Hobart Bros Emblem from Ohio

OhioMetalMaven

Nov 6, 2021
Western Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace Apex & Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took advantage of the nice day in Ohio and did some detecting on my homestead. I found this emblem/badge that’s marked Hobart Bros.
Hobart is a local company to my area. They’re known for welders and much more. They even made KitchenAid mixers in the 40’s (those are made in a town 20 minutes in the other direction now).
My grandpa retired from Hobart Bros in the 80’s. My dad also worked there until he became a truck driver.
I’m going to contact some local historians and see what they think it might be exactly. I’m thinking some sort of badge or an emblem from equipment.
Made my day!
Happy hunting!

612FADD4-881C-4606-92E7-8166B500B61F.jpeg

83F062B7-80D8-4B35-A252-D21446175F7E.jpeg

Upvote 19

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took advantage of the nice day in Ohio and did some detecting on my homestead. I found this emblem/badge that’s marked Hobart Bros.
Hobart is a local company to my area. They’re known for welders and much more. They even made KitchenAid mixers in the 40’s (those are made in a town 20 minutes in the other direction now).
My grandpa retired from Hobart Bros in the 80’s. My dad also worked there until he became a truck driver.
I’m going to contact some local historians and see what they think it might be exactly. I’m thinking some sort of badge or an emblem from equipment.
Made my day!
Happy hunting!

View attachment 2015408
View attachment 2015409
Very Cool!!! Is it Silver? Congrats!!!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Made my day!
Happy hunting!

View attachment 2015408
View attachment 2015409
Great find. If id found that here id have been thinking our poor neighbours south in Tassie 😆
Good find!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beautiful find OMM, what makes it even sweeter is your families connection to the company. :thumbsup: If you wanted to post some pics of it cleaned up, we might be able to tell what it was originally attached to and when it dates from. It appears to be nickel-plate over stamped brass, so I'm thinking it dates from the 1920s - 30s.
Dave

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
cool local history find
the wings and star, remind me of airline flight
maybe it is and award for the generator they built design,for the airline per the about us pg

in the mid-1940s, Hobart Brothers launched what is now known as Hobart Ground Power after being approached by American Airlines to design a generator specifically to start large aircraft engines.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Made my day!
Happy hunting!

View attachment 2015408
View attachment 2015409
Over the years I've owned several Hobart portable welders, what the machines lacked in looks were made up for in endurance.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool local history find
maybe it is and award for the generator they built design,for the airline per the about us pg

in the mid-1940s, Hobart Brothers launched what is now known as Hobart Ground Power after being approached by American Airlines to design a generator specifically to start large aircraft engines.
This is very interesting, I've worked for a number of generator manufacturers in the US over the past 25 years and I never knew this fact. Thanks for sharing cw. :thumbsup:

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cool find! I grew up in the town that Hobart is in. Pretty neat to point out the old Hobart stand mixers when I see them on TV.

Cool Hobart fact, they made Steel houses back post WWII. Made the whole thing in the factory and shipped them on site. As you might expect they had some exterior rust problems as the years went on but still pretty neat.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a pretty fancy emblem for a welder or other industrial equipment. I'm also having trouble seeing attachment points on the back. Seems like there should be some beefy spots on the back to attach it to heavy equipment.

Are those crossed swords on each side of the star?

Very patriotic themed...

What size is it?

BTW -- I have a Hobart C-100 mixer (likely a 1960's model) in my kitchen. It has worked like a champ for decades. I use it almost every week to make bread for the neighbors or the fire station or church. My dad bought it for $5 back in the 80's. I just had to put a new plug on it and buy a dough hook.

bread.jpg

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made my day!
Happy hunting!

View attachment 2015408
View attachment 2015409
Is that from a car ?

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
cool local history find

I purchased this Hobart Brothers generator that I had discovered sitting in the boneyard at a small sawmill.

Paid $50.00 and they loaded it for me, the 3 phase generator was reconfigured to single phase.

I kept the brass tag then gave the generator to one of the natives to run a small water pump to fill the stock tanks for the Elk he raises.

h1.png

hobart.jpg

h2.png

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

OP
OP
OhioMetalMaven

OhioMetalMaven

Nov 6, 2021
Western Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a cool find! I grew up in the town that Hobart is in. Pretty neat to point out the old Hobart stand mixers when I see them on TV.

Cool Hobart fact, they made Steel houses back post WWII. Made the whole thing in the factory and shipped them on site. As you might expect they had some exterior rust problems as the years went on but still pretty neat.
I live 10 minutes from Troy. There are still a few Hobart welded homes standing downtown. The welding school is still there too. I love the history behind the company.

OP
OP
OhioMetalMaven

OhioMetalMaven

Nov 6, 2021
Western Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Made my day!
Happy hunting!

View attachment 2015408
View attachment 2015409

Cleaned. I can’t see pin attachments points. It’s a heavier metal.
EE2441CF-0860-4394-936D-2D7E5BF02EF4.jpeg

CD927BE1-2087-427E-ACE1-5FFA21217429.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread