🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Hooded man holding some playing cards or fan?

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This small brass artifact was found near at a former home site dating to the 1840s that also yielded a 1930 dog license, needle valve, and part of a hot comb. It appears to be a man wearing a hood and moustache holding some playing cards or fan in 1 hand and pointing to it/them with the other. A bit of rust on the one end could be what is left of a stud that it was once screw to. There may be a “Shriners” fez hat on top of the head – as it doesn’t appear to be broken off.

Any ideas as to who/what this represents and how old it is?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing it's the top of a stick pin. Turn of the 20th C give or take a decade. Victorians/Edwardians were way in to anything supernatural or occult. Maybe this guy is pointing to tarot cards.
DCMatt, thanks for the tip - will definitely pursue. Have a good Thanksgiving!

Reactions: Fat
Upvote 1

Russoca

Jan 31, 2019
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT E-Tracker, Nokta Macro Simplex+
Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell, does it have a passage top/bottom? Could be a decorative bottle stopper/pourer.

Also....kinda looks like the ZigZag man! 😂

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell, does it have a passage top/bottom? Could be a decorative bottle stopper/pourer.

Also....kinda looks like the ZigZag man! 😂
Thanks, there is no passage per se. Still the idea that it is part of a stopper is one I hadn't thought of.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Including 2 more pics. #4 is the bottom view that shows the iron/steel stud broken off inside the base of the artifact. A rusty crust has formed around the base. #5 is a top view showing the fez-like hat is solid.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 1

DawnNC

Oct 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This small brass artifact was found near at a former home site dating to the 1840s that also yielded a 1930 dog license, needle valve, and part of a hot comb. It appears to be a man wearing a hood and moustache holding some playing cards or fan in 1 hand and pointing to it/them with the other. A bit of rust on the one end could be what is left of a stud that it was once screw to. There may be a “Shriners” fez hat on top of the head – as it doesn’t appear to be broken off.

Any ideas as to who/what this represents and how old it is?
Could it be a piece off of an old mechanical bank?
Maybe that’s a stack of money he’s fanning out ;)

Upvote 1

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
It looks like your picture of the base shows what have been a hole with the stud from another part snaped off in it.
My thoughts are it may have been a lamp topper.

Upvote 1

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting that the figure is pointing to what he is holding in his hand. I think it's cards...

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like your picture of the base shows what have been a hole with the stud from another part snaped off in it.
My thoughts are it may have been a lamp topper.
HuntinDog, thanks! I agree w/ the stud snapping off. WIll look into lamp topper. Regardless if I can confirm the ID, it will be one of the artifacts I include in the educational display case I'm making for the property and donating to the owner (local park district). That way people can learn about the history.

Upvote 0

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a gambler and those are fanned out $$ bills
Yes, that was one of the suggestions. Personally, I doubt that banknotes would have had the same meaning or excitement then that Federal Reserve notes do today. Our modern notes have a universal appeal and agreed-upon value; I think that would have been less likely at the time this was made, whatever it is, when different banks issued their own notes..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions