Honest opinions on Tejon vs. Vaquero

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Tesoros are no longer being made, and I will be getting a newer VDI machine to add to the stable later on, but I just like hunting with these analog detectors.

I have a Tejon and I'm starting to get good with it, but I'm wondering if swapping it for a Vaquero would be good decision?

It seems I'd be sacrificing dual disc and a bit of depth for the ease of only needing one 9v battery to operate. What say ye, Treasurenet?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vaquero is a blast. Runs all day on a 9v battery, just as deep as my new whizbang, latest software upgraded F75 monster that needs a trailer to lug around....

Of course someone will be by shortly to remind you how bad Tesoro sucks after loving them so many years; in 3....2....1.......

:dontknow:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have room for them, why not have both and one can be the backup for the other. And since the Vaquero and Tejon (and Cibola) take the same coils, adding a Vaquero to the stable could be an opportunity for a new coil as well. I keep a spare Cibola, the black one, to go with my green Cibola, just to have that DD coil that comes standard with the black cibola.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't need a Vaquero if you have a Tejon. :skullflag:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I currently have every machine listed on my "profile".

When I go hunting I grab the Tejon. It "beeps" with me :)

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Take the Vaquero and don't look back.. Tejon too chattery and depth little if any deeper. Big plus for the 9v battery. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II Ī¼MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got ā€˜em both. I really like using the Tejon better - except for the extra weight (not that much extra) and its hunger for batteries. Depth on both is similar but Tejonā€™s really is a little better. I like the second disc circuit of the Tejon and have mine set for a coin check (when I donā€™t care about nickels or gold..).
Nicest things about Vaquero are good depth and the 9v lasts and lasts.. Both are very good land Tesoros and both find gold rings.. Tejon is a bit more special - but Iā€™m out of AAā€™s so lately, the Vaquero has been out.

Next outing may be to a trashier spot - so itā€™ll probably be the Bandido or my Eldorado, which hasnā€™t been out for a long time.

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's one Vaquero listed on eBay right now. Bidding starts at $350. Shipping is $20.

I'm wondering what the current going rate for a used Vaquero is. Don't want to overpay if I decide to add one to my collection soon.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's one Vaquero listed on eBay right now. Bidding starts at $350. Shipping is $20.

I'm wondering what the current going rate for a used Vaquero is. Don't want to overpay if I decide to add one to my collection soon.

Donā€™t overpay - unless I decide to sell mine, of course. :)

I really donā€™t know what they go for now. About a year before Tesoro shut down, I saw some going for around $200 - but that was then.

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wouldn't happen to have a Golden uMax that you wouldn't mind parting ways with now would you, pinenut? 8-)

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You wouldn't happen to have a Golden uMax that you wouldn't mind parting ways with now would you, pinenut? 8-)

Thatā€™s one I wouldnā€™t mind playing with - never bought one though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread