Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey my my daughter-in-law bought me this book does anybody know what these two metals are it’s not saying what they are in the introduction and I wanna buy them. She’s the best ♥️

Attachments

• B2E4255E-FA41-4403-9DB5-D9E87B1A19BB.jpeg
    B2E4255E-FA41-4403-9DB5-D9E87B1A19BB.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 169
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Inside the book you'll find a page ith the dedication to the cover designer with the description of the items on the front cover..
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼Thanks I’ll look again👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Upvote 1

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021

EagleHeadTurn.gif

Myth and Misinformation about the Obverse Side of the Great Seal​

The American Bald Eagle has always faced the olive branch in its right talon. It was the eagle on the Seal of the President who used to look the other way.

The eagle was not first a phoenix. Both an eagle and a phoenix appear together in the design suggested by the third Great Seal committee. And the phoenix was an appropriate, positive symbol "emblematical of the expiring Liberty of Britain, revived by her Descendants, in America."

Congress approved Charles Thomson's eagle design the same day he submitted it – June 20, 1782. There was no "great debate amongst the Founding Fathers" about which bird would be the national one – as suggested by The History Channel program "Secrets of the Dollar Bill."
More than a year after the Great Seal was adopted, Benjamin Franklin mused privately in a letter to his daughter about the wild turkey as a good symbol for "the temper and conduct of America."
The eagle's tail feathers do not symbolize the Supreme Court, which did not exist when the Great Seal was adopted in 1782. The number of feathers in the tail and wings are not specified in the official 1782 description of the Great Seal. Neither are the number of olives or leaves. These details are determined by artists or engravers and originally had no intended symbolic significance.

GloryStPauls.jpg
The number thirteen is not "hidden" in the design of the Great Seal. It is specified several times: 13 stripes, 13 arrows, 13 stars.

The shape of each star is not described. There was no intended symbolic significance to whether a star has five points or six. This detail is also for artists and engravers to decide.

It is alleged that George Washington requested the constellation of 13 stars to be shaped into a hexagram (two intersecting triangles that form a six-pointed star), because that's also the shape of the Star of David – supposedly as a way of thanking the Jewish patriot Haym Salomon for his service to the country, particularly his financial help during the Revolution. But this story is only a legend with no evidence to support it.

Upvote 2

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
The presidential seal in the early days would have been installed on one of these to make an impression in important documents.

Every Notary had one with their own impressions installed.

Screenshot from 2022-04-03 21-26-40.png

Upvote 2

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The defects, stains, gouges, etc. ... identify the photo of this piece to be that of the original die made for the Great Seal of the United States.

Great Seal.jpg

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The defects, stains, gouges, etc. ... identify the photo of this piece to be that of the original die made for the Great Seal of the United States.

View attachment 2019543
That is incredible I think y’all so much for so much knowledge that I soak up from your knowledge again thank you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Myth and Misinformation about the Obverse Side of the Great Seal​

The American Bald Eagle has always faced the olive branch in its right talon. It was the eagle on the Seal of the President who used to look the other way.

The eagle was not first a phoenix. Both an eagle and a phoenix appear together in the design suggested by the third Great Seal committee. And the phoenix was an appropriate, positive symbol "emblematical of the expiring Liberty of Britain, revived by her Descendants, in America."

The eagle's tail feathers do not symbolize the Supreme Court, which did not exist when the Great Seal was adopted in 1782. The number of feathers in the tail and wings are not specified in the official 1782 description of the Great Seal. Neither are the number of olives or leaves. These details are determined by artists or engravers and originally had no intended symbolic significance.

GloryStPauls.jpg
The number thirteen is not "hidden" in the design of the Great Seal. It is specified several times: 13 stripes, 13 arrows, 13 stars.

The shape of each star is not described. There was no intended symbolic significance to whether a star has five points or six. This detail is also for artists and engravers to decide.
Thank you so much for leaving me with this I appreciate everything you’ve done thank you

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread