602.8 KB · Views: 134

pencil5757

Apr 29, 2006
Jasper Texas
Detector(s) used
-Garrett AT-PRO, Ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Anchor plate is a "Neck Stock Medallion" from the continental Navy from the Revolutionary War. That's where the Marines got the name "Leather-Necks" a neck stock is a leather chocker I sent you a PM.

Upvote 1

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lady is a suspender clip, there are some folks here who can tell you more about it than I can, I know I've seen the anchor piece before, but I'm drawing a blank trying to remember

Upvote 0

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suspender clip all the way..or an overgrown garter clip..I dig hundreds of these things

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I have seen one of those anchor thingys before....here is one that I found, but sorry, no clue as to what it went to. Yes very thin and fragile.

mmmm.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info everyone :)

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, never did I think it to be from that era. two birds with one stone. Both of these anchors from Florida too.

Upvote 0

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Btoots. Outstanding find!! That site needs more inspection. C9

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that anchor plate is a great find.

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a little confused as I read over these old posts concerning one found by cdsieg. We're these actually associated with CW naval regiments, Rev War, or more modern usage? My curiosity is based on the one I found as well as the OPs example. I had never bothered researching mine because I had thought it to be more modern. But yes, the Navy was here in Florida during the CW, part of the Blockading Squadron that ran up and down the coasts and they did come ashore on more than one occasion. So I guess, I am still not sure on this ID, basically because of skeptics in the linked post.The one that the OP found as well as mine are sheet brass and not pewter. Was that a red flag in the info provided? my inquiry is purely out of wanting to know the accuracy of the ID. For myself it is historically important to my own record and notes. Thanks vn

Upvote 0

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a little confused as I read over these old posts concerning one found by cdsieg. We're these actually associated with CW naval regiments, Rev War, or more modern usage? My curiosity is based on the one I found as well as the OPs example. I had never bothered researching mine because I had thought it to be more modern. But yes, the Navy was here in Florida during the CW, part of the Blockading Squadron that ran up and down the coasts and they did come ashore on more than one occasion. So I guess, I am still not sure on this ID, basically because of skeptics in the linked post.The one that the OP found as well as mine are sheet brass and not pewter. Was that a red flag in the info provided? my inquiry is purely out of wanting to know the accuracy of the ID. For myself it is historically important to my own record and notes. Thanks vn

Write to the publishers of the North South Trader ..reference the issue mentioned above .. and see if they can elaborate any more on their identification.

Upvote 0

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
Great find, especially for being so fragile. A question though, if they used pewter disks
in the revolutionary war, anyone know when they changed to the copper or brass ones?

Upvote 0

pencil5757

Apr 29, 2006
Jasper Texas
Detector(s) used
-Garrett AT-PRO, Ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, especially for being so fragile. A question though, if they used pewter disks
in the revolutionary war, anyone know when they changed to the copper or brass ones?

I don't know about the pewter ones on sashes! Everyone I know of we're copper and were on leather maybe for officers, but they were Rev. War and that's how the Marines got the name leather-necks

Upvote 0

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
I don't know about the pewter ones on sashes! Everyone I know of we're copper and were on leather maybe for officers, but they were Rev. War and that's how the Marines got the name leather-necks

I'm just going off the article posted above by Mud Hut that states they were pewter in the Revolutionary War

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had contacted the publisher of the article referenced by Mudhut, and I was told that they have seen these in both pewter and brass and that maybe.....this was to differentiate rank... but that was not a certainty.Was told they would get back with me if they could verify, but you know how that goes. Odd to find these in Florida, one would think.

Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread