Hope to get back into detecting.. been out since 2017. Heath issues and losing leg from knee down.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was heavily into beach and water hunting for years I have hunted beaches from Maine to Key west and Bermuda. I lost my right leg after shattering my foot and fighting years of infection am finally getting strength back and next week I will be fitted for a prosthetic. Is there any one that hunts beaches or water with a prosthetic leg? I am looking for some feedback.. I am not sure if I will be able to do it but I have to give it a try. I was told I had days to live last year on June 10th and here it is 1 year and a month later I am healthier and stronger than I have been in 5 years. Thank you for any advice you can provide

Last edited:
Upvote 15
OP
OP
BEACH-HUNTER

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
I was heavily into beach and water hunting for years I have hunted years beaches from Maine to Key west and Bermuda. I am finally getting strength back and next week I will be fitted for a prosthetic. Is there any one that hunts beaches or water with a prosthetic leg? I am looking for some feedback.. I am not sure if I will be able to do it but I have to give it a try. I was told I had days to live last year on June 10th and here it is 1 year and a month later I am healthier and stronger than I have been in 5 years. Thank you for any advice you can provide
I meant to include I am from Northern Massachusetts and have family property in Maine.. I primarily hunted north shore beaches of MA, NH and the Maine coast . If I am able to get back into detecting I will be hunting these areas.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a fellow beach hunting in Central Florida, East coast with a prosthetic leg. He was swinging a Excal on a long shaft staying mostly in the dry sand. I talked to him a little bit and showed him my scoop with the long curved assist handle. He was a younger fellow, probably a vet but I didn't ask. He was enjoying the hobby, I told him I enjoy the hobby and walking the beach, getting exercise and building up my stamina. If you go at low tide and work the firm wet sand you can be pretty successful. A long handled scoop so you don't have to bend would help.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was heavily into beach and water hunting for years I have hunted years beaches from Maine to Key west and Bermuda. I am finally getting strength back and next week I will be fitted for a prosthetic. Is there any one that hunts beaches or water with a prosthetic leg? I am looking for some feedback.. I am not sure if I will be able to do it but I have to give it a try. I was told I had days to live last year on June 10th and here it is 1 year and a month later I am healthier and stronger than I have been in 5 years. Thank you for any advice you can provide
I battle a prosthetic for a high amp /modified hip disarticulation.
IF you have a knee , you have prospects to wade again.
Absent a knee you face about 200% more effort.

A "swim leg" is not a usual prosthetic. But allows water use.
Be sure your mad scientist prosthetic builder is aware of your goals , as well as the recommending doctor caring for your amputation. Who may be your liaison to your insurance company (if applicable) determining the necessity /recommendation for a swim leg..

Keep your rehab and exercise going. Strength can fade faster than regaining it as you well know!

Prothetics vary. Disabilities vary.
Yours is unique as any. So it depends more on you and your adaptation.
Get into your prosthetic A.S.A.P..
Delay means you'll be adapting without it.

Do plan to hunt again. You will if you determine you will. Then work towards doing so as you adapt. And you will adapt!

Congrats on the second chance at life. Savor it.

OP
OP
BEACH-HUNTER

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
I battle a prosthetic for a high amp /modified hip disarticulation.
IF you have a knee , you have prospects to wade again.
Absent a knee you face about 200% more effort.

A "swim leg" is not a usual prosthetic. But allows water use.
Be sure your mad scientist prosthetic builder is aware of your goals , as well as the recommending doctor caring for your amputation. Who may be your liaison to your insurance company (if applicable) determining the necessity /recommendation for a swim leg..

Keep your rehab and exercise going. Strength can fade faster than regaining it as you well know!

Prothetics vary. Disabilities vary.
Yours is unique as any. So it depends more on you and your adaptation.
Get into your prosthetic A.S.A.P..
Delay means you'll be adapting without it.

Do plan to hunt again. You will if you determine you will. Then work towards doing so as you adapt. And you will adapt!

Congrats on the second chance at life. Savor it.
Thanks for the encouragement it has been a tough long year since the amputation lots of ups and downs. I will know more the 29th of June. The road is going to be a long one. I have some fight in me..hope it is enough.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9755340521694fc24d60.gif

OP
OP
BEACH-HUNTER

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Thanks.. I think that we have met maybe in the early 2000s I started beach and water hunting in 1996. Have you ever been to the north shore after a Nor'easter? Revere or Nahant ? Did alot of hunting around good harbor Gloucester for a while. I use to help George Streeter with his Revere club hunts. Most of the guy's I hunted with in the early days are gone I'm afraid..use to travel to VA Beach often and hunt with Max and Low tide Tim..did a few good hunts of the OBX.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of my health issues has been diabetic ulcerated toe
been battling for it to heal for at least 2 yrs now
docs dont want me in the waters
we tried graftts and a number of other things - just wont heal fully
its still opens up when its like 99% healed and i have to start over again
only good thing is when it bleeds - its nice fresh blood - which is a good sign
have like 6 friends whose fathers or brothers had same thing and all lost
their toe - then toes - then foot - then leg - then lives ...so they worry for me
Hope youre able to get in and show us some good finds
Soon!

OP
OP
BEACH-HUNTER

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
My brother is suffering from the same issue with his big left toe.. he has made a little progress in the past 2 weeks.. we are hoping that he can keep the toe.

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was heavily into beach and water hunting for years I have hunted beaches from Maine to Key west and Bermuda. I lost my right leg after shattering my foot and fighting years of infection am finally getting strength back and next week I will be fitted for a prosthetic. Is there any one that hunts beaches or water with a prosthetic leg? I am looking for some feedback.. I am not sure if I will be able to do it but I have to give it a try. I was told I had days to live last year on June 10th and here it is 1 year and a month later I am healthier and stronger than I have been in 5 years. Thank you for any advice you can provide
Where there's a will , there's a way ! Congrats on getting your health back. Hope you're able to get back in the water soon ! Good Luck !

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on regaining your health and resuming your hunts....I hope you are able to figure out a way to make it all work and be enjoyable. Perhaps snorkeling will be an easier approach than traditional stand and scoop techniques?? Either way it is uplifting to see someone overcome obstacles and continue there passion !! Congrats to you sir, and im wishing you luck !!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it too early to joke about a getting a wooden peg leg and a parrot to finally become a real pirate? all jokes aside I wish you the best in getting situated to the new circumstances. I never have lost a limb, but I have damaged my knee so badly I had to relearn how to walk on it after 8 months of not using it. While no where near the same as your situation, the recovery and planning to get back to what you love to do is a similar mindset. Keep that end goal in mind and keep working towards it, you could be out swinging sooner that you think!

Lammi

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow good for you getting back out
i crushed my foot at 20 now 60 and always only been able to hunt 3 hrs max per day because of pain
its hard to see people able to hunt for hours and be so limited
not even able to split hunts as recovery from hunting takes at least a day,foot is totally fused
i think of a time when I cannot hunt much at all and decided even if only a hour I’ll take it
Do even little hunts don’t think you need long time out
some of my best finds came in first 20 minutes
should check out guy in Daytona that has a bicycle with a coil on the front then tags hits with flags and goes back and digs them up
very little actual waking and kills it
good luck to you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread