Hookah system

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All this work isn't worth the risk .... just for saving such a little bit cash .. At the end of the day you'll put much more time and risk your health
It just inst worth. It .....

T-80 compressors are cheap and can be rigged to any kind of motor or engine
Old lawn engines ect wich are very cheep ....
Also gast compressor are also cheap and even better. Than a t-80 and the same can be done with those
I just picked up a gast with a motor attached for 100 dollars and it new never been used ....
It 110 or 220 ...
I see gast compressor all the time on eBay very cheap....

And there no guess work ! Simple to set up and you don't have to worry about what the piston is made of
Just because something is oilless doesn't mean it safe to breath !

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: $100 ----what a steal!!luv them gast above all others,so do thieves so be careful. Nuttn' wrong with the ol' Thomas t-80 paint compressor but brownie,never heard a good reliable word on it or any other yet as some new out but MUST be proven by 100 of hours of daily usage for me to buy. John

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago, down in the Florda Keys I build one the same way the other divers did; & had no
problem with it. The air intake should be located in an area open to clean,fresh air. (not crammed
in an enclosed area) The output side should have a filter(large area one) This is how we made
them. 4 foot X 4 inch PVC pipe, with caps for both ends. A ladies nylon stocking, 6 in. clean sand,
6 in. activated charcoal, 6 in. sand, 6 in. activated charcoal, etc. to the top. tie off stocking.
Place cap (threaded caps work best) Drill holes,insert air hose fittings. Done
COMMON SENSE THINGS-- Install fittings in caps first. Place nylon in pipe before filling.
This set up would last us about 200 diving hours at 30 feet deep. Remember to use a reserve
Tank fo easier (steady) breathing.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best deal iv found is a compressor mounted on a Honda 5hp it's the exact same as the hooka max rig but it cost 600 from nothern tool

It will dive 4 plus divers at 10 to 15 ft look at hookah max on eBay and you will see a package they sell for 1800 ....
You can buy the same compressor from nothern tool for 599 .. Only thing ya need to do is make a fresh air pick up hose !
Iv used it for several years lobster diving in the Florida key ! ( next best thing to gold diving )
It makes 140 psi and runs along time on a tank of gas

Brownie I think is brownie third lung and they make some very good equipment but its costly
But still alot better then floating belly up from a make shift unit

I think can get more of these of these gast units at the same price just pm me if your interested
I paid 100 dollars and its never had power to it it does 110 or 220 I have a generator on my boat to run ac and I figured it would make a great back up if not a main dive pump

Any how this is the only pic I have on it ... The mod for the fresh air hose took about 20 min and about 5 dollars
Good day

Attachments

• image-1513593543.jpg
    image-1513593543.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 595

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything from northern tool is crap made in china by the lowest bidder. I would NEVER use life support equipment from them!

Pi_Rat

Feb 11, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Excal II 8" Stealth scoop 720i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Update on the compressor. I have no way to measure the compressor I bought on ebay. I had sent an email to the manufacturer. This is what I received in reply:
This compressor has the following ratings:

Minimum Pressure: 20 PSI
Minimum Flow: 2.56 CFM

The 2660CE32-190 is a customer specific model manufactured for our OEM customer Airsep. As this item is proprietary to Airsep any additional information along with replacement parts needs to come from Airsep directly. Airsep can be contacted at Worldwide manufacturer of oxygen generators and oxygen concentrators.

I would bet the max output is higher. Most of which is probably dependent on the overpressure valve that will be needed to be replaced with one that resets. As of right now I would not recommend this compressor due to availability of parts for a rebuild. I'm trying to source that right now. I don't think the OEM manufacturer will sell parts or provide support for the compressor. I'm going to go forward with completing my planned hookah project with the compressor. Once I get everything together and complete I will post a final update. Hopefully the final post wont be in the form of an obituary. lol

Pi_Rat

Feb 11, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Excal II 8" Stealth scoop 720i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What kind of regulator r u using?

Draeger LDV Model BRXC0344. I'm not sure if it is immediately good for underwater use. I'm picking it up tomorrow from the Post. I have read on some dive forums that it is modifiable. I figure for $10 it will be no major loss if I ruin it modifying it. I'll be able to salvage the pig tail safety pull out hose that attaches to the reg. I can make a delrin or other plastic mouth piece adapter to fit a regular scuba mouth piece. If the draeger is a fail I would like to see how useable a scubapro 109 is, it is adjustable and rebuildable. I need to research the scubapro reg a bit more to see if it is adjustable down to hookah pressure. Haven't purchased the scubapro yet. On some dive forums they have talked about modifying the draeger. For $10 there's only one way to find out.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
one really big problem with useing this rig. the tank is made of steel and with the warm moisture in the compressed air the tank WILL rust and flakes of rust WILL enter your lungs! you wont be able to filter the rust out even if you use a filter!!!!PERIOD! otherwise its a neat little compressor unit!

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pi_Rat said:
Draeger LDV Model BRXC0344. I'm not sure if it is immediately good for underwater use. I'm picking it up tomorrow from the Post. I have read on some dive forums that it is modifiable. I figure for $10 it will be no major loss if I ruin it modifying it. I'll be able to salvage the pig tail safety pull out hose that attaches to the reg. I can make a delrin or other plastic mouth piece adapter to fit a regular scuba mouth piece. If the draeger is a fail I would like to see how useable a scubapro 109 is, it is adjustable and rebuildable. I need to research the scubapro reg a bit more to see if it is adjustable down to hookah pressure. Haven't purchased the scubapro yet. On some dive forums they have talked about modifying the draeger. For $10 there's only one way to find out.

I'm not familiar with that reg but iv used lots of different regs and most of them suck if you don't find someone who know how to build them for low pressure systems !
There are some springs that need to be changed out! As most regulator are designed to work from 75 to 150 psi ... Even the adjustable ones will usally only work or adjust from those. Ranges ... Well let me reframe that they will work but you have to work or pull alot harder to actuate them
I have several regulator and didnt even realize how bad they were until I had one done right and man what a difference .

The problems stim from the lower presure setup usally used on dredges they run about 30 psi so most regulator need to be balanced for that presure range...
But What ever ya do just be careful and I'd recommend spare air bottles I know alot of folks can't see where you might need them dredging but its those situations you can't think of where they will save your life!

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reviving and old thread....

I'm working on putting together a lightweight hooka sniping rig, I already have a t-80 on an engine plate, I also have 2 engine options,

First is a 2.5hp(97cc) China motor off of a 2" Jobe highbanker pump, has a 5/8" horiz. Keyed shaft.

Second is a Honda 2.5hp (50cc) GXH50 of of our 2" back packer dredge.

The GXH50 would be my first choice as it would be lighter, quieter, and more fuel efficient. I haven't verified the shaft yet.

Question would be, can the GXH50 run a T-80 effectively? And if so what size pulleys should I use? The T-80 has a 6" pulley now.

Or would the other motor be a better option?

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brandon use the equivalent to the standard Keene pulley and a 4L320 1/2" x 32" V belt and you are good to go. If it was me I would use the Honda but either will work just fine. If you need any thing else or just want to bounce something call Mark at Keene, he'll take your call. Be patient and quick as he takes EVERYBODY's calls but you'll get the straight scope

Mike Dunn at the Gold Pan is close to you and he should be able to help you out too if is he is back form the river

ratled

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the honda should torque out at 4500 rpm not sure what the throttle would be set at, might get a tiny tach,
should work pretty good, you can always throttle down if your getting enough air.
the t-80 should be at about 1800 rpm, so a 2 1/2" pulley at 4500rpm and a 6" on the t-80 would give 1875rpm
this calculator will also give the size belt to get Pulley Calculator. RPM, Belt Length, Speed, Animated Diagrams

which side of the motor is the exhaust? when a t-80 it's mounted on a dredge motor to fit the pump and stay away from the exhaust
might have to mount it on the other side of the motor?

maybe the other motor would fit on the mounting plate with less problems.
make sure the pulleys are perfectly aligned, I learned the hard way and had one pulley explode into pieces.

Last edited:

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the tips guys, I will let you know how it turns out, working on it this weekend.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures or it didn't happen!!:laughing7:

ratled

Last edited:

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not gonna get to it this project this weekend but it will happen, headed to miners rally in Nevada City now. Too many projects going on at once. Lol.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I blaming Brandon for planting the seed in my head on this I might as well share the results. I had an almost new T80 sitting around when he revived this thread and have been wanting a snipping rig too. I was looking at Harbor Freight and they had 3.5 hp knock off motors on sale for $99 and $6 ship, throw in a 20% coupon and that's a $79 motor. A quick call to Armadillo in Grants Pass and I had a new P2 base plate for it. Looking forward to trying it out

ratle

Last edited:

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the build, Mine is still sitting on the garage floor in pieces, put on the back burner for the moment, need to find more time for these projects, lol ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444621820.718431.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread