Greenie
Jan 5, 2014
Wister, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm researching the tale of the bushel of silver supposedly buried in Leflore county, OK off Holson (Holsom?) vallet road. If anyone has any information or links I'd appreciate it. I live in Wister OK and would like to look into this one.

Also interested in anything else related to Leflore county, Cavanal hill and the Kiamichi river area. I'm trying to learn to prospect this year and want to explore these areas.

Thank you,
Lenny

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ever go online and try O who's, excuse me, I mean OU's library and special collections? Or try the SW Collection at Texas Tech. Hope this helps...

OP
OP
L

Lennyzx11

Greenie
Jan 5, 2014
Wister, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever go online and try O who's, excuse me, I mean OU's library and special collections? Or try the SW Collection at Texas Tech. Hope this helps...[/QUOTE

Thank you. No I wasn't aware of those resources. I'll try to find my way into them.
Lenny

Bobby3234

Nov 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also live by the lake in wister. Got a few neat spots to check out I am also curious in holson valley though I read somewhere a long time ago about a bunch of markings and what not and a supposed map.

Taliman

Mar 17, 2014
SE Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm just across the mountain from Holson Valley and have done a little prospecting in the area. Plan to do much more when I can. I can't say I have ever heard of a silver coin cache in the area but I was told by my now passed-on ex father-in-law about a relative in the area that had access to a gold bar cache that was thought to be Spanish or Mexican in origin. It was supposedly hidden not more than 30 minutes walking distance from the old man's home. Some of the relatives went to see him to borrow money for a trip somewhere that had to do with either a funeral or medical problem and he gave them one small gold bar/ingot to make the trip. Other than that, when I was growing up in the area there were reports of "turtle" and "crows-feet" markings on old trees throughout the Kiamichi mountains and valley area. The trees are probably long gone by now. Also a relative told me about a cave in the area he stumbled on to during a deer hunt and he said there were muskets and armor in it. He couldn't find it again on a return trip. I didn't think much about this tale until I ran into a fellow a few years ago that relayed a similar story to me about a cave in the same area having the same contents and that person from another community could not find it on a return trip either. What is interesting is that I had never told or mentioned this cave and contents to the person and their story was an almost carbon copy of what my relative had told me when I was a kid. So many tales, so little time.....

flex

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
For what it's worth, there were French stories of a silver mine about 60 miles up the Kiamichi. The French referred to the Kiamichi as “La Riviere la Mine.” The story was reported by John Sibley, who was the Indian agent in Natchitoches, Louisiana in the early 1800's. (John Sibley to Henry Dearborn, April 10, 1805, in Annals of Congress, 9th Congress, Second Session (Washington, Library of Congress),1100-1101.)

I've seen no further information, but would be interested if anyone in SE Oklahoma has heard anything about this mine.

Taliman

Mar 17, 2014
SE Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen no further information, but would be interested if anyone in SE Oklahoma has heard anything about this mine.

I had heard of silver mines in the area ever since I was a kid.. and that was a long way back. Also stories of a lead mine in the area. Had a fellow some years ago said he came across silver looking deposits on rocks in a creek over in the Kiamichi mountains and he could "cut" it with his pocket knife, which meant it was probably lead. Also some locals have said there was/is a lead deposit in the Kiamichi river itself upstream from Tuskahoma, but not sure how far upstream it would be.. for some reason I want to place it up stream of the old iron bridge that used to connect Honobia with the Kiamichi Valley area. The silver mine stories seemed to place them off the Kiamichi River... on the Kiamichi mountains. One mine story, either silver or lead, I can't remember, was located on the north side of the Winding Stair mountain range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread