Hey there. Old guy from Western NC ,near Asheville.

Batea

Greenie
Jan 31, 2023
Weaverville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I like metal detecting, gold panning and collecting old steel gold pans. I have an old cabin on Wilson Creek near Grandfather Mountain Ranger district. I am retired and like the history of old ghost towns in the area. I joined TNet after searching for info on the book Silver in the Unaka. I retired from the telephone company and enjoy roaming in the woods. I bought some light gold panning equipment and a Garret metal detector. I pretend to ginseng hunt in September. I end up looking for copperheads and yellow jackets more than seng. I also like old wooden telephones and old prints of ginseng plants from the early 1800's. I collect old wall hanger guitars. Note: Batea is a Spanish word for gold pan.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You live in a nice area down there. I spent a couple summers in sprucepine/penland areas.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

river roamer

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2022
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II Excalibur 1000 Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to the site. Good luck with your hunting

OP
OP
Batea

Batea

Greenie
Jan 31, 2023
Weaverville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I appreciate the welcome. I am a little nervous about posting with you experienced hunters. I will say that Willson Creek was declared wild and scenic and no gold panning or metal detecting allowed. This is a bad deal for me.

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Welcome from Union County NC, yes there are some ghost towns around and near Fontana lake.

OP
OP
Batea

Batea

Greenie
Jan 31, 2023
Weaverville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Yes you’re right, Proctor is what I was thinking. I think I remember the others in western NC are Mortimer and Lost Cove
Mortimer and Edgemont is where my cabin is located on FS Rd 464 heading towards Lost Cove. I find old RR spikes, ax heads and bottles in my yard. The cabin is better than what Dan Boone squatted, but it an,t no chalet.

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. My son and I will be in Rocky Mount next month for digstock. Looks like beautiful country.

OP
OP
Batea

Batea

Greenie
Jan 31, 2023
Weaverville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Welcome to Tnet. My son and I will be in Rocky Mount next month for digstock. Looks like beautiful country.
Thanks, You will be in the flat country. Lots of history there. I'll have to check out what digstock is. What type of event is it? It is nice that your son is going with you on an adventure. I have three grown boys with families that I enjoy doing stuff with. Have fun and be safe.

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Yes I seen that about Digstock. Would be awesome. I think my wife would kill me if it’s during our trip to New Orleans

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

OP
OP
Batea

Batea

Greenie
Jan 31, 2023
Weaverville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Yes I seen that about Digstock. Would be awesome. I think my wife would kill me if it’s during our trip to New Orleans
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:
Thanks, I am trying to get the hang of this thread business. I tried to explain it to my wife. It's like being on her Face Book, but I an't acquired many friends yet. These people are somewhat interesting and I am kinda not. I looked forward to learning from great minds and experiences in the collecting world.

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like metal detecting, gold panning and collecting old steel gold pans. I have an old cabin on Wilson Creek near Grandfather Mountain Ranger district. I am retired and like the history of old ghost towns in the area. I joined TNet after searching for info on the book Silver in the Unaka. I retired from the telephone company and enjoy roaming in the woods. I bought some light gold panning equipment and a Garret metal detector. I pretend to ginseng hunt in September. I end up looking for copperheads and yellow jackets more than seng. I also like old wooden telephones and old prints of ginseng plants from the early 1800's. I collect old wall hanger guitars. Note: Batea is a Spanish word for gold pan.
I live in Weaverville also..ever want to get together and hunt let me know.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batea Welcome to a VERY FINE FORUM !! If you want I can bring down some of my detectors and you can try them out with ME :) !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread