Things I found in the proximity of Hewitt Canyon
19990121_459998101023613_16284704971783258_n.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics. Frank (SDCFIA) and Woody had some claims out near Hewitt Canyon. Robert Garman found a chunk of native silver ore there. There is a Pima Legend about a huge ledge of silver in an arroyo near the base of Iron Mountain. James Whetlach had a secret silver mine in Hewitt Canyon that no one has ever found.

Its a very good area to hunt in.

Mike

OP
OP
John_Arizona

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pics. Frank (SDCFIA) and Woody had some claims out near Hewitt Canyon. Robert Garman found a chunk of native silver ore there. There is a Pima Legend about a huge ledge of silver in an arroyo near the base of Iron Mountain. James Whetlach had a secret silver mine in Hewitt Canyon that no one has ever found.

Its a very good area to hunt in.

Mike

I have several claims in hewitt as well, I have seen frank and woody out there, hewitt is my favorite place..

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, and when Garman first met Travis and Robert Tumlinson, it was in Hewitt Canyon.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank and I detected the site of Hermann Petrasch's old shack in Hewitt Canyon. He was supposed to have hidden a mason jar of coins nobody has found yet (we found exactly jack squat).

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Frank and I detected the site of Hermann Petrasch's old shack in Hewitt Canyon. He was supposed to have hidden a mason jar of coins nobody has found yet (we found exactly jack squat).

hermans shack has been gone over pretty good in the past with detectors,,,,,herman also had a box with stuff that came from the dutchman hidden around there too...he also had waltz's pinfire revolver.....the pistol has passed through a couple hands and i think the last guy that owned it lost it in a burglary...did you find the cactus's with letters carved in it?

OP
OP
John_Arizona

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hermans shack has been gone over pretty good in the past with detectors,,,,,herman also had a box with stuff that came from the dutchman hidden around there too...he also had waltz's pinfire revolver.....the pistol has passed through a couple hands and i think the last guy that owned it lost it in a burglary...did you find the cactus's with letters carved in it?

I found 3 saguaro with hearts carved into the top of them

OP
OP
John_Arizona

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
although, I have too have been up and down Hewitt canyon multiple times, all I found were these interesting carvings, the only gold I found was from our placer claim. I just like getting out there with my friends drywashing or running the recirculating sluice and have a few brewski's when it's not too hot and get away from the everyday rat race of phoenix.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
although, I have too have been up and down Hewitt canyon multiple times, all I found were these interesting carvings, the only gold I found was from our placer claim. I just like getting out there with my friends drywashing or running the recirculating sluice and have a few brewski's when it's not too hot and get away from the everyday rat race of phoenix.

frank had some decent gold on his lower claim

OP
OP
John_Arizona

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not in Hewitt, This is Way Further East
cross_heart.JPG

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pics. Frank (SDCFIA) and Woody had some claims out near Hewitt Canyon.

I think you may mean SGTFDA? Steve (SDCFIA) hasn't posted in a while- he is probably traveling again.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Sealed Mines in First Photo.

View attachment 1472910

Photo is Blurred As I Was Walking Across an Embankment, Kinda Looks Like a LDM Description, Logs Covering a Hole with Dirt and Rocks, Not Saying It's It, Just Looks Strange at the Cave... It's Probably Nothing, Just Thought I'd Share It. (not in Hewitt)
View attachment 1472911

john...the forest service and the blm went in that area a few years ago and sealed up all the tunnels

OP
OP
John_Arizona

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well it's a good thing I took these photos in 2010

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Well it's a good thing I took these photos in 2010

john...thats about the time they were doing it...we saw them doing a couple off happy camp road....the pukes are sealing all the old tunnels they can find...i got a letter from the blm about 5 years ago telling me that if i had any tunnels or shafts on my claim i either had to let them seal them or post a bond and then it would be my responsibility to seal them or they take my bond

OP
OP
John_Arizona

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
oh, I forgot Dave... this forum is only about myths and legends and not proven facts... its a site where people poo poo everything. Thanks for reminding me

rolandslone

Nov 7, 2014
Halifax, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal. Now I have looked high and low on this web site. Been awhile since I've been here. Can't remember how or where to post a question or thread. Thanks for any help.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you may mean SGTFDA? Steve (SDCFIA) hasn't posted in a while- he is probably traveling again.

Yes. Thanks for that. I dont get the two people mixed up, but the two avatars I sometimes interchange.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread