Hog hunting anyone?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good possibility. Although I have never seen one, I read recently that there are coyotes here in every Florida county.
I live on a barrier island on Florida's East Coast. They live here and they love cats for dinner. I've seen them cross the road at night & early mornings. Only way here for them is to cross a long bridge or swim. They're breeding as people have seen pups.

Last edited:

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hogs are bad here and the deer don’t like to be around them. I heard a local biologist say that you would have to kill 3/4 of the population to break even. They can reproduce at 6months old and have two litters of a dozen or so a year. That adds up real quick. At least they taste good!
Ohio was worried about the rodent population some years back. They brought in coyote to lower the rodent population. Now, we have a bounty on coyote.

We had a rat problem along the Scioto River through downtown Columbus. They brought in Peregrine falcons (which eat mostly birds). The rats are still around, but the mourning dove population is greatly diminished. Too bad they don't go after the English Starlings.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in a neighborhood of 50-70 year old working-class homes on 1-2 acre lots. The marsh/water front houses 1/4 mile away are much newer. That said, lots of mature oaks ( I have 6 oaks, estimated ages range from 120 to 250 years old ), tulip trees, and magnolias, and some pines, make for good habitat for raptors, ( eagles, hawks, owls, kites ) and the birds they prey on, and the under story of azaleas ( some as big as a house ) dogwoods, brambles and grapes, hedges, etc. makes for terrific living and feeding areas for birds and everything else. I have seen in my yard deer, coyotes, foxes, armadillos, possum, raccoons, tortoises, snakes, lizards, lots of squirrels. Two of my neighbors, who walk their dogs late evening, have seen our resident panther ( cougar ) multiple times, usually crossing a road.

No hogs yet, but large populations are only a few miles away.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everywhere we explore from The Fl Glades to deep in the Smoky Mts in NC they have everything torn up. This one was on Merritt Island near the Space Center. I pack and carry bear spray, gaiters at all times. I’m sure the gators enjoy them, saw a video of a python taking one down in the Glades. Pythons keep migrating north we’re going to be in big trouble, one was caught on Merritt Island not too long ago
B647E343-87B3-49A1-8562-3603B3AA5C44.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
Everywhere we explore from The Fl Glades to deep in the Smoky Mts in NC they have everything torn up. This one was on Merritt Island near the Space Center. I pack and carry bear spray, gaiters at all times. I’m sure the gators enjoy them, saw a video of a python taking one down in the Glades. Pythons keep migrating north we’re going to be in big trouble, one was caught on Merritt Island not too long ago View attachment 2074989
If I had to pick one of those three evils I'd have to go with hogs. Gators and pythons in abundance would freak me out

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Wild boar is tasty when ‘cued correctly. I haven’t cooked any python or gator. I have eaten gator and it was “ok”. I’ll take the other white meat.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wild boar is tasty when ‘cued correctly. I haven’t cooked any python or gator. I have eaten gator and it was “ok”. I’ll take the other white meat.
I love the taste of wild pork, sows or young boars are best. I let mine soak for several days on ice and keep the blood drained off. It’s best to cut the boars as soon as you can, but they can still smell bad when you’re cooking it. Boar meat will stink the whole house up if he's too big.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a game me and my cousin would play on my great uncle's farm, long ago. His pig pen had a big pile of lumber in the center. You'd jump in the pen and grab a baby pig and it be squealing a way and the mama sow would charge in for the rescue. You'd be running around that pile of lumber in a circle clockwise opposite of her around and around. Then she'd switch and go counter clockwise and do that awhile. Finally she'd just charge though that pile up lumber hurling 2x4s up and out of her way with her snout and as she bust through that's when you drop the little squealer and high tail it for the fence. It was a complete rush, playing that game as a dumb and stupid 13 year.
That is a hold my beer story. LOL

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those rascals moved from SE OK to SWOK in about 20 years. My son and them used to take their AK's out on the South Canadian River bottoms in Blaine County and shoot em till they got tired of it. It probably wouldn't surprise me to see one strolling down main street here one day, in spite of the climate and elevation, haha!

NevadaDave

Jun 19, 2012
Henderson, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III, IV, V, AT-4, Scorpion, ACE 250 and AT-Pro. Tesoro Bandito II U-max, Lobo ST, and Cortes. Fisher 1266, F2, F75, and Gold Bug Pro. Whites Coinmaster, GMT, MXT and Prizm 4. (and a f
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can craterize a plowed or fallow field. They'll dig down a couple of feet chasing tubers and roots, any and all creatures. They eat ground nesting birds and animals, will kill and eat fawns. Would kill and eat us, given half a chance. Someday, there will be vast herds of these, roaming the continent. Shoot them all.
“Someday, there will be vast herds of these, roaming the continent.”
According to what I’ve read, they already are roaming (most) of the continent. Not a problem in Nevada, yet. Not sure how they would tolerate Summers.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
“Someday, there will be vast herds of these, roaming the continent.”
According to what I’ve read, they already are roaming (most) of the continent. Not a problem in Nevada, yet. Not sure how they would tolerate Summers.
I was thinking like the bison, before the Europeans came. There are already 7 1/2 million of them running free in the U.S. Nevada is probably safe, except for bottom lands and valleys with water. They need some water. Your neighbor states have them. And they do well in summer. We have summer here ( understatement ).

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I was told by a DNR officer, circa 2006, that wild hogs were released in our area of Iowa. He said they came out of Oklahoma. They knew the building they were raised in. He said the only thing they didn’t know, was who transported them across state lines: that was the crime. The hogs must have gotten killed off. I haven’t heard a word since 2007.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told by a DNR officer, circa 2006, that wild hogs were released in our area of Iowa. He said they came out of Oklahoma. They knew the building they were raised in. He said the only thing they didn’t know, was who transported them across state lines: that was the crime. The hogs must have gotten killed off. I haven’t heard a word since 2007.
According to Wildlifeboss.com Iowa has appx. 52,000 happy wild pigs, Oklahoma 750,000. I think the pigs walked to Iowa. Lotsa pig food there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread