Historic El Camino Real detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
the el camino real was said to have evolved into the modern Hwy. 101. That's only true to a degree. Ie.: give or take several miles, in various locations. It's not the exact path of current Hwy. 101. Just approximate :)

And the places you'd want to find and hit, are the stop spots. Not just "random along the route".

Get a book called "Historic spots in California". There's some stuff about adobe sites down in that area of CA. But as for getting someone here to delve out a spot where they know old coins are still possible, is probably not gonna happen. Old coins are not a renewing resource. Therefore, the hard-core guys, who have found an adobe site, stage stop, etc.... that is producing, will tend to keep mum, and work it with their buddies.

Kind of like surfers who don't tell others about a good coastal surf break spot. 'cuz the moment other surfers arrive to crowd it out, it's no longer fun. Or a trout fisherman who discovers a hole on the creek or river, that has trophy size trout, etc...

But there's "Spanish" (mission era) stuff down in that part of CA to be found. We've gotten some reales, buttons, etc.... down that direction.

OP
OP
S

suberdave

May 22, 2012
Eagle Rock CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I know nobody is going to give me exact locations. Thanks for your advice on the book, I amazoned it after I read your post. I was looking for that kind of info. I've been researching, so the book will help in the research.
I appreciate your vocalness on many posts. Don't even get me started on dowsing. JK. Thanks Tom.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And if you really want to get hardcore into the "Historic Spots in California" book : Get the older editions (1930s to 1950s, before revisions/updates), if you can find them on ebay @ used books.

Because as time went on for the revisions, they often made subtle updates, that could affect your ability to hone down location spots.

Here's an example: The mid 1930s first edition of the book, said this about an adobe site:

"The adobe stood besides a barn on such & such road...."

However, that barn burned down in the late 1930s. So when subsequent editions came out, it was changed to "nothing remains of the site" ... and simply "along such & such road ...."

We were able to get old topo maps from the teens that showed the location of that no-longer-existent "barn" (nothing but cow pasture land now). And by doing that, were able to find the adobe site location. As you can see, in a case like that ...... subtle changes in the wording could make a difference. To the casual reader, that wouldn't have made a difference. But to an md'r trying to get an "x-marks-the-spot" : Anything like that can help.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Santa Barbara ! And im not afraid to tell you some spots because ive already cleaned them out ! LOL. Really , i haven't found anything from the Mission era yet. We had a major earthquake in 1925 that leveled the city. Most of it was rebuilt.
We do have some parks from the lare 1800's. Alameda,Pershing and Oak Park are that old. I wouldn't go to the park across from the Old Mission tho. Its called the Mission Historical Park. I have been told i Cant dig by park rangers. I probe but thats frowned upon also.
Since youll be here on the weekend. A lot of the schools were built after the earthquake in the 30's.
LaCumbra Jr.High is one of my favorite hunting spots. Built in 1929. Found my first (and only so far) V nickel there. And no rangers!
Then theres a couple miles of beach to hunt. Near the pier and at Milpas st are the hot spots. Thats where all the motels are.
Good luck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread