HOLY MOLEY!!! Super Rare 1600's Native American Pewter Pipe!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can not believe I actually found one of these! Crummy signal, end of the day, and when I first saw it in the plug dirt I had that moment where I was like like: 'oh nice clay pipe bowl, now where's what the detector actually picked up?' But when I had it in my hand, I knew immediately what I had found and that it was uber rare! :hello2:

Pewter Pipe 1.jpg

Credit where credit is due, I only knew what this was and the significance of it due to Silver Tree Chaser's post a few years back:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/540047-rare-find-17th-century-pewter-pipe-native-american-handmade.html

For those of you who weren't on the forum at the time, I would highly recommend reading through the above post because the history is fascinating. In a nutshell though these pewter pipes were fashioned by Native Americans as opposed to European-made imports. Some have effigy designs like animals, but it seems that many are plain like the one I found and made to resemble the European clay pipes. The academic reference book on these pipes ("Neat and Artificial Pipes:" Base Metal Trade Pipes of the Northeastern Indians) places their most common usage between 1645 and 1680 and with very few exceptions are found exclusively at Native American sites. They are also very rare with the above publication giving a museum census of only 43 examples and perhaps 150 known in total!

It's in decent shape considering the ground around here is punishing on pewter. I quickly conserved it when I got home and prevented further crumbling:

DSC09776.JPG DSC09777.JPG

I marked where I found it so when I return I'll bring a bucket and a sifter to see if I can recover more of the pipe stem, but I wasn't getting any more signals out of the ground so it may not be there which wouldn't surprise me.

I found this pipe at a new spot I've been investigating lately, although it clearly predates the European settlement by close to 100 years. It's along a good sized river with an extensive set of falls. In the 1760's an iron forge was established here and I located where the seasonal workers made their camp while the forge was operating. It's just a flat area of woods now, but before this piece I'd been pulling up exclusively 18th century finds which made sense due to the fact that the forge closed down in the 1790's.

DSC09778.JPG DSC09785.JPG

You can see so far I've found a handful of mid-1700's buttons, a knee buckle, partial barrel spigot, and part of a molasses skimmer. I've also found close to 60 pounds of iron. That cardboard tray is less than half and it's mostly huge fragments of pig iron from the smelting furnaces. There are also dozens of iron cooking pot fragments and I know there's more to this site than what I've found so far. Only two copper coins as of yet:

DSC09779.JPG DSC09780.JPG

Not too bad 1746 King George II halfpenny, and a regal issue unlike the King George III:

DSC09781.JPG DSC09784.JPG

Dated 1775, but definitely a later counterfeit. It's in fantastic shape besides the metal bubbling which I suspect is due to a poor purity copper that the counterfeiters used. All-in-all a solid 18th century site, but the pewter pipe just knocks it out of the park!

The area is known to have had extensive Native American settlement and activity prior to the European land patents. The falls would have been a major landmark to the local tribes and I'm sure there was activity around them. This pipe may be the only metal artifact, but there could be hundreds more stone or earthenware pieces scattered about the woods that I'm walking over. It was just blind luck that I found this in a patch that also had 18th century activity and I can't even begin to fathom the odds of running across it where I did. Hopefully there's more that I stumble on, but even if not I'm thrilled to have found even this one little piece!:hello2:

Upvote 49

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!!! What a rush that must be! Good luck on your next hunt there!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Not "Holy Moley", but rather Holy SMOKES!! You are on a roll Paleo. Great find to say the least. Love that counterfeit as well.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool!! I would think smoking in a pewter bowl would be fairly toxic!!

According to that book, there are pipe examples that are pure lead. My question would be how does one light and smoke the tobacco without melting the pipe metal? :dontknow:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not "Holy Moley", but rather Holy SMOKES!! You are on a roll Paleo. Great find to say the least. Love that counterfeit as well.

:laughing7: I seriously considered that for the title, but it just seemed too corny. Great minds think alike though!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to that book, there are pipe examples that are pure lead. My question would be how does one light and smoke the tobacco without melting the pipe metal? :dontknow:

Perhaps this would be a ahhhhhh "pinch hitter"... heh

What one makes when in a pinch and no pipe is available...

Some guy was like..."damn i really want to smoke this bowl but have nothing... hmmm lets melt and carve some shot !"

:P

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment.php
...i got one of those counterfeits - has zinc in it -- reacts like the zincolns and bubbled up

Attachments

• untFFitled.jpg
    untFFitled.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 501
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for my ignorance but how did the Native Americans come by the pewter?

It's a good question; without a doubt the pewter was of European origin. William Bradford, governor of the Plymouth Colony, noted in the 1640's that the natives had molds to manufacture all different types of musket shot. Based on this one would have to assume that the natives were regularly trading with the colonists for base metal for use in casting. Obtaining pewter would be as simple as trading for broken spoons or old buttons and recasting them into the pipes. However this might explain why the pipes are so rare compared to stone or clay tobacco pipes as it would take significant effort to first obtain the pewter through trade, manufacture the molds, and then craft the pipe.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find with the pewter pipe, the detail on those early George coppers is amazing. :occasion14:

Congrats,
Dave

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
big time gratz on such a rare find, great save

Top Member Reactions