Hi everyone i need help with a coin my dad gave me

OP
OP
F

Foxfire1575

Jul 28, 2022
20220728_093933.jpg

20220728_093923.jpg

I may never see my dad again so before he left he gave me this coin and I was wanting to know if anyone knew anything about it

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 1

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a restrike of an 1861 confederate penny, made using transfer dies done after 1961. Hard to tell what metal it's made in but they were made in various different metals.

It's a great memento from your dad, cherish it.

EDIT: It's also possible that it's a cast of a restrike, and not a restrike at all, but it's difficult to tell from the photos although the condition of the coin does suggest it's a cast.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
F

Foxfire1575

Jul 28, 2022
It's a restrike of an 1861 confederate penny, made using transfer dies done after 1961. Hard to tell what metal it's made in but they were made in various different metals.

It's a great memento from your dad, cherish it.

EDIT: It's also possible that it's a cast of a restrike, and not a restrike at all, but it's difficult to tell from the photos although the condition of the coin does suggest it's a cast.
How can I find out?

Upvote 0

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Casts are easily identifiable in person if you know what to look for. There are some suggestions in your photos that it's cast but describing them to you won't necessarily help if you're unfamiliar with coins in general, especially given the coin's rough condition. Take it to a local coin dealer or collector and they'll be able to advise you.

Even if it's a 'genuine' post-1961 restrike it has very little value due to condition, and much less value if it's a cast. A cast would actually be considered a copy of a copy since even the restrike isn't an original although it's stuck from a set of transfer dies.

There was an earlier restrike of this coin done in 1874 by a coin dealer in Philadelphia that's considerably more valuable than the 1961 restrikes. Those 1874 restrikes were not produced using the canceled dies of the later (1961) versions. Yours was made either from transfer dies of the original canceled dies in 1961, or is a cast copy of a canceled-die coin.

This site has a history of the original coin and the later restrikes (scroll down to the last coin):

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread