Hookah system

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
krygg5 said:
Im new to dredging and need a hookah system. I was just wondering because i have a small old air compressor to run tools off and was wondering if there is anyway to make a hookah system with that.

They do make oil,scrubbers but would be a better idea and probally cheaper to buy a t80
What r u using it for?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its yur life...DO NOT SKIMP,OR SUBSTITUTE,you can half azz a lot of things on a dredge,but dont fiddle fart around with anything to do with your AIR

OP
OP
K

krygg5

Feb 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The compresor i have does not use oil in it. Do you know the best way to get a t80 for cheap? Can you run two divers off a t80?

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No but I use a compressor that looks a lot like a nail gun comp-

But I also had it tested to be sure they run about 600 new
Do so e research and testing befor you breath thru that
The com presure I use is the same as a hooka max system it will run4 divers at 15 ft

You need to know what kind of piston it has in it

Iv herd a couple say t80 will dive 2 but I don't see how there really just good for 1 person

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A T-80 is good for 2 people if you are only a few feet deep. Beyond that you should only have a single person on a T-80. There are hookah compressors made for multiple divers for full depth.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jason in Enid said:
A T-80 is good for 2 people if you are only a few feet deep. Beyond that you should only have a single person on a T-80. There are hookah compressors made for multiple divers for full depth.

Iv herd more than one person say that Jason . But after using one I don't see how I'm always looking for more air with them.
I know proline pulley setup spins them a little harder and iv never used one on a proline dredge.
Now the kac from keene does a little better and gast even better than the kac but the best hooka system iv ever used is the hooka max setup
They sell them for 1800 but I found. The same compressor for 600 at northern tool and have been diving with it for 4 years now.i had the air tested its oilless
It makes 160psi and will run 4 divers to about 30 ft and that's working.
It has a Honda engine 5hp .. it's a pretty mean hooka system for what it cost.
Gary

OP
OP
K

krygg5

Feb 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, How deep could you go with 2 divers on a t 80?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a T-80 on my Proline with a large reserve tank I can put 2 divers down but only to about 8 feet.You have to control your breathing or you will be out of air fast.Go with a bigger comp spend money once and be happy happy happy.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
modify to strenghten a t-80 output--first drill out the air filter holes to double their size---smaller pulley on t-80 increases revs-reduce only 1 inch as past that you'll create too much heat. Install a brass t valve directly to the compressor and run 2 air reserve tanks. Adjust the overload blow off valve way down to produce more air and good to go with 2 divers to 10' UNLESS you have a panicy airhog gulper, than a righteous dual piston GAST ONLY is required. NO insane snorkel dorkel to suck up hot rising heat,oil and carbon dioxide vapors either. A simple directional flow adaptor to the engine exhaust sends it up and away(watch engine intake also as must be on opposite side) and KEEP that dredge away from brush and junk by the shore. Get a headache or weird taste in your mouth GET OUTTA THAT WATER ASAP. Found a floater once and crawdads and critters make a mess quick like-John

Last edited:

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
John's right about the second diver. You get someone who uses a lot of air and the T80 just won't cut it even with the modifications. Ask me how I know!

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also spare air bottle are much cheaper than funeral service about 100dollars on eBay !

They will save your rear at so,e pointe or not if you don't have them!

Pi_Rat

Feb 11, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Excal II 8" Stealth scoop 720i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have recently just bought these items on ebay for a Hookah setup:
Quiet Compressor from An Oxygen Concentrator Neat Double Head Unknown Potential | eBay
Draeger DRAGER 50 ft Heavy Duty Lightweight Breathing Hose 4059062 L Tested New | eBay
Draeger DRAGER Lung Demand Valve LDV Model BRXC0344 for Mask Tested | eBay

I have an invacare aluminum medical tank I plan to use for my buffer tank. The compressor is oil less and used on oxygen concentrator's that are built to run 24/7 for a year at a time before a rebuild is needed. It has a plastic relief valve that probably should be replaced with a threaded spring loaded relief valve. As far as the regulator goes I'm not sure if it will work under water. I'll test in shallows before going to depth. For what I paid for the regulator if I modify it and break it, it will be no major loss. Testing at 5ft wont kill me. I have taken snorkel gulps without major peril. All I need to do is find all the proper fittings to plumb everything together and I'll be good to go. I would like to test it to see if it can support multiple divers and at depths to 30 ft. I checked out the company that builds the compressor and the site has stats on the model. I think the stats are dependent on the plastic relief valve. The relief valve on the compressor is plastic and can not be reset once blown at 50psi. I'm thinking if the compressor is threaded and equiped with a spring loaded reset valve it might be able to support more divers and definitely be a more viable compressor for hookah.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That compressor won't work. It is designed to only supply a few PSI. Just like a dredge pump, your air pump must supply BOTH pressure and volume to be useful.

Pi_Rat

Feb 11, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think it will. Not to be confrontational Silver Fiend, but what makes you think it wont. Here is a link to the compressor stats.
Compressors - WOB-L - 2660 Series | GD-Thomas
http://www.gd-thomas.com/productsubcategorylist.aspx?tp=pv&tc=10698
Also look at the 2665 series same design with special coating and pressure relief valve rated to 100+psi

The compressor model number is 2660CE32-190 it is of the same series 2660. Made by Rietschle. 4.6 cfm 45 psi. When you compare it to hookah max compressor stats or brownies compressor stats the compressor is very doable. As stated earlier the psi is limited by the plastic pressure valve built into the compressor. The CFM blows away Hookah Max compressors rated for two divers to 30ft. Hookah max 12v system is rated at 2.55 cfm 65 psi does a single diver to 50 ft and two divers to 30 ft. I have not looked at the brownies compressors. If 4.6 cfm and 50 psi is not enough than what should be enough to cover one diver to 30ft and what covers 2 divers to 30ft? What is inadequate with this compressor? I'll email company to find exact stats on the model instead of approximate comparison.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No confrontation, adults can discuss differing viewpoints without it being a fight (at least some adults can) Anyway, if those are the stats for that compressor it's possible it could work if you can supply the power needed.

Pi_Rat

Feb 11, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Power is the downside. It would probably be easier to machine a new shaft that extends through the motor and compressor, or hookup an external 12v motor. I'm not sure if there is a 12v motor adaptable. I don't want to tear it apart to find out if I can adapt a pully system that runs through the middle. If I'm going to be using my setup with a 12v supply. I'll probably just use an inverter. Power Inverters, AC Converters, Digital Inverters - Walmart.com The downside is I have no idea how long the 12v battery will last. I could always hook everything up and do a test run with just the compression drawing on the battery. Do a couch dive test it for an hour or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread