Hit a hunted yard and got Silver#50fty!! The owner just about took it. Story below the pics.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped at an older rock home with a good sized back yard and front. When I first approached the guy he said, “ Oh My Brother already hunted it”, and as I always do, “ Well do You mind if I give it a shot anyway?” He said, “Sure, why not”. Off I went!!!!
Only found a Canadian Cent and one Wheat Cent in the front. A lot of swinging for that😳.
I moved onto the back and about 30 minutes into the back yard , I got a nice 89 on the Deus2. I was thinking Dime. About 4” down the first thing I pulled out was a large rusted nail.
The next scoop about 7” I saw what I was least expecting, a 1942 Walker! Checked the hole again and got another large rusty nail. Checked the hole again and there was still something in it. Turned out to be an old lead printing plate about 11” down. That’s a lot of stuff masking the Half!! Great signal. Glad I dig all the good signals!!! Also got an old buckle , maybe a sash buckle🤷🏼‍♂️.
Walker-1942
Wheat-1913
Canadian Cent-1982
Silver#50fty!!!!
08B8A285-CC57-4252-A529-6B07A64C132B.jpeg
4CDAEBF3-7299-4D4D-8585-5A6ECD08AB2E.jpeg
6DDB2A9F-C999-482D-96CE-3FC897813F55.jpeg
C95E84E1-EA0C-4BB3-B672-89B7AF1617D6.jpeg

Ok so I go inside after the guy invited Me in, and specifically made sure to say” ok so I can keep all the coins I found right?”
He said “ oh yeah for sure”. So I laid everything out on his little table. He liked the old printing plate so
I just handed it to him to keep. After he saw the clad, Wheat and Canadian Penny then I got the Walking Liberty out, and as soon as I sat it down, he grabbed it up, pulled his wallet out and threw a $5 bill back on the table. I’m like” Hey, No that’s not gonna work!” He said” I’ll give You $20”!
I was like “no that’s not the agreement that We made before I even got it out”
After talking through it and trying over and over finally he said” ok, I wouldn’t have even known it was there and You did ask before You laid it out” He handed it back after he took pictures of it. I thanked him, and eventually left. He was a nice guy, just at that moment 😳
I stress this because I’ve found that most people once they see an old Silver coin, their minds change pretty quick, so take this with caution. Sometimes you can tell they’re like that and it’s best not to even show them the Silver after You get the permission to keep the coins. But sometimes not!! I’ve actually lost a few keepers due to this.
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!!!!
11E378CE-4AC7-4E1B-B8A6-FF0503B8354D.jpeg
B8DABFE9-A480-4882-9BEA-AFDD27038ECD.jpeg
28FD0217-97FC-4921-9FA7-A133DC2A4217.jpeg

Ladies Victorian Era Sash Buckle. I straightened it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 31

demano

Dec 5, 2020
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Garret carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped at an older rock home with a good sized back yard and front. When I first approached the guy he said, “ Oh My Brother already hunted it”, and as I always do, “ Well do You mind if I give it a shot anyway?” He said, “Sure, why not”. Off I went!!!!
Only found a Canadian Cent and one Wheat Cent in the front. A lot of swinging for that😳.
I moved onto the back and about 30 minutes into the back yard , I got a nice 89 on the Deus2. I was thinking Dime. About 4” down the first thing I pulled out was a large rusted nail.
The next scoop about 7” I saw what I was least expecting, a 1942 Walker! Checked the hole again and got another large rusty nail. Checked the hole again and there was still something in it. Turned out to be an old lead printing plate about 11” down. That’s a lot of stuff masking the Half!! Great signal. Glad I dig all the good signals!!! Also got an old buckle , maybe a sash buckle🤷🏼‍♂️. Silver#50fty!!!! View attachment 2055057 View attachment 2055058 View attachment 2055059 View attachment 2055060
Ok so I go inside after the guy invited Me in, and specifically made sure to say” ok so I can keep all the coins I found right?”
He said “ oh yeah for sure”. So I laid everything out on his little table. He liked the old printing plat so
I just handed it to him to keep. After he saw the clad, Wheat and Canadian Penny then I got the Walking Liberty out, and as soon as I sat it down, he grabbed it up, pulled his wallet out and threw a $5 bill back on the table. I’m like” Hey, No that’s not gonna work!” He said” I’ll give You $20”!
After talking through it and trying over and over finally he said” ok, I wouldn’t have even known it was there and You did ask before You laid it out” He handed it back after he took pictures of it. I thanked him, and eventually left. He was a nice guy, just at that moment 😳
I stress this because I’ve found that most people once they see an old Silver coin, their minds change pretty quick, so take this with caution. Sometimes you can tell they’re like that and it’s best not to even show them the Silver after You get the permission to keep the coins. I’ve actually lost a few keepers due to this.
Awesome coin, I am still on the hunt to find my first.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next scoop about 7” I saw what I was least expecting, a 1942 Walker! Checked the hole again and got another large rusty nail. Checked the hole again and there was still something in it. Turned out to be an old lead printing plate about 11” down. That’s a lot of stuff masking the Half!! Great signal. Glad I dig all the good signals!!! Also got an old buckle , maybe a sash buckle🤷🏼‍♂️. Silver#50fty!!!! View attachment 2055057 View attachment 2055058 View attachment 2055059 View attachment 2055060
He said “ oh yeah for sure”. So I laid everything out on his little table. He liked the old printing plate so
I stress this because I’ve found that most people once they see an old Silver coin, their minds change pretty quick, so take this with caution. Sometimes you can tell they’re like that and it’s best not to even show them the Silver after You get the permission to keep the coins. But sometimes not!! I’ve actually lost a few keepers due to this.
Great post and thanks for sharing.
Congratulations on your nice recoveries

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next scoop about 7” I saw what I was least expecting, a 1942 Walker! Checked the hole again and got another large rusty nail. Checked the hole again and there was still something in it. Turned out to be an old lead printing plate about 11” down. That’s a lot of stuff masking the Half!! Great signal. Glad I dig all the good signals!!! Also got an old buckle , maybe a sash buckle🤷🏼‍♂️.
Wheat-1913
Canadian Cent-1982
Silver#50fty!!!! View attachment 2055057 View attachment 2055058 View attachment 2055059 View attachment 2055060
Great story with a great ending, pulled me right in....good thing you had permission to keep the coins!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver, a real nice keeper.

Honesty is the best policy they say, and you did good.
Monetary gain is one thing if there was a pre-agreement.
In your case the permission was getting a tad greedy.

I was approached to detect a school house, and the church across the road in a hamlet near me.
The author/historian owns both-never been detected as they've owned for 50+ yrs.
Here is what she said:

"I'd be really interested in you detecting our properties-one small condition-I get to keep everything.
I'll follow you around to watch the recoveries"
My reply:
Oh thank You
But I'm really busy right now-maybe sometime in the future.

What I was really thinking:
You daft .....
Do really think I want to spend my hard earned time working for you.
In your dreams
I still have 8000+ acres of open invitation-where they don't care what I find.
So when I'm done those acres I'll detect yours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread