Highway Right of Ways ?

Brucer417

Feb 12, 2023
Marshfield Mo
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440 - Bounty Hunter Prospector DX
Does anyone detect along the Highway/Interstate Right of Ways - some in the rural areas are pretty big especially if it's a divided highway. Many where I'm at are wooded and and some are pretty steep as well. I wouldn't be parking on the shoulder of the highway and would be pretty much concealed most of the time. I know it's state property but it's not a park or historic site and is maintained by the Highway Dept. Just curious...

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Does anyone detect along the Highway/Interstate Right of Ways - some in the rural areas are pretty big especially if it's a divided highway. Many where I'm at are wooded and and some are pretty steep as well. I wouldn't be parking on the shoulder of the highway and would be pretty much concealed most of the time. I know it's state property but it's not a park or historic site and is maintained by the Highway Dept. Just curious...
You might check with the DOT for your state. I would think it would be ok. As long as you don’t interfere with traffic.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt rest areas along the freeways ,So I think it would be the same and I have never been hassled. Have had some gold and silver jewelry finds plus a lot of clad.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I found this on-line. Interesting if true. I guess if you find pre-1923 items you put them back and ignore them (?) That would be rather difficult for many folks to do.

Attachments

• F3453ABF-6583-40C1-9BBB-6BAA95704B77.jpeg
    F3453ABF-6583-40C1-9BBB-6BAA95704B77.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 26

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the areas are wooded and not full of modern litter and wheel weights /bolts / crash debris , I'd be glad to hunt them & yes find a good legal place to park .

This is my opinion & what I would do .

Good Day

OP
OP
Brucer417

Brucer417

Feb 12, 2023
Marshfield Mo
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440 - Bounty Hunter Prospector DX
I found this on-line. Interesting if true. I guess if you find pre-1923 items you put them back and ignore them (?) That would be rather difficult for many folks to do.
Wow ! I've never seen that ! It doesn't say what you're supposed to do if you find something more than 100 years old - and I'd be willing to bet that very few people follow that proclamation. I have talked to the Chief of Police where I live and told him that if I came across something with historical value that I would happily turn it over to the county museum here. There was a large tornado that went straight through this town in April of 1880 so I know there's still stuff in the ground all around here. https://www.ozarksalive.com/stories/see-the-marshfield-cyclone

Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Wow ! I've never seen that ! It doesn't say what you're supposed to do if you find something more than 100 years old - and I'd be willing to bet that very few people follow that proclamation. I have talked to the Chief of Police where I live and told him that if I came across something with historical value that I would happily turn it over to the county museum here. There was a large tornado that went straight through this town in April of 1880 so I know there's still stuff in the ground all around here. https://www.ozarksalive.com/stories/see-the-marshfield-cyclone
Yeah, a jar of Indian head pennies, leave it in the hole. I’d have nightmares for months!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread