Holy moly Know one is going to believe this!

TommyTee

Jun 9, 2021
Los Angeles CA
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi I'm Thomas Walker and I'm me new to this site. Really enjoy reading about everyone's finds and so on. I'm a coin collector here in Los Angeles CA. Anyways this morning i got up and do my normal routine , u know go get coffee and a donut.
So on my journey to the store , I was walking down
The sidewalk and so went to light cig and when I pulled my lighter out it fell onto the ground. Learned over to pick it up and see this round disc near the wall of the store. Im thinking its the wax seal that u see on wine and high liquor. Which I do collect as
Well. So I looked at it real quick and shoved it in my pocket. Went got what I needed and went home. Well around noon I decided to go jump in the shower. ( I work from home fyi ). When I took off
My sweatpants this coin fell out of my pants . When it hit the ground rolled into the pipe . I notice it made a very distinctive sound. Thought to my self
That's not wax. I picked it up and went to my office.
Got my micro out and proceeded to look it over .All I see is a cross and a not so round of something it's almost black in color then when I flip it over I noticed what seemed to me to be something very familiar. So I looked at it and got up and walked over to my salt water aquarium and I've looked at some of the coil in there then I looked at the coin again and looked at the coil again and on coil was the same thing that was on the back of this coin ! So I sat down and just stared at it. So I was well it's been the ocean for a good bit of time. Pulled my. Tools out and went to work on it. Went and got hot water and some dawn soup and put the coin it the bowl. I sat there for a good hour or so keeping a close eye on the coin making sure nothing would happen. To it. I would pick it up out of the water re heat it and while it was heating back up I would sloftly tab a towel on it . For loose pieces . About the 6th heating. I put the towel on it , a nice size piece came off . I looked and drop the coin on the
Floor ( which is the first time I've done that ). In no rush to pick it up I sat in my chair astonished about
What I just seen . , I was like no way . It's got to be fake. So I picked it up and put on the micro and there it was . A gold shield of something. So I tried magnetic 🧲 test. Nope not magnetic. Tried the tip of my finger test. And I tapped on it softly. And listened and I was like there's that sound again. So I did the old fashion bite down and to my belief it was also soft. So I got the vinegar out and dropped a few drops and stared to see if it would change color.
And it never did. So at that point I was convinced it
Was indeed GOLD. . With a smile I sat down and was wondering why it was where it was . So I started researching the coins details out on the old google thing. hour later I'm pretty sure I found the coins and it's past .. So I found was a 1520's something treasure coin from a wrecked ship. One that I was very familiar with as a kid listen to my dad tell the story about this guy that retired and decided to become a treasure hunter. So anyways the coin came from a ship or ships since there were 8 of them that sunk.early September 1526 30 miles to 70 miles away from Key west FL. During a hurricane.
40 tons of Gold and Silver coins and bars scattered implicated the ocean floor. Along with artifacts from Peru South Africa Columbia Mexico with 256 people aboard this one particular ship. The ships name was
" Nuestra se?ora de Atocha. " ( Meaning the holy shrine ). You really have to look it up. The story is great. Plus the story of the the man that found the ships in 1969. And the journey he went threw. Wow . And the journey this coin had been threw. Just to ended up here laying on my desk. Amazing. This is a true story with all the proof to back it. I'm just glad I could share it with u guys. Been hoping to get a really nice coin someday. But was not expecting this.. the know people are asking me , am I going to sell it. Answer is everything is for sale. We all know that's . I will listen to offers. But not saying I will take it but will think about it.. well today Weds. Going to a very know coin shop here in Beverly hills.
To let a friend of mine look at the coin . Do thanks IMG_20210608_192300.jpg IMG_20210608_192208.jpg IMG_20210608_191952.jpg photostudio_1623197991076.jpg CM210608-170948013.jpg IMG_20210608_192300.jpg IMG_20210608_192208.jpg IMG_20210608_191952.jpg photostudio_1623197991076.jpg CM210608-170948013.jpg IMG_20210608_192300.jpg IMG_20210608_192208.jpg IMG_20210608_191952.jpg photostudio_1623197991076.jpg CM210608-170948013.jpg for letting me tell my story. I will post updates. Ty

Upvote 11

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What an amazing find and welcome to TreasureNet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet, sorry what you have is a replicate coin, most likely made out of pot metal, you can tell by the raised lip edge around coin. A lot of them are found in Florida as they were given away with new metal detectors sold by kellyco.

Also only charter members can sell here.

Last edited:

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Texas :wave:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned it looks to be a fake from looking at the pics... sorry hope I am wrong though

Cheeserock

Jul 23, 2009
Central Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett AT-Pro Whites Classic SL-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment.php

Here is one I found years ago in Florida. Lead or zinc with a gold colored plating.
You can see where I scratched it when I dug it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
L.A. sidewalk , shipwreck coin.

Lighter dropped.
Coin dropped from sweats.
Coin dropped again around 6th heating while cleaning..

A theme of drops it seems.

You're a coin collector so if you clean a coin you know the risks you run.
Good luck at the Beverly Hills coin shop.
Post an update on if you're getting a (golden coin created) bus ticket to freedom , or staying in L.A.. And of course the shops appraisal of your shipwreck coin.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are usually bought from gift shops and are usually made of "white metal"

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say, i do like it when they put creative effort into their cover stories....

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold doesn't tarnish.
Don...

24K gold may not tarnish, but most pieces we come across with rings and jewelry (alloyed gold) can indeed tarnish. Seen it many times. In any case, it looks like the OP has a replica. I read a very long post that didn’t contain a test for gold. Oh, welcome to Tresurenet.

aj

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]''Holy moly Know one is going to believe this'' Yep you were right...[/h]

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my second wife in San Salvador, El Salvador. What a beauty! Perfect in every way. How was I to know she had actually been made in China?:dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A word to the wise, attacking a member can earn timeouts.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! There are genuine finds out there, keep looking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread