Home Built Equipment

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
From a previous visit to Cook Creek was aware of the dissolved gold in the water #39, this year built a large activated carbon filter and purchased a one inch gas powered water pump to feed the filter.

When I arrived at my dream creek was greeted with a bed of rocks.

Geologists will follow a creek taking water sample from where the water seeps from its banks, one liter of water, one gram activated carbon is added. The sample is then shaken. The carbon then burnt with the ash then assayed.

Full article, download here.

cook.jpg

seepage.png

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From a previous visit to Cook Creek was aware of the dissolved gold in the water, this year built a large activated carbon filter and purchased a one inch gas powered water pump to feed the filter.

When I arrived at my dream creek was greeted with a bed of rocks.

Geologists will follow a creek taking water sample from where the water seeps from its banks, one liter of water, one gram activated carbon is added. The sample is then shaken. The carbon then burnt with the ash then assayed.

View attachment 1998888
View attachment 1998889
You will most likely need pure ingredients / chemicals to do this type of assay. However if you get enough of the carbon with trace minerals will then get better results from the assay to show you that there is a deposit near by. If the sample quickly cuts off then you will know about how deep it is. Just like normal prospecting.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Home made, heavy wall pipe with lift bar, using 3" diameter round steel shaft cut at 3" lengths after years of use the sharp edges have rounded off.

Why not just use the full length of the rods, cutting them into chunks just beat the machine to death.
I've used chunks of steel to gring ore but figured out quick, balls where much more efficient.
It would take forever to grind the sharp edges off just processing ore.
Gt...

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Why not just use the full length of the rods, cutting them into chunks just beat the machine to death.
I've used chunks of steel to gring ore but figured out quick, balls where much more efficient.
It would take forever to grind the sharp edges off just processing ore.
Gt...
From the bottles charged into the mill, I now have more than enough silica to carry out a couple of smelts.

The silica is off color from the beer bottles along with some left over residues from the last ore grind.

The labels were included with the glass, just the caps removed.

This mill is 10 years old, using the same balls, but had to replace a worn out gear reducer then at a latter date the motor burnt out. Its had plenty of use and the drum is holding up just fine.

silica1.jpg

silica2.jpg

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
From the bottles charged into the mill, I now have more than enough silica to carry out a couple of smelts.

The silica is off color from the beer bottles along with some left over residues from the last ore grind.

The labels were included with the glass, just the caps removed.

This mill is 10 years old, using the same balls, but had to replace a worn out gear reducer then at a latter date the motor burnt out. Its had plenty of use and the drum is holding up just fine.

View attachment 1998902
View attachment 1998903
Heres a pic of the rod pieces i have next to some ore, cant remember how long we used for, it wasnt to long. Also a pic of actual mill balls.
We had a thru put mill so it didnt get opened till full cleanout when we changed ore type...
20211227_144001_HDR~2.jpg
20211227_141736_HDR.jpg

Old days we had a rod mill that used 8ft long 2in rods i think 20 of them it was thru put did a good job grindin 1/8 ore as long as you didnt get carried away on the feed rate.. Now i use an arrastra to grind my ore. little more hands on work. It does what i need it to thats get that yeller out of the rock..
Gt...

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Recycled glass melts at a lower temperature than silica.

Mixing cullet with other materials reduces the amount of energy it takes to make glass because cullet melts at a lower temperature than glass’s other components.

If glass makers mix 9 parts of raw materials with 1 part of cullet, their manufacturing processes use energy 2.5 percent more efficiently.

Cullet also helps furnaces last longer, and it’s cheaper to purchase than other raw materials.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
If your using Chapman's flux, one of the ingredients is magnesium dioxide, this element can be recovered from dry cell battery's.

The magnesium dioxide used ammonium chloride for the electrolyte, if you want to remove this it maybe washed out with water.

Dry Cell Batteries contain Ammonium Chloride solution inside them. At the Positive electrode or the carbon rod is the mixture of Manganese Dioxide and Carbon. This is placed inside the Zinc Can which naturally serves as the negative electrode of the battery. There is a free space between the Zinc Can and the Center of the dry cell battery.

Screenshot from 2022-01-08 23-08-54.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Smelting flux's often contain an oxidizing ingredient intended to oxidize base metals, I'm having difficulty locating a local source of potassium nitrate a chemical commonly used in the manufacture of processed meats.

Instead I'm thinking of using an air lance to inject compressed air into the molten mixture.

Attachments

• Sparger.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 69
OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
More on flux's and their purpose.

Borax – comes in both hydrous and anhydrous forms and the latter is
recommended as the former must lose its water of crystallisation and therefore
tends to cause greater heat losses. Borax fuses at the relatively low melting point
of 742 o C, this appreciably lowers the fusion point of all slags and it also acts as an
excellent solvent for base metal oxides. The rational formula Na 2 O.2B 2 O 3 indicates
an excess of acid and dissolves and fluxes practically all metal oxides, both acid and
base. Borax also exhibits good fluidity in the molten state.

Silica – with a melting point of 1750 o C is the strongest acid reagent available. It
combines readily with metal oxides to form silicates. The main problem with silica
based slags is that they are very viscous and hence hold metal shot in suspension,
however when fluxed with borax, borosilicates are formed. These slags still exhibit
a high solubility for base metal oxides while affording control of fluidity. For further
reference material on borosilicate and silicate ratios, any assaying text should be
helpful.

Soda Ash – which melts at 825 o C is a powerful basic flux and is by far one of the
cheapest available. Owing to the ease with which alkaline sulphides and sulphates
are formed it acts as a desulphurising and oxidizing agent and possesses a very
high fluidity. Care must be taken when using soda as a fluxing agent as an excess
will yield a very sticky and hygroscopic slag which is difficult to clean from the
ingot. Also a strong soda based slag reacts exothermically with water and contact
with skin can result in severe irritation.

Nitre- or potassium nitrate is a powerful oxidising agent which melts at 339 o C. It
fuses at low temperature without alteration but at higher temperatures 500-600 o C
breaks up giving off oxygen which oxidises sulphur and many metals, notably lead,
iron and copper. A word of warning when using nitre is to control the amount
required as liberation of oxygen is a vigorous reaction and apart from overflowing
the crucible, will cause excessive crucible erosion. Nitre reacts with graphite
according to this reaction
4 KNO 3 + 5C →2 K 2 CO 3 + 3CO 2 + 2N 2

Charcoal- is used where a reducing atmosphere is required over a charge. As a
general fluxing agent for the treatment of concentrates it would find very little use.
However it is included in the flux list because of its obvious reducing capabilities.
Carbon does not become active until a temperature of 500-600 o C but can be used
effectively on a high copper content bullion to reduce heavy oxidation. It has been
used at the Mint for this function as a heavy oxide skin can cause sampling and
assaying problems.

Manganese Dioxide-is an effective oxidising agent, but more importantly has a
high affinity for sulphur and is in fact used extensively in desulphurising steels.
Hence if it is known that a concentrate has a high sulphide content, then
manganese dioxide as a fluxing agent is most beneficial.

Fluorspar- like Borax increases the fluidity of almost any slag. How it does this is
somewhat of a mystery, since its melting point of 1380 o C is above that normally
intended for precious metal smelting. Most authorities state that it is inert and
does not enter, to any extent, into combination with the other constituents of the
charge.

Screenshot from 2022-01-08 21-43-09.png

Attachments

• SALT-II-SYMPOSIA.pdf
    992 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I have several samples of milled sulfide ores which I intend to smelt. instead of using magnesium dioxide to scavenge the sulfur I'll first roast the ore. Which will also drive off other volatile elements.

It's beginning to look like my basic flux recipe will consist of Borax, Ground glass, Fuorspar with a lead collector.

Chapman's Flux Recipe.

Screenshot from 2022-01-08 23-08-54.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
My first centrifuge, the tan colored stuff in the bowel is what I'm after when the copper shows up I then know all the precious values have been removed.

In the plastic container you can see the accumulation of gold.

centrifuge 1.jpg

centrifuge 2.jpg

centrifuge 3.jpg

centrifuge 4.jpg

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know already that one can take an 3450RPM motor and step it up for the power source for a centrifuge. Looks like you are finding some interesting results. Interesting.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Since I can't get out dredging / prospecting like I USED TO DO , Instead I like to build tools and to build tools to make tools ! I like sitting / working in my shop tinkering . Some of these tools I don't need but just want to build them . this Spring I may be moving to another state and this will end my home shop building tools OR much of anything else for that matter. So I gotta say , when you are able OR have enough money , get out there and just do it NOW before your in the same boat I'm in now ! I'm glad I got out there and got to meet a lot of people and did lots of different types of prospecting using most of the mining methods ! GREAT MEMORIES will last forever for me !

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
New sample arrived in this mornings mail,

Most prospectors know to add a drop of dish soap to the water being used for the final cleanup of ones gold concentrates.

Soap breaks the surface tension on the water but also wets the surface of the hydrophobic gold particles.

In the pan of black sand below I've covered with just enough water to cover, the float and a couple of bright spots which have migrated then accumulated at the edge of the pan.

The accumulation of precious metals as mentioned are hydrophobic and are trying to escape.

This is the principal on which the Miller table works, add a bit of dish soap to the water this will assist the fine gold and platinum to stick to the table mat.

float1.JPG

float2.png

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Hedley BC sample fluxed now waiting for a break in the weather.

Still need to build a furnace, probably heat it with propane.

Black sand, Borax, Silica, Soda Ash and Fluorspar.

Had I choose to use only Borax / Soda Ash which both have high fluidity, with the addition of Silica there was a need to add a bit of Fluorspar to give this medium fluidity.

In the future, since Silica is one of the strongest fluxe's available to me at near zero cost. I'm going to do a smelt using only Silica with Fluorspar as a thinning agent.

20220304_112930.jpg

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hedley BC sample fluxed now waiting for a break in the weather.

Still need to build a furnace, probably heat it with propane.

Black sand, Borax, Silica, Soda Ash and Fluorspar.

Had I choose to use only Borax / Soda Ash which both have high fluidity, with the addition of Silica there was a need to add a bit of Fluorspar to give this medium fluidity.

In the future, since Silica is one of the strongest fluxe's available to me at near zero cost. I'm going to do a smelt using only Silica with Fluorspar as a thinning agent.

View attachment 2013686
Some rock flows in nature are just full of Silica and Fluorspar. With the process making pockets, seams etc. of minerals left behind.

Where does one get good old fire brick these days at a reasonable cost?

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Try your local pottery supply, they'll have what your looking for and more.

As an experiment I'm going to use local clay from one of the local farms for my furnace build.

If my smelt produces positive results then I'll build a furnace from a castable refractory.

Canadian price.

refractory.png

Screenshot from 2022-03-05 15-09-25.png

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I had put the word out that I was looking for an oil burner from a forced air furnace, after a week with no results. I was beginning to give up any hope of finding one.

Yesterday a buddy informed me that he has an old furnace in one of the house's that he owns. The bad part is it's a 4 hour round trip.

My upcoming smelt results will determine wither or not it's worth the time and fuel to make that trip.

First couple of smelts will be done using propane.

The torch I have uses liquid propane, using this type of torch there are no bottle freeze ups. And its twice the BTU's of any tiger torch ever built.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
BTU Rating
500,000 btu/hr @ 25 psi
Fuel Liquid L.P. Gas (Propane)
Fuel Connection 9/16" - 18 LH (Ball Seat)
Coil Diameter 4-3/4"
Coil Material 1/4" Mild Steel
Length 28"
Height 7"
Weight 6 lbs.
Color Blue

torch.png

tiger.png

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can get burners from old gas clothes dryers.
You may find that old steam cleaners for sale on Craig's list may have oil burners just have to ask and check.

OP
OP
alloy_II

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
You can get burners from old gas clothes dryers.
You may find that old steam cleaners for sale on Craig's list may have oil burners just have to ask and check.
I'm specifically looking for an oil burner made by Beckett.

Screenshot from 2022-03-05 22-17-40.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions