Hey Coinshooter got a question for you??

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It looks to me like melted aluminum from a fire ring... sometimes they look like nuggets. Is it light in weight like aluminum, or very heavy? Platinum is heavy like gold. Aluminum nuggets usually give me a good signal like a dime, and I find a lot of them on beaches. Another test you can do is see if it is magnetic. If it isn't, it won't be a meteorite. Iron/nickel meteorites are magnetic, and stony meteorites are non-metallic and weather away pretty fast.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
It is lightweight. It registered in the penny dime area. It is not magnetic so I guess it is just a piece of melted aluminum. Thanks for the info. HH

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt around old fire rings you will find these by the tens to fifty's.
I had ten pounds of these and tried to take them to the recycler.
They wouldn't take them!! Very much pissed me off as I had spent alot of time collecting them for recycling. I ended up leaving them there anyway. Wish I hadn't.
My meteorite is heavy for it's size. Like gold. I have been collecting rocks and minerals for years and years and was a geology major in school, so I have alot of experience id'ing this type of thing. 8)

Upvote 0

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
coinshooter said:
They wouldn't take them!! Very much pissed me off as I had spent alot of time collecting them for recycling. I ended up leaving them there anyway.
?

Boy did they ever see you coming. I'll bet they sold them to their scrap dealer anyway.
I took 10 5 gal buckets of alum nuggets to a scrap dealer once and he too said he wouldn't buy them.
He gave me some onion sacks and told me if I pour them into the sacks he would get rid of them for me.
The next time I went there to sell some brass his employee told me? he gets 3 cents a pound for them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread