Home Built Equipment

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Testing a sheet of plastic which turns out to be hydropilic retaining a film of water, the precious metals were shed away with the water while the gangue clung to the sheet.

On the plywood with its rough surface you can see evidence of precious metals. picked up by the camera flash.

It appears you need a hydrophic material to capture the fine values.

The belt with proper incline and water flow will capture what the human eye is unable to see.

two.png

four.png

flash.png

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hydrophobic Polymers

Acrylics - Amides and Imides - Carbonates - Dienes - Esters - Ethers - Fluorocarbons - Olefins - Styrenes Vinyl Acetals - Vinyl and Vinylidene Chlorides - Vinyl Esters -Vinyl Ethers and Ketones - Vinylpyridine and Vinypyrrolidone Polymers.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Hydrophobic Polymers

Acrylics - Amides and Imides - Carbonates - Dienes - Esters - Ethers - Fluorocarbons - Olefins - Styrenes Vinyl Acetals - Vinyl and Vinylidene Chlorides - Vinyl Esters -Vinyl Ethers and Ketones - Vinylpyridine and Vinypyrrolidone Polymers.

Your over thinking this, any food grade endless belt offered on ebay will do the job.

On a side note, conveyors use end rollers with a high center which keeps the belt aligned.

I was figuring too use an old treadmill then customize the frame to fit the smooth belt.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your over thinking this, any food grade endless belt offered on ebay will do the job.

On a side note, conveyors use end rollers with a high center which keeps the belt aligned.

I was figuring too use an old treadmill then customize the frame to fit the smooth be lt.
The use of a old treadmill is an excellent idea. Garage and estate sales should be the place to start.

If this works even half way then that means a fair amount of material can be processed per day.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
The use of a old treadmill is an excellent idea. Garage and estate sales should be the place to start.

If this works even half way then that means a fair amount of material can be processed per day.
I suggest you process your black sand first using the device posted on #20
, then use the rod mill to turn the gold particle into fish scales which will stick to the belt.

If you live in an area where your able to smelt your black sand, this would be the most economical method.

I'm waiting on a 10 pound sample to arrive in the mail, this will be my first time smelt, and will keep all informed of my success's and failures.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Charged the ball mill with broken bottles to grind into silica powder as part of my flux recipe.

Baking soda to soda ash.

Can baking soda be used as soda ash? Baking soda can be converted to soda ash by temperatures above 50°C (122°F), whether by steaming, boiling, or baking. To convert a quantity of baking soda to soda ash in your oven, place it in a glass baking dish and heat it, uncovered, for an hour at 400°F (200°C).

This is not a flux recipe, just a list of chemicals used.
flux.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Poor design, this circuit board hangs inside the furnace without support, you can see where the printed circuit copper has broke free.

I could repair this board, but instead have ordered a new one and will keep this as a spare.

15KVA Induction furnace dual station. I've had this furnace for about six years, first problem I've had with it.

Its been a game changer.

ind2.png

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
This design is somewhat similar to the Electron Tube . In this design , getting the correct water flow / pressure for the specific screened material would be the answer to making this work correctly ! You could always rerun the waste material to check it out !

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suggest you process your black sand first using the device posted on #20
, then use the rod mill to turn the gold particle into fish scales which will stick to the belt.

If you live in an area where your able to smelt your black sand, this would be the most economical method.

I'm waiting on a 10 pound sample to arrive in the mail, this will be my first time smelt, and will keep all informed of my success's and failures.
I think you will find that pure white bull quartz will make a better flux as pointed out in the book I have called:
Manual of assaying fire assay of gold, silver, and lead, including amalgamation and chlorination tests. by Alfred Stanley Miller professor of Mining and Metallurgy, University of Idaho.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I think you will find that pure white bull quartz will make a better flux as pointed out in the book I have called:
Manual of assaying fire assay of gold, silver, and lead, including amalgamation and chlorination tests. by Alfred Stanley Miller professor of Mining and Metallurgy, University of Idaho.

Thanks for the heads up on the assay book, found a digital copy on archive.org.

Glass is manufactured from silica, CRT computer monitors contained lead glass, tons of discards were shipped to the lead smelter in Trail BC were they were added as flux to normal operations.

Screenshot from 2021-12-27 12-09-19.png

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the heads up on the assay book, found a digital copy on archive.org.

Glass is manufactured from silica, CRT computer monitors contained lead glass, tons of discards were shipped to the lead smelter in Trail BC were they were added as flux to normal operations.

View attachment 1998871
Yep that is the book as it was very popular around the turn of the Century and Idaho Un. used it a lot.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
It would be day wasted to drive into Brandon to purchase silica sand from the well driller, I'll use what is available locally. I gave some thought to colored glass then decided to use it as well.

I'm not doing an assay where chemically pure reagents would be required, if you look at slag from a smelt its black like obsidian which indicates to me even colored glass has room to take up more oxides during the smelt.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the rubber belt idea can pull out most of the 180 mesh minus values this could really speed up the recovery process.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would be day wasted to drive into Brandon to purchase silica sand from the well driller, I'll use what is available locally. I gave some thought to colored glass then decided to use it as well.

I'm not doing an assay where chemically pure reagents would be required, if you look at slag from a smelt its black like obsidian which indicates to me even colored glass has room to take up more oxides during the smelt.
Use what you have however if you happen to come across a lot of pure white bull quartz then you mite as well be mining it to. After all we are mining right.

By the way Oregon in it's older code talks specifically about "quartz milling" and a "quartz mill". There must be a very solid reason to mention "quartz". Maybe this was the first thing that a "certified geologist" will look for on any "mineral deposit" in question. The mineral that the geologist is looking for may not just be the minerals you are mining for only.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
If the rubber belt idea can pull out most of the 180 mesh minus values this could really speed up the recovery process.
As demonstrated on the plywood sheet your going to recover values beyond human eyesight.

The water from the squeegee should be run through a filter paper then both filter and fines melted in a small crucible.

I've done a bit of refining gold and silver and what I've found is that those particles much to small to see have an affinity for plastic. Glassware is much preferred.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As demonstrated on the plywood sheet your going to recover values beyond human eyesight.

The water from the squeegee should be run through a filter paper then both filter and fines melted in a small crucible.

I've done a bit of refining gold and silver and what I've found is that those particles much to small to see have an affinity for plastic. Glassware is much preferred.
Yep most plastics can be used as a type of capacitor film layer thus holds a charge quite well. This is can be bad or good depending on how it is used.

One may want to use a magnifying type of camera that is connected to a large monitor to really see in live time what may be taking place.

I have a camera like this that I got for a song at a second hand store. I will have to set it up for some real fun...........LOL.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The video camera says it will magnify to around 50 - 60 times with a large monitor. This could really see what may be happening. Plus not much light is needed as well.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Camera flash, Cook Creek Vancouver Island.

View attachment 1998881
If I come up with some plexiglass pluming fittings I should be able to see what is happening with the water flow with your washer tube that you showed. Thank you.

The camera may come in handy for a wave table or shaker table etc. I'm thinking of experimenting with a sound plate as well. O boy now I will not be bored..........LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions