. One of the most unusual was called "Billikona Sani" (Old American) by the Navajos, and of all things, he arrived during the summer of 1852 off the California-Santa Fe Trail with a two-wheeled cart driven by a Mexican.

The outbreak of the Civil War put an end to further official exploration of this area, halting settlement for some years. Soon after the war ended Herman Wolf returned to the canyon and the Little Colorado to trap beaver. His first cabin camp was called Beaver House (Chi bogan) by the Navajos. They so gave it this name because his beaver plews were leaned against the walls of his abode to dry. Later on the name was applied to the trading post.

Wolf may have built his large stockade picket post prior to 1868. But he was definitely in the trading business on the river downstream from the mouth of Canyon Diablo that year.

For several years his outpost was the sole center of attraction in the little known frontier of northern Arizona. But there soon followed others who entered the wonderful country to stay. Meanwhile he and the U. S. Army were both engaged in fighting renegade Indians.

Canyon Diablo is south of I-40 between Meteor City, and Flagstaff, Arizona. Take the Two Guns Exit (#230). The road to Canyon Diablo is immediately right of the old gas station in Two Guns.

This is a rough road and best traveled with a four wheel drive; however, if conditions are good, and you take your time, it could be taken in a regular car. The road is very rocky, so caution should be taken with any low seated vehicle.

You know I'm trying for the life of me to figure out how Herman Wolfe did something on the Little Colorado River and the story is saying that it's close to Canyon Diablo when the river is closer to the town of Leupp than anything. Soo what am I missunderstanding here folks. Where was Herman Wolfe's tradeing post then? Your saying it's along the Little Colorado River. Soo where is Herman Wolfe's tradeing post located???

randalcarr

Aug 7, 2022
Arizona
Detector(s) used
None.
You know I'm trying for the life of me to figure out how Herman Wolfe did something on the Little Colorado River and the story is saying that it's close to Canyon Diablo when the river is closer to the town of Leupp than anything. Soo what am I missunderstanding here folks. Where was Herman Wolfe's tradeing post then? Your saying it's along the Little Colorado River. Soo where is Herman Wolfe's tradeing post located???
Ruins of Wolf Post (Navajo: Chaa`Ni` Bighan) 35°23'37.65"N / 111° 6'28.40"W

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Ruins of Wolf Post (Navajo: Chaa`Ni` Bighan) 35°23'37.65"N / 111° 6'28.40"W
Quick note: Wolf's trading post was approximately 12 miles north of Canyon Diablo. When he died he was brought to Canyon Diablo to be buried. He was the only non criminal or deceased lawman to be buried there. A relative had the memorial built for his grave. He was sending money to his relatives. I doubt very much money was buried or left behind after his death.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other

Quick note: Wolf's trading post was approximately 12 miles north of Canyon Diablo. When he died he was brought to Canyon Diablo to be buried. He was the only non criminal or deceased lawman to be buried there. A relative had the memorial built for his grave. He was sending money to his relatives. I doubt very much money was buried or left behind after his death.
More information about Fred Volz who actually bought and owned the trading post. I believe he was the one that had Wolf's body to Canyon Diablo for burial. Also the Aztec land companies website has abit of information to be added also. Aztec was the Aztec cattle company using the brands from the Texas company known as the Hashknife.

Anyways here's the link for Fred Volz.

Fred Volz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread