Hoot Owl Trees & Pointer Rocks of the KGC

Signman

Feb 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, to look at 2 pictures of trees and think you can definitively say that they are not man made, that they are definitely natural is just bizarre. If you have any real world KGC hunting experience, you would know that you must take things in full context of the layout. So these 2 trees I posted are very deep out in the woods of East Texas. Why did I go there in the first place where the trees are located? Because I decoded a map tree and it pointed to 4 locations and these 2 trees were at one of the locations. As I followed the layout, the taller of the 2 trees was actually a marker in the layout. I'll attach a small picture of the map tree. Can you figure it out?

Owl.jpg

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very interesting thank you for sharing your photos. I would like to know how far apart were the trees with the markings.

Signman

Feb 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi cyzak, I apologize as I don't quite understand your question. I showed two pointer trees in a previous post and I showed a map tree with a carving of an 'owl' on my last post. The distance between the carved beech tree with the 'owl' and the 2 pointer trees is about 1.25 miles. Hopefully that is what you wanted to know.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is what I wanted to know thanks for sharing that info.

Signman

Feb 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a pointer tree (not in the same layout as the previous pictures) which is made from oak. The vertical limb splits into 2 and just above the top of the picture both limbs have a beech limb grafted on them. The 2nd picture clearly shows this. You can see the fine line separating the rough oak bark below and the smooth beech bark above. Gave me chills when I found this tree and not because it was cold and rainy that day. :laughing7:

Hootowl.jpg Beech grafted on oak.jpg

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know Signman personally. Trust me - this isn't his first rodeo. He's forgotten more than many have ever known. He's found gold doing this, which is more than what most armchair pundits have done. At least he's humble regarding the insults here. I wouldn't suffer fools myself.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a pointer tree (not in the same layout as the previous pictures) which is made from oak. The vertical limb splits into 2 and just above the top of the picture both limbs have a beech limb grafted on them. The 2nd picture clearly shows this. You can see the fine line separating the rough oak bark below and the smooth beech bark above. Gave me chills when I found this tree and not because it was cold and rainy that day. :laughing7:

View attachment 1866301 View attachment 1866302

In my area I have found trees with carvings and trees that do not belong to the area that were brought from another area. Some trees I have done dendrochronology on to determine age so I know I am dealing with the right time frame.I have never seen one grafted that is an awesome find to come across I hope you have good luck with your quest thank you for sharing.

Signman

Feb 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be curious what you mean by the right time frame. I would suggest being careful with using the trees to gauge when the layout was put down. When I started hunting KGC my assumption was that they were active in the late 1800s to early 1900s. In this layout, the loggers came through and clear cut the site and ruined it. I was able to look at one of the trees laying on its side before they hauled it off. This was a tree that was marked and was used in the layout. It had over 200 rings. However this is not an indicator of how old the site is. This site was created back in the 80s....the 1980s. The site I'm currently hunting in the desert southwest was created in the 1960s. There are a few ways you can date the site. One way is to look for mining records. You can see if there was ever a mining claim on the property. This is especially suspicious when there is a mining claim filed for a mineral that isn't present in the area. There are a couple of other ways that I've found but I'm not going to put those on an internet forum. Good luck to you!

Signman

Feb 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area I have found trees with carvings and trees that do not belong to the area that were brought from another area. Some trees I have done dendrochronology on to determine age so I know I am dealing with the right time frame.I have never seen one grafted that is an awesome find to come across I hope you have good luck with your quest thank you for sharing.

I forgot to say that at the site I'm hunting in the desert, I have the same thing you mention. There are lots of Juniper trees. We found one pointer tree in this layout. The bottom half of it was Juniper and the top half was some unknown tree grafted on it. It really stood out because we hadn't seen a tree like it anywhere else in the area. They were/are some smart people.

Have a look at this massive one pointing 2 directions.
Hoot1.jpg

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to say that at the site I'm hunting in the desert, I have the same thing you mention. There are lots of Juniper trees. We found one pointer tree in this layout. The bottom half of it was Juniper and the top half was some unknown tree grafted on it. It really stood out because we hadn't seen a tree like it anywhere else in the area. They were/are some smart people.

Have a look at this massive one pointing 2 directions.
View attachment 1866430
Impressive!
Thanks for sharing.

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hi Signman. I'm just east on I 20 from you in North Louisiana. I'm assuming your close to Hwy 80 (dixie overland Highway). I have the same trail trees and similar carvings here. There is a trail tree roughy the same age as your first pic behind my house. I'm assuming it's from the 1800's, but I too find signs/sites that seem to date into the 1970's or so. I am by means no expert, but looking @ your owl carving I get the impression its telling you there is a burial close by to the left of the carving. I also think it is telling you to travel on to the right of the carving & look for signs of a second burial. I'm looking at the ears, stomach, and branch it's sitting on to draw these conclusions. I also find snakes carved up a trunk or high up on a limb on one site that has an owl carving here. You should also have pointer limbs in the shape of a sideways z or they might remind you of a sway backed horse (almost a u shape). These are used alot around my area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread