Hiking in southern Italy - found this horseshoe

Annavirginia

Mar 21, 2022
Hey everybody!!
I just got back from a trip to Italy, where I did a lot of hiking around Puglia and Campania. We were hiking in a spot that has some ruins from the 11th century (really cool spot - called Gallipoli)... anyway, I found this horseshoe and, given how thick the metal is and the style of the holes, I'm wondering how old it is!?

Funny story: on my way back from Italy, we had a layover in Switzerland. They almost confiscated it at the airport, but I gave them my best, "but it's good luck!!" and they let me keep it 🤣😅😅

Anyway, any reactions/suggestions/comments on this would be appreciated! (Pics attached, plus one with my hand for scale).

Thanks!
IMG_8127.jpg

66958045832__752AD22E-3AED-4A25-8647-FFC1DD3ED98C.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

Upvote 5

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody!!
I just got back from a trip to Italy, where I did a lot of hiking around Puglia and Campania. We were hiking in a spot that has some ruins from the 11th century (really cool spot - called Gallipoli)... anyway, I found this horseshoe and, given how thick the metal is and the style of the holes, I'm wondering how old it is!?

Funny story: on my way back from Italy, we had a layover in Switzerland. They almost confiscated it at the airport, but I gave them my best, "but it's good luck!!" and they let me keep it 🤣😅😅

Anyway, any reactions/suggestions/comments on this would be appreciated! (Pics attached, plus one with my hand for scale).

Thanks! View attachment 2016909
View attachment 2016910
View attachment 2016911
View attachment 2016909
Oldie!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread