Hmmmmmmm.... Solid Silver or Platinum Rock ?

pretious

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So i noticed this rock because of all the silver speckles, definitely metal in nature inside.
I tried smashing it but my mini sledge only knocks some of the rock off exposing more metal inside, looks like silver to me, the metal specks i got off the rock arent magnetic. Its late so i dont want to smash and grind at this rock so i dont bother my neighbours, but will tomorrow. Is it possible its solid silver or platinum inside of a rock?
Bear with the photos, they suck, my camera sucks, but if you look within an inch of the black mark of my hammer you can see the more exposed metal.

IMG_20190722_195819.jpg
IMG_20190722_195812.jpg

OP
OP
P

pretious

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Well its not solid silver with rock formed around like hoped, however this is just a few smashes with the sledge and seperating the metal from rock ( pictures suck and im sorry just want some insight) . The rock WONT BREAK , im sure i could get it too but the mini sledge and a lot of hits doesnt do anything but break off some of the metal . Its definitely a metal (not quartz) and its not magnetic , is it possible its silver/white gold/platinum ? Does this happen in rocks like this ? how can i pursue testing? i could probably get a ounce or two itleast off this rock of the precious metal. Anyone have any insight ?
IMG_20190723_110809.jpg
IMG_20190723_132837.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pretious

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
The pictures suck to much, definitely not, its a metal but i can see why you can see that. i need a new phone/camera, lol. ive finally got pieces of the rock off and so much of this precious metal inside, none of it magnetic.

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a a sharp knife press hard and see if you can put a dent in one of the larger pieces, if it breaks into pieces it's not a metal its formica or pyrite most likely, metals will smash, flatten, dent etc....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pretious

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Here , i seperated the metal silver stuff from the bits of rock in it that was distorting the picture, so you guys can see its metal (likely silver i think ?) is this possible ? Non magnetic, smushes flat doesnt crumble away, this rock is basically half rock and half whatever that metal is ?
IMG_20190723_173932.jpg

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it flattens and you can see the dent the knife made then it is metal, I tried zooming in but the picture was too blurry still, try and take a close pic in good lighting and get it as clear as possible so I or someone else will be able to help you better.
Steve.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pretious

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Okay cool, definitely a metal then cause every big piece i take a knife to just indent in and smush, not break. heres a picture of a few pieces of it on white paper, still not the best. But if it is a metal, and not magnetic, only silver and platinum fit that bill since its not yellow gold?
IMG_20190723_191117.jpg

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still to blury to help you anymore, just take it in somewhere and have someone take a look at it if that's a heavy dense metal and doesn't float all around a gold pan but drags as you move it around then the only way to know what metal is by having it tested. Does it set off a metal detector?

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking natural river tumbled quartz mica schist is what he has there, but ya never know pretious, being a dreamer isn't a bad thing, dreamers are the ones who get rich and change the world, as long as they are realistic and you never give up on them.:thumbsup:
I'm a dreamer, I said to myself I'll find a spot with good fire agate, did a little research, followed my gut and wa la I found an awesome spot, next winter its var precious opal I will be finding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pretious

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Appreciate all the input guys ! im starting to think your all right, i took all the "silver" bits i had and put them in water and i can see through the bits, looks alot different than when dried, so i believe its not a metal now. Will send in a piece of the rock to get tested though in case. And yes Steve, us dreamers sure change the world, we just need the right oppurunities :)

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meminer says use vinegar, put the rock in a bowl of vinegar and it will eat the rock away and leave the metal...

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet let us know what you find out after.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a tip. On a small piece, if it's mica, a pin should crush it to dust. One other item that does occur in your neck of the woods is loellingite. Silver in color, reasonably heavy and found with quartz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pretious

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Here's a tip. On a small piece, if it's mica, a pin should crush it to dust. One other item that does occur in your neck of the woods is loellingite. Silver in color, reasonably heavy and found with quartz.

I went back to the spot i found the original rock today, found a much larger speicimen , the metallic wont crush but flakes away nd then starts to crumble away from the bigger flakes. When its on a rock, it looks metallic, once you take a flake off the rock and put it to the sun or light, you can see through it like a whitey crystal. Must be Mica or Loellingite :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread