Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to wear my waders for the hike in as well. That is until I snagged one and didn't know. Nothing worse than hopping into 36 degree creek water and finding out one wader is filling up. Makes for a miserable day of mining.

That has happened to me so many times, it is the pits but the worst is crossing a river and you make that one step that is deeper than the length of your hip waders, feeling that cold water work its way down the boot to your toes but on those hot summer days its not so bad, maybe a little squishy. I will add the worst to wear are chest waders, if you ever fart in them you will now what I mean, LOL

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Adidas Hiking Shoes from Khols. I often go on long hikes, and "boots" are way too heavy/ clunky..preventing the agility needed to not fall off of a cliff, slippery bedrock, etc. They're only 60 bucks at khols...I picked up 3 pairs lol. They're not water proof...but can't have it all :dontknow:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has happened to me so many times, it is the pits but the worst is crossing a river and you make that one step that is deeper than the length of your hip waders, feeling that cold water work its way down the boot to your toes but on those hot summer days its not so bad, maybe a little squishy. I will add the worst to wear are chest waders, if you ever fart in them you will now what I mean, LOL

My creek rarely warms up for to not be uncomfortable cold. I was working a hole shoulder deep when I stepped just a little too far into the hole. Yup, I got that cold flood down my leg. I did invest in chest waders after that. Worst part of chest waders is when you get that "urgent" calling and gotta drop them fast.

FrostyMiner

Greenie
Jan 3, 2020
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro | Ground EFX MX100E | Minelab Pro-Find 15
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Columbia hiking boots. They are waterproof but I’m in the desert so they don’t get wet too often. :laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use Columbia hiking boots. They are waterproof but I’m in the desert so they don’t get wet too often. :laughing7:

I love my Columbia boots although I will say I go through the sole tread in just a couple years. I don’t wear them into the river.

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this helps, but when I hunt, I wear Schnee's. I hunt (like animals, not gold) all over Alaska from the tundra to the mountains and they're fantastic. Waterproof and strong. I don't wear them while mining because I'm a super snob when it comes to my hunting gear. lol. They're fairly expensive though.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a White's guy. Been wearing Whites for ever and current boot is 10-11yrs old now and will go a couple more yrs before a re-build (Whites seem to be good for 1 rebuild from my experience with a rebuild almost like new). Spendy but built and if you spend any time on your feet out in the brush might as well have a good SUPPORTED boot...imo. I wouldn't recommend them for in the creek (Vibram sole slippery) except for the first couple days breaking them in, they fit them tight. jmo

https://whitesboots.com/firefighter/the-original-smokejumper/

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really like my scarpa zodiac plus gtx, but they might give you sweaty feet in the desert

BMOLLMAN

Greenie
Oct 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just another thing to consider. I'm liking my knee high waterproof socks. Waterproof as high as regular rubber boots, but with the ankle support and traction of your hiking boot. Good padding as well.

OP
OP
T

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just another thing to consider. I'm liking my knee high waterproof socks. Waterproof as high as regular rubber boots, but with the ankle support and traction of your hiking boot. Good padding as well.

I never knew these existed, thanks for mentioning them. So what boots do you wear over them?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Sadly for me , my hiking days are over !! If I can't drive my 4x4 ATV to the spot , I just don't go! NEWS UPDATE: I don't go out anymore than I have to !:BangHead: And I miss the heck out of it!!

Bu7615

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2021
Kasilof AK
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi guys. I'm looking for hiking boots I can use year round in Southern California hiking a few miles AND that can handle being in the river. I want something I can take home, dry out and reuse without getting destroyed too quickly. Flip flips and water shoes aren't great for the hike in and I'd rather not change shoes. Any suggestions?

I have had great experiences with Solomon Speed Assult boots I have worn them for years. They are not water proof but are light, dry quick aggressive sole, light ankle protection. Downsides the traction is awful on ice, and your feet will get cold if you wear them in snow as they will get wet and some people dont like that they dont have laces but they use a draw cord so easy to adjust as your feet change after a long day. will admit I may be a little biased and mostly wear salomon but for a 3 season boot I would check them out. Merrell would be a close second I have also had positive experiences with them I think there moab is their below the ankle but they have similar that offer some ankle support. Good luck finding a good pair, nothing will make or break your day like a bad or worn out pair of boots.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly for me , my hiking days are over !! If I can't drive my 4x4 ATV to the spot , I just don't go! NEWS UPDATE: I don't go out anymore than I have to !:BangHead: And I miss the heck out of it!!

If you were out here you could follow me around on your ATV and sit under the canopy drinking cold beer while I keep you supplied with paydirt to feed the drywasher.

You are welcome anytime when you are ready for a road trip! :occasion14:

canopy.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

DrJay73

Greenie
Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danner makes a great boot! But expensive leather boots in water? Not a good idea. That tears them up.

Sarahlowe

Greenie
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a pair of LaCrosse 4xAlpha waterproof for hiking from amazon. Here are some of its reviews from (https://shoesmentor.com/types-of-shoes/boots/best-snake-boots/). They are comfortable enough and the best snake boots among some other cheap brands. Plus they're great for stickers and cactus spines. I used to do archaeological surveying and knee-high wraparound snake guards which make my hiking so much easier.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread